New Computer Advice

Charlie

I am thinking of buying a new computer for X-Plane. The computer I'm currently looking at has:

CPU: Intel i5 3570 Ivy Bridge 3.4Ghz

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 630 2GB DDR3

RAM: 8GB

HDD: Seagate/WD 1TB

I don't need Ultra high graphics but I do want to be able to run xp10 decently. I don't have much more money to upgrade to anything too much more expensive but I am wondering if I could get anything better with what I have.

I am thinking of buying a new computer for X-Plane. The computer I'm currently looking at has:

CPU: Intel i5 3570 Ivy Bridge 3.4Ghz

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 630 2GB DDR3

HDD: Seagate/WD 1TB

I don't need Ultra high graphics but I do want to be able to run xp10 decently. I don't have much more money to upgrade to anything too much more expensive but I am wondering if I could get anything better with what I have.

If your going to use it as a "sim only" machine, that's not a bad spec IMHO. :D

If you shopped around a bit you could up the spec on the processor and or increase the RAM a bit for the same money?

But if your not lucky enough to have a "sim only" machine, be doubly sure to check that you turn off all the "extra processes and programs running in the background" that are not needed when running X-Plane (especially if running Windows). Or all that lovely new hardware may get "bogged down". WD VelociRaptors are my "HDD" of choice, got 5 on my sim machine :D :D

cessna729.

If your going to use it as a "sim only" machine, that's not a bad spec IMHO.

When I said "for X-Plane" I lied a little :) . I also need to have some stuff for school (Microsoft office, notepad++ etc.), some photo editing stuff and I have about 50-55GB of stuff that I need to transfer but I'm used to restarting the computer before using xp from the crappy family computer :)

Alright,

This system will be slightly more expensive but just within my budget:

CPU: AMD FX-8350

GPU: Nvidia Geforce 480 1.5 GB

I don't know which one will work better with X-Plane but I'll be getting the one that does :)

i recommend you do not get a 630 or 480 you should at the very least be looking at a gtx 650 TI boost as that is much more powerful then both card also Microsoft office runs with Intel HD so i wouldn't worry to much about those and one more thing don't get an amd cpu for x-plane it's a mainly single core application and amd's single core performance isn't that great you should only get one if you are building a render farm

i recommend you do not get a 630 or 480 you should at the very least be looking at a gtx 650 TI boost as that is much more powerful then both card also Microsoft office runs with Intel HD so i wouldn't worry to much about those and one more thing don't get an amd cpu for x-plane it's a mainly single core application and amd's single core performance isn't that great you should only get one if you are building a render farm

I'm going to get the 630 because of the price but I've gotten a more powerful Power Supply so there is room to upgrade more powerful GPU in the (hopefully) near future. I'm looking into getting the intel but I'm not sure I will be able to afford it along with the upgraded Power Supply.

Edited by Char1ie473

I'm going to get the computer with the 630 now just because with all of the work I'm doing for school now I really need a computer thats able to run Microsoft Office and GIMP which this computer can't. With my current job it will only take about 1 and a half school terms to save for the GTX 660 Ti which isn't too bad, especially as I won't need to upgrade the power supply. And anyway, there is now way for it to run X-Plane any worse than the computer which I'm on now :).