Change to POH and Tutorial for entering a waypoint in the FMS

JGregory

This is the proper procedure to enter a waypoint in the FMS:

CREATING AN ACTIVE FLIGHT PLAN:

1. Press the FPL Key on the MFD.

2. If you are in 2D Mode – Press the Ready Pad button in the upper right corner of the Active Flight Plan Page to "pop-up" the ReadyPad.

3. Press the INIT Key on the ReadyPad.

4. Press the DIRECT TO (D>) Key on the ReadyPad.

5. The currently selected waypoint will be highlighted in the Active Flight Plan Page. (NOTE:  Use the SEL Key to change the selected waypoint if necessary.)

6. Turn the small FMS Knob to the right to display the Waypoint Information Window:

7. Press one of the five "Type"" keys on the ReadyPad to indicate the type of waypoint you want to enter; APT, VOR, L/L, FIX, or NDB:

8. Using the ReadyPad alphanumeric keypad, enter the identifier of the waypoint – when you have completed the entry, the name of the waypoint, its type, and its location information will display. 

9. Once you have entered the correct waypoint, press and "hold" the ENT Key on the ReadyPad until the waypoint is accepted.

10. The Waypoint Information Window will close and the waypoint ID will appear in the appropriate field of the Active Flight Plan Page.

11. To enter the next waypoint press the (right arrow) of the SEL Key on the ReadyPad to advance the FMS to the next waypoint and then repeat steps 6 through 10.

• 5 months later...

Thanks Cameron.  I don't have the right keyboard arrow key mapped to anything, so nothing happens when I press it.  However, I did shift the view over manually in 2D (see the attached screenshot).  I still don't see what I should be clicking on.  The instructions in the Cessna tutorial say to press "FPL" to bring up the active flight plan window, which I did - and that brought up a black box labeled "flight plan".  So I assume that box must be the flight plan window.  The tutorial goes on to instruct me to press the READY PAD Button in the upper right corner of the Active Flight Plan Window.  But as you can see from the screenshots, there is nothing in the upper righthand corner of the black box for me to click on.  Please advise.

post-2193-131369590432_thumb.jpg

Again, the left screen is NOT where the tutorial is trying to tell you to do anything. The right screen is considered the MFD. X-Plane is mapped to already make the right arrow key pan right. If it doesn't, I'm really not sure what to say on this one. It's a default setting.

On the right (MFD) screen is where you'll find the FPL key in question, and from there you can follow the remaining steps.

Ok I think we're finally getting somewhere!  There is an "FPL" key on the lefthand side, but there is ALSO a second FPL key on the righthand side.  That's the one I need.  I'm not a pilot as you can see  ;D OK so i clicked it and it did bring up a ready pad button.  But wouldn't you know that would be too easy, clicking the ready pad button doesn't seem to actually do anything.  No new window pops up, nothing.  Very frustrating.  Do you think maybe there'll be an updated corvalis released in the near future that might be more user friendly?

Ok I think we're finally getting somewhere!  There is an "FPL" key on the lefthand side, but there is ALSO a second FPL key on the righthand side.  That's the one I need.  I'm not a pilot as you can see  ;D OK so i clicked it and it did bring up a ready pad button.  But wouldn't you know that would be too easy, clicking the ready pad button doesn't seem to actually do anything.  No new window pops up, nothing.  Very frustrating.  Do you think maybe there'll be an updated corvalis released in the near future that might be more user friendly?

If you are in 2D cockpit mode the ReadyPad should "pop-up" to the right of the flight plan window (make sure you have panned all the way to the right with the right arrow key).  If you are in 3D cockpit mode the ReadyPad is found in the center console between the front seats and therefore it DOES NOT pop-up on the 3D panel.

Jim

Thanks Jim.  I wasn't able to figure out how to get it to "pop up", but I can see now that the ready pad in the center console is active in 3D view, which means I can still use it, which I don't mind doing at all - it works, that's all I care about!

rddaos

Check out page 137 of the POH in the documents folder.  There is a pic of the ReadyPad "pop-up" in 2D cockpit mode.  There should be no reason that this does not work.  Let me know how it goes.

Jim

Jim,

It's inexplicable.  I set my view to "fowards", which is definitely a 2D view.  Then I pan right with the arrow key, which shifts the view over and there appears an orange airplane icon at the top of the screen with a field of view centered at 45o to the nose, so I trust I'm still in a "2D" view (even though the hat switch on my joystick allows me to look around from that position in what appears to be 3D).  It's kind of weird because if I hover the mouse cursor over the ready button, the description for the EFIS map pops up.  The fact that anything popped up at all tells me that x plane is recognizing that area of the screen (right over the ready button) has some functionality, yet clicking it does nada.  It IS a bit annoying to have to look at the center console to type, then move back to the display to see what's on the screen, but I guess I can live with it.  I tried to go to the corvalis developer's webpage but it was a broken/dead link.

which shifts the view over and there appears an orange airplane icon at the top of the screen with a field of view centered at 45o to the nose, so I trust I'm still in a "2D" view (even though the hat switch on my joystick allows me to look around from that position in what appears to be 3D).

This means you have somehow re-mapped your right arrow key to do a pan right instead of what X-Plane does by default. It sounds like you have re-mapped your right arrow key to do the equivalent of what happens when you press the 'E' key in 2D mode. Is this correct?

• 3 months later...

