Saab 340A Project Cancelled

Cameron

NOTE: This was an April Fool's Joke

Hi, Folks,

It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I announce we have folded up the Saab 340A project. There have been many uphill battles in development with this project, especially in the programming side. While we did get 90% of the way there in our development, that last 10% often times amounts to the biggest hurdles in these kind of products.

Leading Edge Simulations' team will be taking a small break away from any kind of development over the next couple weeks. We believe there is a larger market for slightly more simplistic simulations that take less programming and better 3D/eye candy. As such, we will soon announce the next two projects that have already been underway once the guys at Leading Edge Simulations get back from their break.

We thank everyone who has been patient throughout the development process of the Saab, and for sticking around for news as long as you have. Your words of encouragement are not missed!

Wow...horrible news! :( Will you maybe have someone else pick up this project or work on it at a later date?

I have been waiting patiently and so long for this project. It's one of the nicest aircraft I have ever seen for X-Plane. :(

I've got this great bridge I think you might be interested in.  I hate to see it go, but will of course give you a great deal on it.  Suspension wires not included.

• Upvote 1

Well, I also think this is just an April's joke, but sadly the statement

We believe there is a larger market for slightly more simplistic simulations that take less programming and better 3D/eye candy.

might well be true for some folks.

Edited by mariodonick

Oh. :(

Well, many things might add to this decision, one of them being able to develop and support a more complex plane in a reasonable amount of time. Often, this can only be done by bigger teams.

And indeed there is a market for eyecandy planes. But do it right. Don't do a second ATR 72-500 (which is nothing but a shiny default plane with lots of bugs).

Besides that ... XP really needs more complex planes for being taken seriously by FSX simmers. Just the 777 and the CRJ 200 are not enough ... and there is not a single General Aviation plane that is as deep as some of the planes available for FSX ... Maybe this field would also be an option for LES?

Edited by mariodonick

It's sad and somewhat baffling if you decide to trash an aircraft with so much graphics finished because you cannot make the plugins work. I guess you have your reasons, but have you considered releasing the plane in a simplified, plugin-free version, or even using another plugin SDK like SASL? Seems such a waste when so much work must already have gone into it.

And the part about customers preferring eye-candy over depth? Well, count me out.

With Ben's recent and peculiar post about laptop problems in mind, I'm crossing my fingers that this is not due to some catastrophic shortcoming of Gizmo. Many other projects depend on the framework — the MU-2 update, the IXEG B737.

Edited by rick_studder