How do you import a Google earth pic to WED to make accurate scenery?

Toby Rice

How do you import a google earth photo into WED and it will be on the right cords?

I normally do it the hard way by going into OE first but my new PC won't work with OE well ( :huh: ) and I want to use WED only.

I've searched and all the answers don't make sense.

Any Help?

Bump Bump Chris K..... :) 

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I've never used google maps as an imagery source. (I've only used data sets that already include the georeference information embedded in them - ie GeoTIFF or JPEG2000) in many of our WED projects.

A user named "Snow" made a post a while ago on the org, which showed (a somewhat convoluted) method for obtaining the LAT/LONG coordinates for Google imagery - however it was a laborious manual process to do each tile.

You may want to instead use something like the Gmaps or G2XPL utility to download images for you on an area, then import the resultant DSF back into WED. Not ideal, but may point you in the right direction.

Here are the sources I use/am aware of:

United States/~40km of Canada North of the border, including OahuPuerto Rico, and American Samoa and all 48 of the Contiguous United States: (GeoTIFF Format): USGS EarthExplorer

United StatesAmerican Samoa, Maui, Kauai, and Maui Volcanic Chain, as well as certain USA Protectorates (GeoTIFF in some areas, JP2 in others - JP2 requires conversions): TheNationalMap

Many cities and areas provide TIFFs of their areas.

Please note that G2XPL is illegal if you are making use of Google, Bing, or Yahoo! imagery, along with copying any Google data (including image data) into WED. (edit:) This includes using Google, Bing or Yahoo! imagery as a reference material. No derivative works as per the terms of use.

Cheers! I hope my sources helped you out. If you need help using them, I am familiar with the tools.

Edited by Colin S
  • Upvote 3

I find that Earth Viewer is troublesome, so I use TNM.

In TheNationalMap:

Zoom into the area you want to download. 

Click the "Download" Button (1).  (They moved were this button was, so I had to look for it.)

Select your area to download (2).

Select "Orthoimagery"

Select your images.  (Hint: Some images might only cover a part of your airport, so click on the imagery and a purple shaded area will appear were the imagery extends to.)

You can select many areas this way, and when you're done, click the "Checkout" button on the left side under your list of images you want to download.  It will only ask for your email, and the images will be sent to you when they are ready.

Happy downloading!

post-5285-0-32810200-1384535596_thumb.pn

post-5285-0-30798100-1384535687_thumb.pn

• Upvote 1

I find that Earth Viewer is troublesome, so I use TNM.

In TheNationalMap:

Zoom into the area you want to download. 

Click the "Download" Button (1).  (They moved were this button was, so I had to look for it.)

Select your area to download (2).

Select "Orthoimagery"

Select your images.  (Hint: Some images might only cover a part of your airport, so click on the imagery and a purple shaded area will appear were the imagery extends to.)

You can select many areas this way, and when you're done, click the "Checkout" button on the left side under your list of images you want to download.  It will only ask for your email, and the images will be sent to you when they are ready.

Happy downloading!

Thanks! I got the pictures I wanted, now how do I make them GEOTIFF? Or does the JP2 automaticly snap to place too?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all your help CK!

I understand and can do (and have done) everything EXCEPT:

I still can't understand how to make JP2000 to geoTIFF! I have searched and searched and still I can't figure it out. I don't understand a thing about command line or anything....

Could you post a reply that walks me through everything about making JP2 geoTiff? Simple is better. I did not understand one thing about the links you gave me.

If this helps:

X-Plane 9.70

Windows 8 64bit

Latest WED.

Sigh.... Once again..... GeoJasper:

http://www.dimin.net/software/geojasper/

They have a full Windows tools and full GUI to let you point-and-click through the conversions. From their website: "It converts images between GeoJp2™ (GeoJpeg2000) and GeoTiff correctly preserving all geo information"

Have you actually tried using this tool yet?

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Sigh.... Once again..... GeoJasper:

http://www.dimin.net/software/geojasper/

They have a full Windows tools and full GUI to let you point-and-click through the conversions. From their website: "It converts images between GeoJp2™ (GeoJpeg2000) and GeoTiff correctly preserving all geo information"

Have you actually tried using this tool yet?

- CK.

Sorry I've been so dumb.

Trying it later today.