PMDG officially developing for X-Plane

This sounds more believable to me.

I guess I am alone on thinking the PMDG will hire the people needed to port their existing 737 to X-plane. Who knows maybe they saw the previews of the  733 for X-plane and decided  to go all in and are porting the 777 they are working on.   I just find it really hard to believe that they will want to enter a new market with a lite product, or a product with limited appeal.  If I was running PMDG I would wait until I had the right people on staff and the expertise to do it right and release  a product that says who they are.   As I said in another post it's not like they NEED to release for X-plane right now, it makes better business sense to take their time and release a product that will build on the reputation they have built up in the MSFS world.  

Correct me if I am wrong but the 733 is IXEG's first release as a group right?  Did they decide to start with a small prop plane...  NO they took years and built a plane that puts them on the FS map. 

I don't see why people think it's impossible for them to do that. PMDG employs some of the most talented programmers in the FS world, and each release they have had was ground breaking in the MSFS world at the time of it's release.  I bet they strive to do the same in X-plane and I doubt they will settle to be a also ran just to rush into the market

Edited by mike10
  • Upvote 1

Correct me if I am wrong but the 733 is IXEG's first release as a group right?  Did they decide to start with a small prop plane...  NO they took years and built a plane that puts them on the FS map. 

As a group, yes. But as individuals and previously released team projects they have released a fleet of aircraft over the years. A lot of reasons you are unaware of went in to why the 737 was the decisive product, and it would likely surprise you, though this is not my stage to speak on for someone else.

I don't see why people think it's impossible for them to do that. PMDG employs some of the most talented programmers in the FS world, and each release they have had was ground breaking in the MSFS world at the time of it's release.  I bet they strive to do the same in X-plane and I doubt they will settle to be a also ran just to rush into the market

No one said it was impossible. That said, the reality is far more possible the 737NG will not be their first product.

just find it really hard to believe that they will want to enter a new market with a lite product

Just because the 737 may not be the entry product doesn't mean any other has to be considered "lite." I would find it very hard to believe PMDG does something so simple.

As a group, yes. But as individuals and previously released team projects they have released a fleet of aircraft over the years. A lot of reasons you are unaware of went in to why the 737 was the decisive product, and it would likely surprise you, though this is not my stage to speak on for someone else.

No one said it was impossible. That said, the reality is far more possible the 737NG will not be their first product.

Just because the 737 may not be the entry product doesn't mean any other has to be considered "lite." I would find it very hard to believe PMDG does something so simple.

The J41 was probably only made for MSFS because the owner of PMDG flew them IRL, The DC-6 was intended to be a special project to keep idle team members busy when not needed on mainline projects.  Plus they both are rather limited appeal planes.  I doubt they will expend the resources to convert those. The B1900  same thing. 

This leaves the 744, md11, NGX and 777

744 is too old.  The MD-11 while groundbreaking when released was kind of a sales disappointment. So I doubt they will go there. 

This leaves the 737 and 777 and they said they switched at some point.

Maybe they intended on going 777  but decided that the 777 with it's fly by wire modes and other difficult systems was just too much.  Plus the R+P 77 is already on the market and while the PMDG plane would be better the X-plane market is too small to support two 777's so they switched to the 737

OR

Maybe they intended to go 737 but saw the IXEG plane and decided that the NGX would need a lot of work to be at the same level and decided to take the R+P plane head on.  

Either way I bet they enter the market with a bang. Even if it takes a few years.

Plus they both are rather limited appeal planes.  I doubt they will expend the resources to convert those.

I wouldn't be so sure, and I'm quite confident the market is plenty there to make suitable profit on these two products. Don't sale such aircraft short...trust me. It's further amplified by an already existing reputation as well.

I also noticed that PMDG is working on a Dash 8. Yet another area of the x-plane payware market that has already been filled.

Maybe they intended to go 737 but saw the IXEG plane and decided that the NGX would need a lot of work to be at the same level and decided to take the R+P plane head on.  

Hehe I can only hope :)

Many of you may already be aware of this but, since October 2012 PMDG have been developing an aircraft for X-Plane 10! They have said that the aircraft will be announced close to the release date. They also say that they have plans to continue x-plane development after the first aircraft is released.

You can read more about it here (at the bottom of the first post) http://forum.avsim.net/topic/394754-22dec12-development-cycle-updates/

Any guesses as to which aircraft will be the first conversion?

The post quoted above , starts a two page conversation.

A conversation about what?

For me just a conversation about.............the fact there is not any new news..

Forgive me for making some small comments.

