Saab 340A Enters Beta Testing!

Cameron

you just lost a sell...

I love linux....used it for a long time, but never, EVER, blamed anybody for not supporting it.  I knew the risks when I used it and that was on me and your usage is on you.   Trying to act like its someone else's fault is really in poor taste.  You drive down that road, you take the curves that comes with it!

TomK

• Upvote 3

Developer dont care about Linux is a small market in the  X-Plane community but we are there....  maybe the only developer care about Linux is ramzzess fortunately is the better one

That's sounds so much like sour grapes to me lol.

Honestly, the linux taliban are their own worst enemy!

• Upvote 2

I've used Linux for 20 years and developed one of the distributions, back in the day.. I have many Linux boxes in my house and at work, but I still keep a Windows 7 desktop around for games and X-Plane, because I know that's a platform that will always see all the add-ons and such made for it.

Why choose one OS or another, when you can have both?  Or all three if you really need a Mac for something?  Even on the same hardware, you can dual/triple boot (ok, it's a bit tricky to get OSX to boot on non-apple hardware but I hear it can be done; I have never had a need to do so, however.)

• Upvote 2

I suppose if you're running Linux, then you're correct. Then again, we already calculated that into our assumptions since you're running Linux and we already knew support wouldn't be there.

On a broader question...you and what army?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll add it to the three other notes I have from linux users.

Well, apart from Richard RMS Stallman and a few posters on this topic, it's a silent army, obviously...

Others, like me, sigh, shake their head, and pay the Microsoft tax to be able to run this long-awaited Cityliner.

Despite the efforts of Laminar Research, the SDK team and numerous add-on developers, it takes just one must-have add-on like this to spoil it for Linux users. And so the X-Plane Linux army shrinks from 4% down to 3%, and so there is even less reason for future Linux development. A chicken-and-egg problem...

You will probably tell me that there are reasons that I don't know anything about, but I wonder if the obstacle is technical, or if it is fear for difficult support questions because of the numerous Linux distro variants out there...

Anyway, you can count me in for the Saab 340A, but I will let my hair grow like like RMS, in silent protest!

• Upvote 1

You will probably tell me that there are reasons that I don't know anything about, but I wonder if the obstacle is technical, or if it is fear for difficult support questions because of the numerous Linux distro variants out there...

It's been publicized before. The answer is that we have been there, done that. Not only is it a support challenge due to the vast amount of "flavors" of Linux (which FEELS like instability to a support person due to inconsistencies), it's also an ROI issue. For what we need, it's not as simple as pressing the "compile" button. There's many libraries that need to be in order for various items prior to this, then there's just the general bug sifting. Once that's out of the way, the support headache just adds the icing to the cake. I have had MORE Linux issues from LESS Linux sales than I have from Windows users over the years from a technical runnable product standpoint.

I'll give you one thing...ya'll are passionate and vocal about your OS. That said, we've dipped our feet in those waters before and know what it's like from experience already.

• Upvote 1