Another topic on a new computer...

DurhamTeesValley

Hi,

I am thinking about purchasing this computer for the primary use of using X-Plane. However, I am using a Mac at the moment, and have never had a PC before. Therefore, I would be interested in hearing what you think about this, and how well you think it will run X-Plane 10.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 6-core 3.7ghz

8GB RAM

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD6670 2 GB

1TB hard drive

More information here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/FX-6300-Gaming-OVERCLOCKED-pre-installed-Comprehensive/dp/B00B26EDBI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_1

Also, this is the monitor I would be interested in: http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GL2450HM-Widescreen-Multimedia-Monitor/dp/B005OPLG0O/ref=pd_bxgy_computers_text_y

Thank you for your input, and like I said, I do not know very much about pc's, so if there is anything I should improve on, or if there is better system I could get for the price (around £650 for all), I would be interested in seeing it!

Best regards,

Ben

Hi,

I am thinking about purchasing this computer for the primary use of using X-Plane. However, I am using a Mac at the moment, and have never had a PC before. Therefore, I would be interested in hearing what you think about this, and how well you think it will run X-Plane 10.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 6-core 3.7ghz

8GB RAM

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD6670 2 GB

1TB hard drive

More information here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/FX-6300-Gaming-OVERCLOCKED-pre-installed-Comprehensive/dp/B00B26EDBI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_1

Also, this is the monitor I would be interested in: http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GL2450HM-Widescreen-Multimedia-Monitor/dp/B005OPLG0O/ref=pd_bxgy_computers_text_y

Thank you for your input, and like I said, I do not know very much about pc's, so if there is anything I should improve on, or if there is better system I could get for the price (around £650 for all), I would be interested in seeing it!

Best regards,

Ben

Take a look at the relative performance of your selections for CPU and GPU compared to other hardware at similar price points.

• Upvote 1

The thing with that PC is I dont see a lot of things mentioned that should be, it seems there is no included OS or aftermarket CPU cooler. Also the hardware included seems quite low-spec for what they are charging for it.

I also don't know anything about that builder, so I would check around and make sure you do business with a reputable one, which may depend on what country you live in.

Also, learning to build your own PC can be very rewarding since you get to choose exactly what parts you want to use, and you can focus your budget on certain areas of the system to optimize it for the tasks you do most. 

-NR

• Upvote 1

Ok, so that seems like a no then! I would build my own, however, I do not have that much time as I have college and other activities. However, I would be willing to buy all of the hardware separately, and get someone to build it for me.

Someone on the org told me to look on ebay for used or refurbished computers, so I may try that.

Ben

I have been told on the other website that this system will be good enough to do the job, and my only concern about it is the seller however, they have a 99.7% rating on ebay: 

http://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk/custom-built-computers/intel-core-i5-4440-1tb-8gb-1866mhz-gtx-660-2gb-galaxy-windows-7-gaming-pc.html

Alternatively, someone has told me over there that this computer will be a lot better for running X-Plane, however, it is very close to the top of my budget. Also, there is no OS or monitor, so I will present to you the same 3 options that I have done on the .org to you now:

1) Go for the GTX660 model, and upgrade to the GTX760 or latest model when I have more money.

2) Buy that computer with the GTX760, a cheap monitor and use Ubuntu

3) Save up some more money until I can afford the above system, and continue to use my intel dual core mac with a 256mb Gpu!

Here is the other option: http://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk/custom-built-computers/intel-core-i5-4670k-1tb-8gb-1866mhz-gtx-760-2gb-galaxy-computer-gaming-pc.html

Thanks,

Ben

I do not have that much time as I have college and other activities.

I have no experience building PCs but I just put together one for myself.  Once all the parts were picked out it took no longer than a day, including installing my OS. I was very nervous as it was of course expensive and I didn't want to botch anything, but there are tons of videos on youtube demonstrating what you need to do, and areas you need to take care (don't forget the motherboard mounts, the back of it shouldn't be touching the metal case, etc.).

It was very rewarding and saved me a LOT of money that I put into better parts.  I ended up spending about $1680 US, and the only equivalent system I could find pre-built was close to $3000, but had some inferior parts.

• Upvote 1

I have no experience building PCs but I just put together one for myself.  Once all the parts were picked out it took no longer than a day, including installing my OS. I was very nervous as it was of course expensive and I didn't want to botch anything, but there are tons of videos on youtube demonstrating what you need to do, and areas you need to take care (don't forget the motherboard mounts, the back of it shouldn't be touching the metal case, etc.).

It was very rewarding and saved me a LOT of money that I put into better parts.  I ended up spending about $1680 US, and the only equivalent system I could find pre-built was close to $3000, but had some inferior parts.

That's just the thing I love about building my own systems. :D

-NR