[In Progress] Engine fails to start

wim1976

Thanks for the great plane!

This evening I could start only one of the engines. The engine which didn't start hangs on 32 degrees (temperature). I have tried to restart Gizmo and restart X-Plane with no succes. Also the auto-start gives problems. It is not always the same engine. Before restarting X-Plane I could start engine 1 and engine 2 stays dead. After the restart of X-Plane engine 1 couldn't start but engine 2 had no problems. See the attachment for a picture and the log files.

GizmoLog.txt

Log.txt

post-8400-0-15697200-1380226051_thumb.jp

hm.. I can't think of anything *you* could be doing wrong that would cause it to hang at 82C ... usually pilot error will cause it to not start at all, or to catch on fire.  I think you're probably looking in the right place, with the gizmo plugin and the other log files that you've pasted here.  I'm not a developer, though, so I can't answer you as to what *is* going on, but I'm *fairly* certain this isn't a case of pilot error.

I think this has been mentioned in another thread - I have had this myself. I *believe* it happens when the Condition Levers have been assigned before doing the auto-start.

If you re-load the Saab and go straight for the engine auto-start, does the same thing happen?

Cheers

James

This evening I could start only one of the engines. The engine which didn't start hangs on 32 degrees (temperature). I have tried to restart Gizmo and restart X-Plane with no succes. Also the auto-start gives problems. It is not always the same engine. Before restarting X-Plane I could start engine 1 and engine 2 stays dead. After the restart of X-Plane engine 1 couldn't start but engine 2 had no problems. See the attachment for a picture and the log files.

Are you using joysticks of any kind?

Are you using joysticks of any kind?

Thanks for your suggestion. I have troubleshoot further on this one. Normally I have only a yoke (Saitek) connected, with rudder pedals and quadrant. But because my son wants to fly a glider I had connceted a joystick (Trustmaster) and assigned the roll and pitch to it. After flying the glider I disconnected the joystick and shut down the computer. But I had not deleted the assignments of the joystick. After a restart of the computer to fly the Saab I encounterd the problem.

After your suggestion I connected the joystick again and deleted the assigments. Then an autostart gives the same problem as before. So I quit X-Plane and did a clean restart. After selecting the autostart the plane starts as normally.

I think this could be the problem, but maybe there is (also) another problem, because I have to reset my yoke (plugging out and in the usb-cable) because it is not centered and it vibrates a bit. After resetting the yoke centers well again. This is a structural and frustrating problem. I don't think this was the problem for starting the SAAB because the fault in the yoke is structural and earlier starts of the SAAB gave no problem. But for the completeness I mentioned it also, so we don't have to overlook a problem/solution.

Edited by wim1976

An addition: I have tested some further with a yoke while it was vibrating and centered not correctly, but no problem occured. To me it seems 99,99% that the problem was connecting a joystick and not cleaning the assignments after use of it. Now it is up to LES to decide to accept this problem or to resolve it.

EDIT:

Same problem today, but after plugging out of the yoke before restarting X-Plane did the trick. It seems that the SAAB do not like moving yokes while starting an engine.

Edited by wim1976

• 1 year later...

I'm having a similar problem with engine starts, on 2 occasions.  I have a Logitech throttle, and a GF-TQ6 throttle unit.

Having started up X-plane and the Saab, I assigned the Condition levers to 2 axes of the TQ6. I find that I have to do this each time I select the Saab in X plane, it doesn't keep the assignment.

I carefully ran through all the prestart checks. When I select left engine start, (doing manual start) there is the sound of electrical equipment 'dying', which I think is normal, then a whine, which I think is also normal. The left engine ignition light comes on. The temp rises to 32C (same as wim1976) ...and then nothing else happens. The whine of compressed air (I think) remains, but after many minutes nothing else happened. Tem still at 32C. I tried a rt engine start, but same problem.

I tried Autostart - but it 'got stuck' during the initial start up phase too.

any thoughts?

cheers

unfortunately you do have to assign joystick levers to condition levers every time you load the saab, condition levers are plugin based as such assignments are missed every time you load the saab.

edit: i presume the developers simulate the condition levers plugin based since xplane has no condition lever assignment. But not sure about this

Edited by mmerelles

Still having problems with starting the engines, as described in my earlier post. I managed to get them started yesterday without any problem, though I had other problems on the runway.

But today we were back to the old problem - the engine start just wouldn't work.

The weird thing was, although the engines were definitely not started and all the parameters were zero, (engine temp stayed at 32 degrees) when I went to outside view, both props were spinning - at high speed, i.e. not the gentle rotation you get on the ground from the wind!

Any thoughts anyone?

Fast spinning props are normal (at least with the Saab in X-Plane) if there is some wind. The rudder goes nuts too.

The effect, though it exist in reality, seems VERY exaggerated to me. But it has nothing to do with your startup problem (except that autostart does not work under certains conditions, and this would be displayed)

But to be sure you should set zero winds until the problem is sorted out.

Flo

Edited by FloB

Any thoughts anyone?
Please post your Log.txt and GizmoLog.txt files here (after you have a failed start).  

Also…you could try this... unplug ALL your hardware… remove ALL other plugins (except Gizmo)... and then see if the Saab will start.  If you don't want to mess with your existing X-Plane installation another option would be to download the X-Plane demo, install the Saab, and (with no hardware attached) see if the Saab will start that way.

• 3 weeks later...

I also had difficulty to get engines to Auto-Start.

After numerous attempts, this seems to have solved my problem.

After assigning the Condition Levels I opened the Gizmo SAAB TQ STATUS Viewer and made certain the Throttles were in the GROUND IDLE position and the Condition Levers were in the START position as indicated at top of window.

I then ran the SAAB Engine Auto-Start and the engines started.

Fast spinning props are normal (at least with the Saab in X-Plane) if there is some wind. The rudder goes nuts too.

The effect, though it exist in reality, seems VERY exaggerated to me. But it has nothing to do with your startup problem (except that autostart does not work under certains conditions, and this would be displayed)

But to be sure you should set zero winds until the problem is sorted out.

The prop speed and control surface issue has been resolved and will be in the next update.  The gust lock must be set for the control surfaces to behave accordingly.

Edited by JGregory
  • Upvote 1

Re: Saab340 - I too am having problems starting the engines either manually or in auto.  The engines begin the start procedure then after a few seconds the start fails. I had one good start yesterday but today no-go again!

Something else I've noticed is that the GPU sound has disappeared even though it seems to be providing power?  All volumes are at max on the slider UI.

Well back to the hanger for the Saab I'm afraid.

Win7x64, XP10.31, TQ6 quadrant

Cheers,

Bruce

Sorry Goran, I didn't see your post in time about sending log txt, however, I can confirm that using the TQ6 quadrant, I had positioned the throttle handles fractionally above ground idle.   

When I pulled them back very slightly the GPU sound returned in outside view, and the engines started manually exactly as they should.

Please keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Bruce  Win7x64, XP10.31, TQ6, Trk i/r, SkyMaxxPro, EFASS, Xacars, VATSIM 

Bruce,

I appreciate your feedback on this.  From what I can see this is happening with users who have hardware assigned to the power levers.  Previously, the "Auto-Start" procedure did NOT force the Power Levers into the Ground Idle position, so, if your hardware was not set to the right position the Auto-Start routine would not run (as you found out).  I have changed this in the code so that the power levers are "forced" to the Ground Idle position when using "Auto-Start.  This should resolve the problem.  Look for this change in the next update.