This is the proper procedure to enter a waypoint in the FMS:

CREATING AN ACTIVE FLIGHT PLAN:

1. Press the FPL Key on the MFD.

2. If you are in 2D Mode – Press the Ready Pad button in the upper right corner of the Active Flight Plan Page to "pop-up" the ReadyPad.

3. Press the INIT Key on the ReadyPad.

4. Press the DIRECT TO (D>) Key on the ReadyPad.

5. The currently selected waypoint will be highlighted in the Active Flight Plan Page. (NOTE:  Use the SEL Key to change the selected waypoint if necessary.)

6. Turn the small FMS Knob to the right to display the Waypoint Information Window:

7. Press one of the five "Type"" keys on the ReadyPad to indicate the type of waypoint you want to enter; APT, VOR, L/L, FIX, or NDB:

8. Using the ReadyPad alphanumeric keypad, enter the identifier of the waypoint – when you have completed the entry, the name of the waypoint, its type, and its location information will display.  

9. Once you have entered the correct waypoint, press and "hold" the ENT Key on the ReadyPad until the waypoint is accepted.

10. The Waypoint Information Window will close and the waypoint ID will appear in the appropriate field of the Active Flight Plan Page.

11. To enter the next waypoint press the (right arrow) of the SEL Key on the ReadyPad to advance the FMS to the next waypoint and then repeat steps 6 through 10.

I can't enter a second waypoint in FMS.

When I repeat step 6 the previous waypoint is erased.  When I turn the small FMS Knob to the right to display the Waypoint Information Window in the background I see the previously entered waypoint delete.  I currently have v9.62 on a Mac.  Any suggestions would to great

When I repeat step 6 the previous waypoint is erased.  When I turn the small FMS Knob to the right to display the Waypoint Information Window in the background I see the previously entered waypoint delete.  I currently have v9.62 on a Mac.  Any suggestions would to great

Are you sure you have advanced the FMS to the next waypoint "field" as in step 11?  This MUST be done PRIOR to going back to step 6. Otherwise you will be "editing" the "highlighted" (previous) waypoint.

Jim

Are you sure you have advanced the FMS to the next waypoint "field" as in step 11?  This MUST be done PRIOR to going back to step 6. Otherwise you will be "editing" the "highlighted" (previous) waypoint.

Jim

yes the field below entered waypoint gets highlighted then turn small knob which bring up entry popup , i would press INTI the previous waypoint in background disappears. What is INTI?  that was my problem

Jim

yes the field below entered waypoint gets highlighted then turn small knob which bring up entry popup , i would press INTI the previous waypoint in background disappears. What is INTI?  that was my problem

Pressing the INIT key should ONLY be done once (in step 3).  Subsequent waypoints are entered using steps 6 through 11.  So... if you Press the INIT key a second time you will "initialize" the FMS and lose ALL your entries.

Jim

So another problem

how do get rid of invisible way point that thousands of miles away

see pict

Press the SEL key until the waypoint field is highlighted.  Turn the small knob to the right.  When the Waypoint Information Window appears press the CLR key on the ReadyPad and that will "delete" that waypoint.

Jim

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I have a GC 460 GTX and a 1600*1200 screen. I run Win 7. Either in windowed mode or full screen, i cannot read or click on the last range of letters of the Ready pad. They are not displayed on  the screen. Is it me, or a known bug ?

Can i create a flight plan with the free version of Goodway and import it in the Garmin ?.

Thanks.

Hi All,

I have a GC 460 GTX and a 1600*1200 screen. I run Win 7. Either in windowed mode or full screen, i cannot read or click on the last range of letters of the Ready pad. They are not displayed on  the screen. Is it me, or a known bug ?

Can i create a flight plan with the free version of Goodway and import it in the Garmin ?.

Thanks.

The 2D panel is 2048 wide.  You can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to scroll right and left, which should allow you to bring the entire ReadyPad into view.

Not sure about Goodway as I don't use it... maybe someone else will comment on that.

Jim

http://www.xpgoodway.com/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=10&categories=#40

GoodWay Flight Planner FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

·  What are the differences between the freeware version and the shareware version?

Well, the Shareware version includes all the utilities of the Freeware version and in addition:

* The ability to print maps, flight plans and airport plans

* The ability to export maps and airport plans in JPG format

* The ability to export the flight plan in TXT format that can be read and displayed by X-Plane

* The ability to export a special format of the flight plan that will be interpreted and loaded into X-Plane FMC

* The ability to create your own aircraft hangar

* The ability to have GoodWay display the ENV files available on your hard drive

* The ability to display the actual flight path over the programmed flight plan

* The ability to download and install the ENV files of the GLOS program

* The ability to automatically update the software

* The ability to download the real weather Metar file

* The ability to set all X-Plane parameters and then place you at the commands of your aircraft ready for takeoff Please note that these options are NOT available in the freeware version

In other words, you can't export a flight plan, into X-Plane, from a freeware version of Goodway.

I have purchased full version and it's as easy as clicking one button [export to fms] and then copying this newly created file file to appropriate X-Plane subfolder. I highly recommend paying for this very useful resource, for it's additional capabilities and for supporting people doing really good job. Goodway is more than worthy investment.

Lis.

I run Win 7 64 bits and X plane 9.67.  Goodway is very very slow, and often never finish his task.. However, i have exported a flight plan in the FMS of the Corvalis. Very nice feature indeed.

Greg. In a future release, can you give us  a Goodway compatible version of your Corvalis ?

Regards.