SkyMaxx Pro Released!

Cameron

hi,

i have a question regarding stratus cloud rendering in v1.1.

the stratus clouds currently is a thin layer, feels to be more like a 2d layer. are there any plans to bring some volume/height into it?

decending from blue sky into our very common grey soup in germany is always fascinating, however the transition is pretty flat right now.

regards,

heiko

the stratus clouds currently is a thin layer, feels to be more like a 2d layer. are there any plans to bring some volume/height into it?

Likely not. Cirrus clouds are generally quite high, and traditionally thin overall. We're focused on performance, and the current cirrus solution works just fine for that.

We'll keep it in mind if we ever find ways to get more optimizations in, but again, I wouldn't bank on this one.

• 1 month later...

Hi, after this months of use i noticed that when the clouds layer is very thick (heavy overcast, may be also with rain) the performances are very low even at setting 2 of overcast quality. Sometimes seems to reduce framerate of 10/12 or more, and I need to switch to level one setting and reducing the experience of SMP.

I usually have most of the options maximized, and even if I sometimes experience some fps drop, this is acceptable, but with heavy overcast the performances are really reduced. I tried to tweak settings, but it seems the plugin started to have some problems: changing settings a couple of time reduced the performances at a really low level, making the simulator "un-flyable".

After reading some post here I did not find a solution so I need some advice...

May be this problem is related to the small memory leak found in last days?

What settings I need to tweak to fix this problem? I thought the quality of the textures could solve this but I have no performance improvement. So may be I need to reduce the size of the puffs? I'm sorry but I did not understand well this function and I did not notice what slider modifies what...

The most strange thing is in any case that both CPU and GPU are not at a high load level, especially the GPU, when the overcast problem occurs.

Can you clarify/have a look at this? I also suggest to explain more clearly what the puff-size sliders do in practical use and may be could be nice to have only one slider to set this option.

My spec:

-i7 3770k @4.6

-GTX 680 4GB overclocked

-24 GB Ram

-win 8.1 & x-plane 10 both 64 bit

-1920x1200 single monitor.

Thanks a lot.

Sent from Tapatalk

Edited by Mad Mat

Ok, but you can load and use one OR the other. Not together.

Yes you can,

get the program Ter2Pol and converts .ter orthoscenerys to .pol so u can use your meshes with them, also if you want use Ter2Pol to make the .pol files have gritty detail textures... srry to be off subject

Edited by Willzah

As I reported in the Gizmo update thread, I suppose the fps drop is related to the size of the textures of the coulds. because if there are much clouds on screen, the VRAM memory usage is really big, and so the fps drops dramatically. May be a texture tuning could be a fast solution, or another method to render the overcast layer that do not implies the moltiplicating of the clouds puffs...