I need advice from the 3d experts here

pryoski

I've two projects in mind that I think I might be able to tackle ... and I feel motivated to do it.

Project One;

I'd like to create a 3D cockpit for the STMA Pilatus PC-12 .. and improve the texture of the body or maybe even re-create the body ... maybe as a visual sleeve over the existing functioning Plane Maker model (lol, I'm making this up as I go along as I have zero experience with this! ;)).

The PC-12 already comes with a 3D pit, but it's the 'flat' variety ... I'd like to transform it into the 'real' 3D type (with protrusions) and all existing switches 'manipulatable'.

From a technical perspective, is this possible?

I love the Pilatus PC-12 to bits as a very effective money earner in FSEconomy that comes with enough of the systems fidelity for me to enjoy flying it ... it's very absorbing to fly and handles very well.

If this is possible (from a technical perspective) I'll take the next step and ask Papamac if he'd mind me doing this (for my own use!).

Project Two;

I've already raised this one, it's about the default KingAir C90B .. I'd like to make the rest of the switches functional and maybe program the fuel management.

I guess the main stumbling block for this one will be the programming; so this one feels a lot scarier.

BTW, the C90B is the 2nd best money earner in FSE, and the best 'starter' plane for FSE (I think) :).

Which one of these two is more doable (or doable at all !!).

Cheers!

Kris

Edited by Kris Pryo

It's possible without a doubt. From a personal perspective I don't usually like working with other peoples models but it's really up to you. 

If you're talking about making all the 3D instruments and everything that's not a huge task in and of itself but it'll certainly take a fair bit of work. There's a lot of animations you've got to get down but once you've learned all of that it'll help for future projects because you can build up a sort of instrument library and re-use animations and things. The modeling isn't that hard for the instruments, the animations are a lot harder.

• Upvote 1

I'd endorse that, too.  Absolutely possible, and you would learn an enormous amount in the process.  Developing for X-Plane has always been very much about "learning by doing": there would be times when you're banging your head against a wall, and a lot of pleasure when the penny drops and it all works.

Do you have 3D skills?  If not, that will be a steep learning curve. It takes a while to get your head around navigating a 3D model and creating shapes by extrusion and manipulation.  This has nothing to do with X-Plane.  Like any skill, perhaps learning a language or a musical instrument, it takes time, effort and patience.  It's definitely possible, though.  The ACF format is modular, and you can drop a replacement cockpit straight in.

As for Project Two, there could be an intermediate stage purely with animation.  I am not familiar with either aircraft, but it's amazing what you can achieve purely with existing datarefs and animation.  For example hiding the hot-spot for a key-click so that a switch can not work until another switch or lever is operated first — that sort of thing.  Of course, if you want to extend the functionality of X-Plane itself, then you need to write a plug-in program.

Guy.

• Upvote 1

When you get to the animation stage of things I highly recommend you give ac3d a try. In my opinion it's far superior to blender for that and if that's all you end up using it for it'll still be a good investment. That's just my opinion but I know there's plenty of others out there who agree with me.

• Upvote 3