Michael_Chang showed us a stunning NGX painted by McPhat  and X-PlaneAustralia showd us one stating thes planes will even show better in X-Plane.

I must disappoint you ,reality is a bit different.

McPhat-paints for the PMDG NGX are no more avaiable due to copy-right-issues.

Seen in that light its not very likely to see McPhat produce their extreme quality for PMDG planes in X-Plane in future.

Till this moment the quality of paintwork for X-Plane is limited, the best results still can be achieved in FSX these days.

I am confident future will change that, in time.

Edited by Leen de Jager
  • Upvote 1

Many of you may already be aware of this but, since October 2012 PMDG have been developing an aircraft for X-Plane 10! They have said that the aircraft will be announced close to the release date. They also say that they have plans to continue x-plane development after the first aircraft is released.

You can read more about it here (at the bottom of the first post) http://forum.avsim.net/topic/394754-22dec12-development-cycle-updates/

Any guesses as to which aircraft will be the first conversion?

It started a discussion. Forums are a place for discussion?

I also noticed that PMDG is working on a Dash 8. Yet another area of the x-plane payware market that has already been filled.

Hehe I can only hope :)

I believe the dash-8 has been quietly cancelled.  Have you seen the previews for the majestic q400 for FSX...  OMG is all I have to say.  Deepest systems simulation to date and the graphics are stunning.    I know there is a dash 8 for X-plane but it's a very lite simulation of it.  

This is why I feel the IXEG 733 is so important. This will be the first TRUE deep simulation for X-plane. 

I am really curious to see what plane they are converting.   Maybe Cameron and some other the others here is right and they will do something like the j41 just to get started.  I just can't see them converting a plane that old but we will see... Either way it's good to have another quality developer working on X-plane. 

Edited by mike10

The MD-11 while groundbreaking when released was kind of a sales disappointment. So I doubt they will go there.

But i hope it will be the MD-11 cause it is a fantastic aircraft, and i am tired of all the boeings floating around.

Although it is not directly related to PMDG and X-Plane (but the MD-11) - I can second both above excerpts. Why? Meanwhile I was twice in a full flight sim, the first time it was the Lufthansa MD-11 at Frankfurt EDDF. Usually there are 3 people, you have one hour briefing, one hour flying and around 30 mins debriefing. With the MD-11 (unfortunately :D) I was sole, so I had the "pain" of flying the whole hour myself ...

Most people want to fly (only) Boeing and/or Airbus, that's also obvious, when reading the announcement for a new plane of these manufacturers in the flight sim forums. Is it the herd instinct? :P

Just my 2 cents, as this is a discussion ;) forum.

I think there's a lot of wishful thinking in this thread. I don't think PMDG will dip their toe in the water with a complex airliner, rather an advanced GA or a regional prop. The Beech 1900 is my best bet, the Dash 8-100 is what I wish for.

They have never made GA planes for any sim dating back to FLY!   The beech 1900 is really old now.  I am not sure why people think they need to rush and get a simpler plane out.. they can learn in house on a plane that fits their product line better and just not release until ready. They probably have another solid 5 plus years of FSX development left before the user base will go away to X-plane or what ever sims come out. They have a solid market in FSX right now, so they are not in a position where they have to release something for x-plane  to make payroll.  X-plane is most likely the long term post FSX  plan for PMDG, they appear to already have chosen to go that route instead of developing for P3D 

BTW speaking of that.. I think they made the right choice..   I would not trust lockheed to stay in the sim buisness.  Some of these FSX devs that are putting all there eggs in that basket ( ORBX)  are putting themselves in a position to be one board meeting from being SOL.  

I wouldn't be so sure, and I'm quite confident the market is plenty there to make suitable profit on these two products. Don't sale such aircraft short...trust me. It's further amplified by an already existing reputation as well.

Well out of the JS and DC-6 I would think the DC-6 would be the most likely.   With that said..

Take a look over on avsim at the general PMDG forum,  you will see the development threads at the top.  At one point a DC-6 thread was there but it did not get nearly the interest as the 777 threads so it's kind of disappeared.  A market does exist for those older classic planes but it's really a limited limited market.  I agree with you that you can make a profit and a plane like the DC-6  but it's not the type of plane that I would pick to enter a new market and WOW potential new customers.  

Edited by mike10

My five Cents:

At my Option, PMDG wants to sow their Deepment of the Systems but they are new to X-Plane Developement. 

They want to make an Plane with an Custom FMC but not to much Systems like FBW etc.

The 747-400 is an pretty old Plane but it's great in FSX and the MD-11. The MD-11 is a bit newer than the 747 ( Developed for FSX) .

