[SOLVED - See Reply 35] frame rates

rover

Nope.......same problem here.......Saab 340 drops my frame rate by about 15-20 fps. Especially bad in cockpit view. :(

I'm having exactly the opposite.  In the cockpit (shift-9 view, with my trackIR4), frame rates are fine/comparable to other planes.  In the external view (shift-4 view) they drop to 7-8fps, in the same location where the cockpit view yields 17-30 FPS.  If it helps:

specs:

i7-2600K CPU

8gb DDR3 ram

GTX570 4gb video card

win7 professional x86_64

I'm having exactly the opposite.  In the cockpit (shift-9 view, with my trackIR4), frame rates are fine/comparable to other planes.  In the external view (shift-4 view) they drop to 7-8fps, in the same location where the cockpit view yields 17-30 FPS.  If it helps:

specs:

i7-2600K CPU

8gb DDR3 ram

GTX570 4gb video card

win7 professional x86_64

DId you have add-on scenery in the external view?

i7-2600K CPU

8gb DDR3 ram

GTX570 4gb video card

win7 professional x86_64

Two questions:

1. HDR on or off?

2. What screen resolution with that video card?

I'm going to discuss this a bit more with Laminar this week, but here's the primary deal, folks:

HDR has some neat features (especially the night lighting) but is yet to be optimized still to where Laminar wants it. We've made an add-on that's VERY detailed. I don't mean offense to other products, but in most cases I have yet to see a product as detailed in 3D as this one. It's not about proper or improper modeling habits as much as it is pushing the limits and envelope. As with any add-on, we must learn to adjust.

I personally have never had much issues (and I've flown the Saab A LOT), but looking back on it, it's probably because over the various X-Plane versions I have felt that HDR has gotten WORSE and not better. The contrast is just one thing that kills it off, and the way that AA renders in it can either be an eyesore or a slideshow in most instances. As such, more often than not these days I leave HDR off unless doing night flights.

As the X-Plane market grows and more detailed add-ons come out (especially scenery) we will start to see these issues become even more obvious. Please realize what you're dealing with here. We're only just getting around that curve where we match what people like MSFS have had for years. They have even services and guides just to learn how to optimize your settings because of stuff like this and how big that market is!

For now, regretfully, my suggestion is to keep HDR off. I hate to offer this as a suggestion, because I love it when people enjoy our products how YOU want to enjoy them. That said, there are two sides to ever coin, and that's where we are in this juncture of X-Plane development. Luckily, hardware rapidly gets faster and better year and year (if not faster).

P.S.: PLEASE don't waste your own time by trying to re-install the Saab with the lower res version. It will NOT improve your FPS if you have a video card that we deciphered can truly handle the higher res version. The only time anyone would notice change is if they have a low res capable version card but did not answer the installer question truthfully and selected higher res instead.

• Upvote 2

Changing shadow options to "None": + 5 fps

turning off HDR: + 10 fps

I guess there's something wrong with HDR on that plane. Turning off HDR on other planes does no noticable negative FPS-effect on my machine.

Ditto on the HDR. Off yields 10 fps.

Haven't messed with shadows yet. Oddly, my FPS is the same at KFAT as KSEA. Turning off AI aircraft yields no change.

My specs:

i7 920 @ 4ghz

6gb ram

Gtx 680 Classified 4gb

Res set at 1920x1080

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Shane

Turning off HDR provides higher FPS, but adjusting the AI, shadows, etc. doesn't seem to help at all. Weird.

Having said that, even with the better performance of having HDR off, performance is still pretty low.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 2

Shane,

If you're gaining 10 fps with HDR off, please tell me what your actual FPS is?

I have the same video card as you, running extreme at a higher screen res than you and I'm able to easily attain 30+ fps.

Unfortunately, the assumption that HDR is to blame is wrong. 

Texture: extreme res at 3840x1080; shadow 3d on aircraft, at KSEA;

HDR off - 22

HDR on - 21.

Texture: high res. Exactly the same fps.

So the low frames are not due to HDR or texture res quality, Please check other possibilities,

Otherwise, looks like a great plane! Thank you.

HDR off - 22

HDR on - 21.

So the low frames are not due to HDR or texture res quality, Please check other possibilities,

Otherwise, looks like a great plane! Thank you.

With your settings at "Extreme" and that size monitor you're lucky your getting the frame rates that you are.

HDR may not be affecting you, but it is obviously affecting many others.

JGregory. I agree. But my point is that HDR is hardly the reason for low fps. I have 777 running at 28-30 with the same settings. And that one is considered to be tough on fps. Cheers.

