Saab 340A - Released!

Cameron

Is Laminar actually involved with that, though?

Yes, they are. Ben Supnik to be exact.

although it'd be helpful if your plugins should pop something up saying 'this doesn't work in 32-bit' when you try to; the aircraft actually *loads* in 32-bit xplane

But you would need a 32-bit plug-in to be able to tell the person "this doesn't work in 32-bit." Can't do that with a 64-bit plug-in.

So, if someone is having that problem and is confused, and searches the forum, they'll find this thread, and get their answer

Isn't that the point of the pretty graphics that specify system and X-Plane compatibility on the product page? :)

Good work, Thanks you. Interestng, what that's that sound in the cabin like a extending flaps or similar, during taxi, it repeated every minute. What does this sound? 

There is a problem, the radio frequency is adjusted very slowly  :wacko:, can you adjust speed of rotation? 

And thank you again for such a great aircraft, I love them :wub: . From russia with love, and sorry for my english. 

what that's that sound in the cabin like a extending flaps or similar, during taxi, it repeated every minute. What does this sound? 
That sound is the hydraulic pump cycling as the pressure drops and the pressure switch kicks in.  This happens because when you're taxiing the steering is hydraulically actuated.  You will also hear the pump cycle over a period of time just sitting on the ramp due to leakage in the system.

There is a problem, the radio frequency is adjusted very slowly  , can you adjust speed of rotation? 
If we make it too fast you will not be able to make "small" changes in the frequency.  

And thank you again for such a great aircraft, I love them  . From russia with love, and sorry for my english. 

You're welcome!  I hope you enjoy the aircraft.

Jim

Lead Programmer

LES Saab 340A

Yes, they are. Ben Supnik to be exact.

But you would need a 32-bit plug-in to be able to tell the person "this doesn't work in 32-bit." Can't do that with a 64-bit plug-in.

Isn't that the point of the pretty graphics that specify system and X-Plane compatibility on the product page? :)

Right, because people read all of that before they come here to complain :)  I'm a software developer myself, I am always telling people to RTFM but they never do... heck most people don't even search the forums ;)

Oh well, here's hoping XSB64 is available soon.  I want to fly the saab on VATSIM... :P

One question due to the installer. I plan to buy the Saab in the next few days, but my X-Plane 10 PC has a rather slow internet connectionwhile my Notebook in genaral can use much faster connections. So I normally download planes and sceneries with my Notebook (that doesn't use X-Plane 10) and transfer it at home with the LAN. Is this feasible with the Saab or do I have to trust the limited connection speed of the X-Plane PC?

One question due to the installer. I plan to buy the Saab in the next few days, but my X-Plane 10 PC has a rather slow internet connectionwhile my Notebook in genaral can use much faster connections. So I normally download planes and sceneries with my Notebook (that doesn't use X-Plane 10) and transfer it at home with the LAN. Is this feasible with the Saab or do I have to trust the limited connection speed of the X-Plane PC?

This is a question that Cameron can help you with.  He will be here later on.

Jim

Lead Programmer

LES Saab 340A

The installer requires a copy of X-Plane 10 to be present. It's somewhat complicated to do it as you want it, because we install everything on your machine (not just the aircraft) to make sure things operate right for you.

So you know, the installer does support resume in the instance your connection drops.

• 2 months later...

First congrats on a very well made aircraft, really enjoy this bird. But I think I found a small but glaring error :o  

It's the shape of the glare shield and the error is 'in your face' practically all the time :P  And besides being a constant reminder being what it is and where it is, it's actually also a bit obstructive because it blocks the view forward a bit.  I hope some vertices get's shuffled around a bit in the near future. Other than that, great addon :)

Pictures says more than a few words, so here are some pics that hopefully shows what I mean 

BwdawyV.jpg

pdo0uq2.jpg

As one can see, in RL the top of the glare shield is angled more directly towards the window sills while in the sim, it is extruded almost horizontally before it angles down toward the windows. You should be able to see almost the whole window frame from a pilot's perspective, try that in the sim without moving your head up and to the forefront of the overhead panel. ;)

A few more pics 'over the counter' just to show how it look's.

