X-Plane 10 and the cities ... What could be done !

Hueyman

People's talk  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would this bring a great new value to the sim ?

• Yes, we really need something other than IFR or VATSIM to entertain us
    • No, I prefer flying with same old AI planes or mates online, inducing only IFR pilots have fun

Hello comrades

Have you ever been amazed while watching a big city in X-Plane 10, how great it looks with all the traffic, traffics lights, houses, buildings, backyards, gaz stations, CBD, train stations etc etc ?

1pvd.jpg

This is what we have with the default, stock simulator, and I personally think it is really really well done. But, I have a big problem while seeing this... I HAVE NOTHING TO DO !!!!!!! ( except flying over, over and over and over again, without doing anything useful )

Cosmopolitan big cities such NYC, LA, Paris here in France, Dubaï etc are cities full of life and dynamism and ... people. 

Don't you see where I want to come ? Well, rich businessmen, tourists, radio stations, police services are intensively using helicopters all around such cities for various missions.

We have the helicopters ( R-22, AS 350 and Bell 206 by Dreamfoils, BK-117 Nils, new Sea King, S-92 by DMO, MD900, S-76 ... and we have the stock cities, which are more than great.

What we miss are MISSIONS

Absolutely.

ikjc.jpg

Now, I don't understand why there isn't really some good scenarios for X-Plane, while everyone tells " everything's doable with plugins powaa !! "

So Ben, could Gizmo help in that purpose ?

Missions could be so versatile :

- Take a couple of tourists up in the brand new AS-350 your company just bought, then manage to show them the city highlights on sunset

- Transfer a highly priority patient from a big city Trauma center to another, or better, bring some vital organs from somewhere to a big city, in the BK-117/S-76

- A rookie photographer need some great shots of LA downtowns to show his agency what kind of building plans could be done in the years to come, to improve global city traffic fluidity ...

- A team of renown scientists have a meeting to hold tonight, 8PM. It's 7:15 and they are still waiting their taxi to come... You MUST bring them to the top of that building with your company's S-92 for a delivery before 7:55PM

- In your FLIR equipped AS-350/MD900, lock and chase a car to it's destination, federal forces suspect it to transport highly hazardous compounds

- Senator of X state got his Learjet at La Guardia airport to depart at 06:00 in the morning. You are still at home, in near Time Square, and must hurry to Downtown Manhattan Heliport ( with your car, X-Plane has cars ) then bring your Jet Ranger to northern New Jersey to bring him back to La Guardia before 5:45 AM

And so on, scenarios are endless.

5dk9.jpg

So yes, this is a request I make to you developers. I noticed, having the greatest plane in X-Plane and flying over the best scenery still leaves me a taste of emptiness and boringness. With missions like that, and the appropriate career follow up ( earning more money if you do your job flawlessly, in time with smooth flying etc ) it could really open a new dimension in this so empty world ...

w1gx.jpg

Imagine doing this kind of missions ( nostalgia here ahah if you knew SimCopter )

4ep6.jpg

And listening this while starting up your Bell 206's Allison

I really hope I'm not the only one to expect that, what do you think ?

• Upvote 1

So for you, entertain yourself while operating complex addons is a game, you prefer flying pointlessly to feel more professional ?

A game is something casual you make just for fun, something " easy " that relax you by doing funny things without thinking too much ...

Here it would still be X-Plane complexity, but with interesting missions so it would give a sense to our flying. I love flying helicopter , following procedures, checklists, and built great hover skills for example. But I realize it is useless as there is absolutely nothing to do with these except play with VOR sometimes ...

So, a game ? not, a purpose in your flying ? yes !

• Upvote 2

Although beauty and aesthetics are the focus of scenery developers, one common focus of almost all members and developers of this community is the concept of keeping in mind the primary use of X-Plane: flight. Not 3D modelling of environment. 

I will have to agree, the beauty of the world as seen while flying is nowhere near achieved in the X-Plane world. Perhaps it will be one day, but most effort these days goes into flight model performance. X-Plane is special for this. As a scenery developer, I can promise you that it is no easy task to achieve what you'd like, and certainly on a large scale, at this time, it is impossible.

I have no interest in flight modelling personally, I wish to improve the flights of those who are. 

On missions, there are plugins for that. In real life, there are no missions. You do as you are told without constant updating and controlling. In real life, if you wanted to go AWOL with that little Cessna you rented, you could. In X-Plane, you can. Use your creativity to have missions. When I feel like playing a game, that's what I do. 

X-Plane is diverse. All of what you said is possible - some of it may not yet be available or developed in any way. It takes time. With a user-reliant community, that's how things work.

Cheers.

@Rojan Trojan

Yes I know this game, but ... it is a game, and has physics of a game ... What is interesting in X-Plane is that you have realistic systems, chopper, radio freqs etc etc

But Colin, I think you misunderstood my point, I said cities in XP10 as they are now are great enough ! yes generic but it really looks like real American cities and suburbs, we only need missions.

And I know what you mean, myself has been creative from the past to " imagine " or " do like if " I had passenger in the back, speaking to them... but it's really boring and feels like you're all alone.

Anyway, I thought you'd be enthusiastic, it seems it's better to fly professionally alone doing things on our own then play Arma to have fun only ...

Thanks though

I see where your going with this and FSX already does something similar with training missions so I would think it could be possible to adapt those sort of missions to become a little more complicated and to be more realistic. Although how you would go about this I don't know.

You know Mission-X? Still very alive, last updated on Nov 16th.

http://snagardev.weebly.com/plugins.html

Download, read the docs (http://snagardev.weebly.com/documentation.html) and start creating missions :)

Some sample missions: http://snagardev.weebly.com/missions.html

More at the .org.

Edited by Mario Donick
  • Upvote 1

So for you, entertain yourself while operating complex addons is a game, you prefer flying pointlessly to feel more professional ?

So, a game ? not, a purpose in your flying ? yes !

You have your reasons for using X-Plane.  I have mine.

When I am in a "professional" mood, I'll fly for real.

My logbook has over 4,000 hours of purpose.

Oh  yes that place I cannot go to or want to for that matter.

I'm orged err... banned from here.

These are cool people for sure

Did you read my post?

I posted 3 links that do NOT point at the .org, but the only thing you two recognize in my post is ".org"??? Seriously?  <_<

Again: If you want to have missions, go to where missions are, or even better: Create them.

• Upvote 1