I am quite sure if you compare the Saab to other aircraft you will see a significant difference in many areas. As I have said before, you will most likely not get the same performance with the same settings.  This is almost always the case as new aircraft get released with more features than the previously offered. In order to bring this type of sophistication to users there is a lot of advanced technology in use with the Saab.  One of the factors affecting peoples performance is HDR.  No one said this was solely an HDR issue, but it is a factor for many, as has been proven by some stats posted here by users of the Saab. Again, just because YOU don't have an issue with HDR, doesn't mean someone else won't.  Everyone will be able to find a happy balance between settings and performance, it will just take a little time.  

• Upvote 1

HDR off - 22

HDR on - 21.

This one is pretty easy. If you are experiencing NO fps change, then this would be due to your massive resolution causing your GPU to use up as much fill rate as is essentially present. I don't know your system, but you are really stretching it with that resolution and this add-on.

for me the answer to fly without hdr no sense.no offense. I really like the saab and Felicitos for work but my flights have to be hdr on

If you "have" to have HDR on then you have to live with what you have. Laminar is not done with optimizing HDR, and until they are, I don't know what else to tell you. It's known there are issues with HDR as a whole. No doubt, it is beautiful at night though!

Here's the skinny, folks:

We're at an interesting point in X-Plane development. We can either stick with status quo, or we can push the boundaries and show others in the MSFS "what's up." There have been some GREAT simulations released over the years, but one of the most common things I hear about these simulated products is that the 3D is either "bad, lacking, sucks, or okay" and the textures are "not very good". We're changing that.

The reality is the Saab has been VERY well received thus far, and we're VERY happy with the sales so far. I have yet to receive an e-mail from any customer about this, and those who have complained are right here in this thread. It's a very small group.

Hardware will continue to get better, and we will continue to be able (collectively as users of X-Plane) to adjust our settings for the better. The MSFS world has been doing this for YEARS. Had we made a sub-par design, hardware could get better, but our design would never change.

I think once Laminar gets around to smoothing out more HDR issues and how it renders, we'll be on a good track and everyone will be happy. There will be a few bad apples, but overall things should be good. The Saab is definitely NOT unusable by any means, especially with people seeing such high speed increases with HDR off. This alone should tell you that the Saab is not the issue, but how HDR renders and is not yet fully optimized is.

I would love nothing more than for HDR to just work, because the Saab has some amazing night lighting with it. For this, setting adjustments may be necessary. I am away from home right now, but when I get back into the office I will definitely test out more settings for HDR and see what I can provide as help for people. If we could control this, we would, but we won't sacrifice the look of a beautiful product that runs without issue and with great frame rates for 99% of people with HDR off.

• Upvote 3

This one is pretty easy. If you are experiencing NO fps change, then this would be due to your massive resolution causing your GPU to use up as much fill rate as is essentially present. I don't know your system, but you are really stretching it with that resolution and this add-on.

If you "have" to have HDR on then you have to live with what you have. Laminar is not done with optimizing HDR, and until they are, I don't know what else to tell you. It's known there are issues with HDR as a whole. No doubt, it is beautiful at night though!

Here's the skinny, folks:

We're at an interesting point in X-Plane development. We can either stick with status quo, or we can push the boundaries and show others in the MSFS "what's up." There have been some GREAT simulations released over the years, but one of the most common things I hear about these simulated products is that the 3D is either "bad, lacking, sucks, or okay" and the textures are "not very good". We're changing that.

The reality is the Saab has been VERY well received thus far, and we're VERY happy with the sales so far. I have yet to receive an e-mail from any customer about this, and those who have complained are right here in this thread. It's a very small group.

Hardware will continue to get better, and we will continue to be able (collectively as users of X-Plane) to adjust our settings for the better. The MSFS world has been doing this for YEARS. Had we made a sub-par design, hardware could get better, but our design would never change.

I think once Laminar gets around to smoothing out more HDR issues and how it renders, we'll be on a good track and everyone will be happy. There will be a few bad apples, but overall things should be good. The Saab is definitely NOT unusable by any means, especially with people seeing such high speed increases with HDR off. This alone should tell you that the Saab is not the issue, but how HDR renders and is not yet fully optimized is.

I would love nothing more than for HDR to just work, because the Saab has some amazing night lighting with it. For this, setting adjustments may be necessary. I am away from home right now, but when I get back into the office I will definitely test out more settings for HDR and see what I can provide as help for people. If we could control this, we would, but we won't sacrifice the look of a beautiful product that runs without issue and with great frame rates for 99% of people with HDR off.

ok, thank you very much for everything! . the truth that saab is wonderful! very good job!. Do not take it as a complaint simply as a report. here again thanks and have a happy buyer who will continue to support your product. you deserve it !!!