VjOTDGk.jpg

gI0WLee.jpg

Sorry I didn't have any better pictures for you, but I hope you can take care of this glaring bug on my glare shield. If it happens I'll gladly rate this aircraft a 10 out of 10  :lol:   

Merry Christmas!

• Upvote 3

Can't you just change the pilot's seat height in Plane Maker? Looks more like a viewpoint issue rather than a graphics model issue.

I have tested several times and it is NOT the viewpoint issue BUT changing 3D model would be like making a new plane with the new mapping etc. so I am not surprised at all that it will be no changes in that area.

Personally I would experiment with the "lateral field of view " value in Rendering Options window ( my settings are  65 deg) and the relative position of the pilot in corresponding "view/quick_look_x" set.

While one can not argue with Scarp's statement's,  I have found LES Saab 340 A being such a great complex design that these findings are negligible for me. :D

Take a look at my VFR, IFR, Instruments Close and other views access in the video. 

After a very "bad start" with LES Saab 340A, which was a part of my reluctance ( I can admit to when I am wrong) to make a fresh XP installation which got rid of the "junk" ( unused plug-ins, scripts etc), I am now probably one of the happiest Saab users. :)

Take a look at the video, I am able to access all areas of interest instantly by pressing the button ( two views assigned to joystick , VFR and IFR) and others to numeric pad keys.

Cheers, AJ  ;)

P.S. Just in case, all my views are moving slightly but this is how I like it ( Cinema Verite from View menu is on). I like the cockpit to "shake" a bit while flying. B)

No, it is not a question of viewpoint, it is a somewhat deformed glare shield, and I am quite astonished in regards to the reply from the developer. This is a very expensive addon and one would think that things were up to shape, and if they weren't, I would expect it to be fixed in the future.

But a blatant 'no'?

Not only is it an error, but it's also very hard to ignore as it's in your face + it obstructs the view, in sum is a total immersion killer.

And to top it off, it is an easy fix from a modelers viewpoint (I'm a among other thing's also a developer myself). I don't think I am nitpicking or trying to be difficult either, I'd be quite happy if they just lowered those vertices just a tad. No remapping or new polygons are required, just a lowering of those vertices that are extruded horizontally. 

I mean, I think it's crazy, the aircraft is so very well made in every other aspect, but this glaring bug 'will not be dealt with'? That does come off as very strange considering it is a top dollar addon, if it was my work I would have been a bit embarrassed and I would have rectified it ASAP, no doubt! And just to make sure, with embarrassed I mean the jovial "woops, my bad" type embarrassed, not embarrassed  embarrassed.   :P  

Well, whatever, if there's definitely not gonna be issued a fix for it from the developers I guess I just made a bad investment, no worries.

For those who says it's correct here are some better pics where you can clearly see that the top of the glare shield has an angle down towards the windshield from the get go, there is no flat/horizontal part first and then a downwards angle :

http://www.airliners.net/photo/NextJet/Saab-340A/1672851/L/&sid=969187520daf5913c3103394d6b1039c

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Botnia/Saab-Fairchild-SF-340A/0280748/L/&sid=969187520daf5913c3103394d6b1039c

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Chicago-Express-Airlines/Saab-340B/0368081/L/&sid=969187520daf5913c3103394d6b1039c

http://www.airliners.net/photo/United-Express-(Colgan/Saab-340A/0599114/L/&sid=969187520daf5913c3103394d6b1039c

http://www.airliners.net/photo/US-Airways-Express/Saab-340B/0665533/L/&sid=969187520daf5913c3103394d6b1039c

and a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ob7oRxMTX0

Well this will be my last post in regard to this matter, the issue has been raised and I don't have anything else to add.

I certainly hope the devs will take this into consideration despite the initial 'no' (which could technically just have been a reflex 'no' shot from the hip)  :D

• Upvote 1

would be like making a new plane with the new mapping etc.

No no, that is my point. There is no need for a new model or remapping, just a lowering of the vertices...that's all. If it was more complex I would certainly understand that anyone would be hesitant of backtracking through the mesh and make major alterations. But this is not the case, you could lower the said vertices without adding anything else or remapping for that matter.

:)

And just to make clear, I am very happy about the rest of the aircraft and I agree that it's well done, both visually and system wise.

Edited by scarp
  • Upvote 1