Need advice on low memory warnings :-(

alexcolka

Hi,

I just purchased my copy of this great add-on, but I get constant Windows low memory warnings advising me to close X-Plane, in the worst scenario all my textures go grey, I have 8 gb of ram and a video card of 2 gb vram, I'm using the low res Saab version but with extreme resolution textures in rendering settings, no hdr, no shadows, I'm using Win 7 64 bits. Do I need perhaps some task killer here? Thanks in advance. Sorry if this is covered someplace else.

Alex

How long does it take these errors to occur? Are they immediate or only after a couple of hours?

Gizmo has a known memory leak that the Saab has uncovered but no one has reported an error like yours.

For now the first thing to try is fairly obvious; turn down your texture resolution.

You should probably adjust your world detail settings too but without more info on what you're already using this is just a guess.

Details about what kind of scenery you're using and the airport you're flying around is also critical to helping resolve issues like this as those items have a huge impact on the sims workload.

Thanks.

br.

(Log files and screenshots next time...)

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your quick reply, I'm at work now and I'll be providing more details and screenshots later but I can report the following:

The low memory warnings are random, last night I had two consecutive warnings at mid flight cruising at FL 180 over Ecuador, in stock scenery from SECU to SEGU, I ignored the first warning, with the second warning all my textures went grey.

Today very early in the morning I started the sim and used the quick start option and gave me the warning again so I decided to quit the flight.

About my settings later will provide the screenshots and logs (what logs exactly do you need?) but they are not too high or too stressing for my system.

Thanks again,

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4

Hi Ben,

I had this happen to me one time too and thought I had too much running, didn't suspect anything wrong with XP/Saab/Gizmo - so didn't report it.

Interesting, if I see it again I will grab the logs and screens as you have asked above.

For the record, I have a very similar set-up Win764 8GB RAM + 1.5GB GPU with low install of Saab done.

Sorry if I cannot offer more at this stage, but thought it might help to say "me too" if only to communicate it as not an isolated incident.

Cheers

James

I reported this also in a different post, but Again I was unable to reproduce it. Mine occurred towards the end of a flight from KLFT to KNEW. I may have a video of it happening also (nope I deleted it). I would say an hour long flight. However I did not get a low mem warning. I just noticed textures missing and extreme FPS lag spikes. I then Pulled up task manager to see 15 of 16 gigs were being used.

Again, I have not had that happen since and I fly this plane every night.

The past two posts seem to have jogged my memory a little. From what I remember I had paused XP.....overnight!

One of those: I need to go and do something and never got back to my flight that night type of affairs!

When I came back to my machine the following day sure enough Windows was complaining about being critically low on virtual memory. Only closing XP resolved it. (I think I also rebooted too.)

The flight had been approx 10 minutes after a startup, taxi and takeoff from EGJJ. I had paused after recording a video on FRAPS to demonstrate an audio issue for Jim Gregory.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

James

Nothing. The Page file is already being used, and i think the memory manager will be smart enough to only page out the less useful resources. 

Might be worth trying. If it means you can complete a flight while you wait for the update it'll be worth it.

• 4 months later...

Hi, guys!

I got the Saab 340A v1.1 update. When I run the Saab 340A v1.1 for a couple of days now, I still get the 1st error message saying shut down x-plane to save progress, the 2nd error message saying the same thing, the 3rd error message saying my computer is running low on memory and the 4th error message saying my computer ran out of memory and x-plane needs to shutdown. Any ideas? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Hi team,

Thanks for the 1.1 update!

With respect to the Saab/Gizmo memory leak....is there a specific version of Gizmo with the Saab 1.1 that one needs to plug the leak?  After 1.1 installation, I'm still seeing memory continue to be drawn--until it runs out--while using the Saab.   I've noticed this while flying a trip, and while just letting the Saab sit on the ground with the GPU running for an hour.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

Ben,

So right you are, sorry for the lack of documentation.

I've attached my most recent log.

For comparison, I loaded the C-172 at KBL, shut-off engine and had the aircraft sit for an hour.  Total incremental memory needed from start to finish was: 1.50 to 1.58 Mb of Ram

I repeated the above for: 

the Boeing FF 757, incremental memory needed for an hour of sitting with GPU on was 1.69 to 1.78 Mb

the Saab 340 1.1, incremental memory for an hour of sitting with GPU on was 1.7 to 2.3 (at 2 hrs it was 3.0Mb)

I flew at the 2hr mark and had very choppy frame-rates, and tried to fly anyway--and didn't do a very good job of it, leading to my second flying-crash of the Saab.  Thanks for virtual re-boots!  :)

I have an i7 system with 8Mb RAM, with a 2Gb Nvidia card-GTX 660

LOG--attached

wcs_Log.txt

Thanks for that.

It looks like you have the current version of Gizmo installed already..

For future reference; there is additional information inside GizmoLog.txt that is also useful for diagnostics to be 100% sure.

In the meantime I'll talk to Cameron and see if he tweaked the Gizmo 14.1 files at all.

(The Activation GUI is specific to X-A and occasionally receives updates "out of step" from the Gizmo main package..)

The majority of customers are reporting that the latest updated resolved their memory leak though so it seems unlikely that any mistakes have been made during packaging.

I have also been adding some resource counters to the Gizmo code so that we can see exactly how much resources are being consumed by Gizmo and the scripts its running.

This will include VRAM consumption and some other basic stats about RAM usage for things like .WAV files that are being used as custom sounds etc etc.

Sorry you're having issues... thanks for your patience.