Saab 340A Preview - New Variant! - April 2nd, 2013

Cameron

Okay, now that April Fool's is over, it's time to show off some more shots! :)

Today we're announcing a new variant of the Saab 340A: Cargo!

This variant will be included free of charge with the base package for all Saab 340A customers! It includes the cargo interior as well as a few liveries. We have a few more surprises in store on this project too, so stay tuned there!

Programming on this product for all the systems has come to an end. We have been internally beta testing the Saab, and will soon move onto sounds once some final items are put in place with the Gizmo core. At that point we'll be expanding our beta to a few Saab 340 pilots (real world), after which it's release time.

All this said, we still have a lot to show you ahead, and we're really excited about it! 

Enjoy the Cargo variant previews! :)

ALH_04_02_2013_1.jpg

ALH_04_02_2013_2.jpg

ALH_04_02_2013_3.jpg

ALH_04_02_2013_4.jpg

ALH_04_02_2013_5.jpg

ALH_04_02_2013_6.jpg

ALH_04_02_2013_7.jpg

ALH_04_02_2013_8.jpg

ALH_04_02_2013_9.jpg

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

I know that it's not meant to be a "light" one system-wise, but is there any more detailed information about systems?

Eyecandy is nice at the beginning...but systems are nicer the longer you fly a plane... ;)

Really looking forward to this

Flo

Edited by FloB

I know that it's not meant to be a "light" one system-wise, but is there any more detailed information about systems?

Eyecandy is nice at the beginning...but systems are nicer the longer you fly a plane... ;)

Really looking forward to this

Flo

Sure...find a Saab 340A manual and start reading. :)

In all seriousness, though...there's way too much to list. I think the best way will be through video or the manual we provide itself. As we have previously indicated, this product is intended to be study level and mimics the real world aircraft systems. There are no generic displays or autopilot functionality here. We'll definitely post more on this, as it's a very important part of this product.

• Upvote 3

In all seriousness, though...there's way too much to list. I think the best way will be through video or the manual we provide itself. As we have previously indicated, this product is intended to be study level and mimics the real world aircraft systems. There are no generic displays or autopilot functionality here. We'll definitely post more on this, as it's a very important part of this product.

You're absolutely right, bring on the systems demo vid! :D

Flo

NICE!   Thats what I am looking for..  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just discovered this aircraft for X-plane and I can't wait for it to be released. I've not been an X-plane user before but I will when this get released.

I take it the small modifications for the cargo model in the cockpit are there. (the smoke detectors and removal of one recircfan springs to mind).

I also hope that everyone is aware that you can not leave the computer and go to the toilet when you fly the cargo version as it's been removed. =)

I take it the small modifications for the cargo model in the cockpit are there. (the smoke detectors and removal of one recircfan springs to mind).

I'm not 100% sure here, but there are many variants of the Saab rolling around, and we've had to stick to "one". So many different panel configs, etc. It may be so that Saab standardized the Cargo variants, but I don't have any clarification on this.

Please be aware this is modeled after the A. Our primary concern is the passenger variant, and if the cargo variant has mods in it where smoke detectors are removed then we're not really concerned about that. The cargo version is thrown in as a bonus, and these are small factors that will have to be lived with.

Minus the cabin differences visually, if it's in the 340A passenger systems, it's in the cargo version. Non-issue, really.

• Upvote 2

I'm not 100% sure here, but there are many variants of the Saab rolling around, and we've had to stick to "one". So many different panel configs, etc. It may be so that Saab standardized the Cargo variants, but I don't have any clarification on this.

Please be aware this is modeled after the A. Our primary concern is the passenger variant, and if the cargo variant has mods in it where smoke detectors are removed then we're not really concerned about that. The cargo version is thrown in as a bonus, and these are small factors that will have to be lived with.

Minus the cabin differences visually, if it's in the 340A passenger systems, it's in the cargo version. Non-issue, really.

All 340s that have had the cargo conversion are A models as far as I'm aware. So it's the right version to have as the cargo SAAB=)

It's only 5 very minor changes in the cockpit.

Removal of:

1. The P/A intercom handset behind the central column.

2. The seatbelt and no smoking switches as well as the call and emerg lights on the overhead panel. That section of the panel is just a grey background with the hole for the cabin area microphone

3. The L recirc fan switch on the overhead panel

4. The cargo fire extinguisher switch on the overhead panel

One very simple additional system is put in place.

5. A test panel for the 6 cargo smoke detectors is put where the cargo fire extinguisher is normally located on the overhead panel. It consists of 3 buttons/indicators that are of the same type as the nav source L/R buttons/indicators. The function of the system is that when the test button is pressed it should lit up the numbers 1-6 in the remaining buttons and activate the cargo smoke and avionic smoke caption on the CWP. It does not activate the lavatory smoke caption as the smoke test on the passenger model does as the toilet has been removed and system deactivated.

I can provide pictures of the differences if you are interested in applying them. It's hardly a dealbreaker if you don't. The aircraft looks absolutely stunning in the pictures and I'm looking forward to see it on my computer=)

I can provide pictures of the differences if you are interested in applying them. It's hardly a dealbreaker if you don't. The aircraft looks absolutely stunning in the pictures and I'm looking forward to see it on my computer=)

We're not looking to integrate cargo specific features at all. The aircraft fuselage and interior has been modified  but the cockpit will not be. We could, of course, go strictly for reality and dismiss the cargo variant from the package as a whole if this bothers people.

We're not looking to integrate cargo specific features at all. The aircraft fuselage and interior has been modified  but the cockpit will not be. We could, of course, go strictly for reality and dismiss the cargo variant from the package as a whole if this bothers people.

It's not bothering me at all. I was just asking as the differences are almost only cosmetic so I would imagine that they are pretty simple to implement.

I do see that my initial post might have come across the wrong way I apologise for that. It was meant to be a kind question, not a critical statement.

You are doing a great job. Your pictures are so close to the look of the real aircraft.

I was just asking as the differences are almost only cosmetic so I would imagine that they are pretty simple to implement.

This is simply not true. As a member of the development team I can assure you that the changes you have mentioned are much more involved than simple cometics.

Jim

Good for you staying upbeat, SAAB340!

I haven't been following this project closely, but even making small changes to a 3D cockpit can take a lot of work. I'm not a 3D modeller, but from conversations with friends who are, if the SAAB is using baked textures (shadows pre-rendered into the textures, which make everything look more realistic without the processing cost of real shadows) then the cockpit would need to be re-baked after removing those switches and features you mentioned. Then, ongoing, the team would need to maintain two separate versions of the project. That can be a lot of effort.

Hopefully, once the passenger version is completed, they might consider making the cargo-specific cockpit as a bonus feature in an update perhaps. And I really hope Cameron won't carry through that threat to take the freight version and go home ;)