What did you fly today?

Maxime

My first genuine Alaskan bush adventure ... dropping off a bunch of masochists on a desolate arctic windswept island :D.

Actually it required two pilots in two planes ... but I just wanted to practice to see if I was cut out to do this kind of flying! Absolutely loving it by the way ... best kind of flying I've done, and that's fair dinkum!

The pick up ....

eobp.jpg

En route ....

6y1m.jpg

ek1t.jpg

The drop off ...
4knr.jpg

8fxi.jpg

Edited by Kris Pryo
  • Upvote 6

How do you like that plane?

Although I was not asked, I answer anyway, as I could test it:

It's nice and fun (really!), and the virtual cockpit is beautiful, if you like Stephane's (the author's) style (it's similar to his Eclipse 550 freeware). I also like that icing and deicing is present, the sounds, and the FADEC test buttons.

But do not expect a real G1000. Currently it consists only of X-Plane default EFIS elements, i.e. it does not really look like a G1000 graphically, and it does not work like a G1000, i.e. functions are different and at different places.

By the way, I have contacted Stephane and am currently modding the plane to get the LOOK more similar to what a G1000 looks (and I also corrected the strangely colored backup horizon). The last 2 nights I was re-creating many icons, graphic files and fonts, with screenshots of real G1000 units and other G1000 simulations as inspiration. (I also paid attention to make it different from the Corvalis payware, because the danger of being accused of plagiarism is big if you want to get the look right. So I made each graphic and icon on my own again, and some icons look (in my opinion) better than those in the Corvalis, but some look nearly identical (e.g. the TCAS icon, which, well, is just a tiny triangle. Mine has a black border, though).

However, without custom avionics, it sill underlies X-Plane limitations, and the low screen resolution of the virtual G1000 forces many compromises which in the end evoke the feeling "no, that does not look like the real thing" For example, the PFD. To keep everything readable, you need to have a minimum font size, but to include the most important elements, it has to be small enough. Both forces certain distances between the elements, e.g. horizon to speed tape, altitude tape and inset map. In the end, it looks squeezed somehow, which affects the overall readability of the PFD.

This could only be solved by starting all over, i.e. trash the current DA-42 G1000 and make a new one with bigger virtual screen resolution, for getting more room.

Currently I do this mod only for me, but Stephane showed interest and maybe he allows me to release this as freeware mod or even includes this an update.

Anyway, actually all this stuff is not such a big problem if you don't want to use this for studying a G1000. Just have fun with the plane, it's beautiful, powerful and fast. :)

Edited by Mario Donick
  • Upvote 1

First, let me say thank you very much for a great description of the plane. It sounds like something I would be interested in IF he would allow the updates you mentioned.  I am very interested in the G1000 so the updates you mentioned would make the plane of interest to me.

Beware that this mod would just be visually, and even then it would NOT look like a real G1000 -- just a little bit more similar, because of more correct colors, icons and interface graphics. Function-wise, it is X-Plane standard, you won't be able to learn the G1000 with this plane.

Have you seen this C172 G1000 on the org site (http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=20015)?   It sounds like it would be similar to this then which I have really enjoyed.

The G1000 in the DA-42 is way better than this freeware. If I would do a top 10 rating of the G1000s I know, it would be:

1. FSX: the G1000 simulations in Flight1 payware planes (e.g. in the C182)

2. --

3a. X-Plane: the G1000 simulation in JGX' payware Corvalis

3b. FSX: the G1000 simulation in Carenado payware planes (e.g. in the SR22)

4. FSX: the G1000 simulation in FSX default planes (also used in many FSX payware planes)

5. --

6. X-Plane: my modded G1000 dummy in the new payware DA-42

7. X-Plane: the G1000 dummy in the new payware DA-42

8. X-Plane: the G1000 dummy in X-Plane's default C400

9. X-Plane: the G1000 dummy in Jason Chandler's payware Cessna Citation

10. X-Plane: the freeware G1000 dummy

3a and 3b are both at 2 because both have their own pros and cons.

FlyThisSim's G1000 simulation are out of the scope of this list, as these are not pure consumer products, thus very expensive and not integrated in the planes themselves. But in terms of accuracy, they are near perfect. If they would have navigation data for outside the U.S., I would use these since years.

+1 Mario. Great plane, a real pleasure to fly, but not a very "advanced" G1000. You can find the manual here:

http://www.stephanebuon.fr/DA42/diamond-DA42-xplane.php

I made a new flight today from Düren (EDRJ) to Metz-Nancy-Lorraine (LFJL), but not with a direct route.

A few minutes after the take-off, clouds and their shadows behind me:

DA42-04-8.jpg

Above Kanfen near the motorway A31:

DA42-05-8.jpg

The ULM runway in Zoufftgen. The website for this club: http://ulmclub.online.fr/accueil.htm

DA42-06-8.jpg

Above Thionville and Terville:

DA42-07-8.jpg

A last shot with Gandrange and Amnéville:

DA42-08-8.jpg

Edited by MdMax
  • Upvote 4