Then to the Little Aircrafts:

Popularity: People buy the Aircrafts they see and fly in Real Life (The most time)

YOu see the B1900 often in the USA but in Europa, they are really rare! 

• 5 months later...

How about the European Saab 340? Can't speak to it's quality (not an owner), but it is a brand spankin' new turboprop for X-Plane...

As an owner of the 340A, I can speak of its quality.  It has certainly raised the bar for X-Plane and requires no excuses when compared to some of the PMDG aircraft I have seen. 

And just think, it's only V1.0...

• Upvote 2

What we need are good airliners

What " YOU " need you meant

I admit I never understood the fascination of people to fully computerized airliners ... but real piloting, I mean in real life are done in small plane or twin regional turboprops ... Have you ever wondered why real life airline pilot are soaring gliders and doing flight aerobatics over the week end ? To keep a good feeling about piloting, cause during the week they are only programming FMC ...

Anyway, it's a matter of taste but you got the 777,CRJ200,A320,747, incoming IXEG 737, EADT 737 and much more I forgot, that are complex airliners, and we have only the BAe, Q400 and the Saab ...

We are X-Plane, not FS, so maybe we should balance the aircrafts per category instead of filling teh airliner category and leaving others empty ...

Especially as turboprops holds a very important place in real world aviation !

Edited by Hueyman
  • Upvote 5

I admit I never understood the fascination of people to fully computerized airliners ... but real piloting, I mean in real life are done in small plane or twin regional turboprops ... Have you ever wondered why real life airline pilot are soaring gliders and doing flight aerobatics over the week end ? To keep a good feeling about piloting, cause during the week they are only programming FMC ...

A lot of my good friends, are these airline pilots who fly a variety of aircraft on their off time. Being involved with experimental kitbuilt/homebuilt aircraft for the last 20 years is the reason.

Another advantage of "experimental", is being able to know different people from different companies, who bring us all of this high tech computerized aviation gear.

It's this high tech gear, that will save your hind end, more than not. If you think I'm kidding, then just research all of those airliner accidents of the past, when this equipment was not available. High tech is truely my fascination. I wouldn't even think of leaving it behind, for the lure of those past days.  Just saying my two cents here. Whatever is developed for flight simming is fine by me. I do have a very nostalgic mind, when it comes to those 40 & 50's prop liners. I just like those big fire popping radials. At the same time, just keep those computers in the airliners. There was a time, in which hand-held GPSs had more info, than most airliners had available. It wasn't that long ago. It's still somewhat the case, since a Cessna 172, and many experimentals have a better array of life saving essentials, than some semi modern airliners.

What " YOU " need you meant

Anyway, it's a matter of taste but you got the 777,CRJ200,A320,747, incoming IXEG 737, EADT 737 and much more I forgot, that are complex airliners, and we have only the BAe, Q400 and the Saab ...

We are X-Plane, not FS, so maybe we should balance the aircrafts per category instead of filling teh airliner category and leaving others empty ...

Especially as turboprops holds a very important place in real world aviation !

Yes it's just a matter of personal choice i guess. I for example have never understood the fascination of flying old fashioned aircrafts that aren't used nowadays anymore. With an exception made to the Concorde, just because it's a fascinating aircraft!

I can easily confirm that FSX would have been my ideal simulator, since it is more oriented airliners than X-Plane. But the reason i've never tried it is simple: i never had any Windows-PC and prefered OSX. That's why i had no choice and had to accomodate with X-Plane. But since more and more FSX-user makes the transition, i think that the need of good standard airliners is not as small as you think. The x737 for example has no 3D cockpit yet. And yes there is an excellent 733 in developpment, but we are still waiting for it.

And i like the Q400 as well! It's a modern aircraft and has an excellent performance. I really love it! But i dont' really see any difference beetween the way we fly a Q400 or a A320. Both are flying at >FL240 and follows a flightpath.

For me the fascination of aviation is to plan a full flight like real pilots of big carriers. I want to plan the optimal fuel, fly with real winds aloft and have live-traffic (IVAO or VATSIM). And to admire the world from a high altitude. I could once show you the screenshots i made during a flight over Greenland with the B777. The ice-covered mountains under north-lights are just amazing! So thats what i like in the simulation. I am note interested about doing "acrobaties" for example. Or it can only be funny a few minutes ;-)

But going back to turboprops: i agree with you and i like them as well. But please modern ones like the Q400 ;-)

And you forgot that it exists a good ATR 72-500 and an excellent J32. And in the category small aircrafts you can choose beetwen seven or 8 good modeled Carenado's.

So, once again: i would prefer something like a good A330 or A340 ;-)