WED - Forests

fletcherj

Greetings,

I am attempting to create forests on top of an orthophoto I created for my local airport. I keep getting errors when I point WED (1.1r2) to a default forest resource saying it cannot locate the resource then the sim crashes. I googled the .org and X-pilot and cannot find a solution. Any one offer any assistance???

Thanks! 

post-6257-0-67329400-1369695721_thumb.jp

Log.txt

Edited by fletcherj

He's adding the forest using absolute pathing - which you cannot do in xplane.

All resources must be relative to the custom scrnery folder or from the built in library.

You cannot ask for a resource from "C:\somedir\somefolder\someforest.for" which is what is happening in the above example.

even if it did work, it wouldn't work on anyone else's computer. (I don't have a "C:" drive on my Xplane computer).

Thanks for the help guys! Found the solution. Moved my selected .for file and .dds to the Custom Scenery Folder of my airport. WED directed right to it. Forest populated in sim when I launched X-Plane. 

Thanks for the help, you guys are great. 

Fletcherj

I wouldn't go moving any files out of the default scenery locations if I were you. Other scenery is bound to use it from it's default location, and you'll get your 'missing scenery' problems again.

The other thing is, I'm not sure you can distribute your scenery (ie: upload it to the org) if you have potentially copyrighted material included in your scenery package. It's OK to reference it (using the lib entry), but not to copy it. I could be wrong about that, but it'd be worth checking.

You reference it via the library system.

I betcha there is a valid XP-Library entry for that exact forest definition file somehere in "lib/g8/" as Andy pointed out. I'll have a look when I get home in Xplane's "default library.txt" definition files (thres a few different library.txt files it could be hiding in - somewhere in /Resources/900)

How else would WED access the file without moving it? Copying the file to the Custom Scenery folder is how WED identifies the file and creates it...am I wrong in this assumption?

In short, yes.

In WED, you should see a Library Panel on the left. If you can't see it, select View -> Restore Frames

post-7835-0-84177100-1369794865_thumb.jp

You should see a 'lib', which contains XP default scenery items. You simply select the things you are interested in out of there.

XP uses a library referencing system to make this all work without having any OS specific paths in your scenery package.

And here they are:

lib/g8/terrain/rainforest_steep.for

lib/g8/terrain/rainforest_hill.for

lib/g8/terrain/rainforest_flat_low.for

lib/g8/terrain/rainforest_flat_mid.for

lib/g8/terrain/rainforest_flat_top.for

Any of these 5 versions above all point to the same "forest" file you were referencing.

- CK.

(for those keen spelunking, this is in the library.txt file)

Resources/default scenery/900 forests/library.txt:

EXPORT lib/g8/terrain/rainforest_steep.for rainforest.for

EXPORT lib/g8/terrain/rainforest_hill.for rainforest.for

EXPORT lib/g8/terrain/rainforest_flat_low.for rainforest.for

EXPORT lib/g8/terrain/rainforest_flat_mid.for rainforest.for

EXPORT lib/g8/terrain/rainforest_flat_top.for rainforest.for

Edited by chris k