Is HDR rendering in XP still an issue for most?

pryoski

Just curious, because up till now I've not really bothered with it. Today I've turned it on but it still seems to make my MFD's (and the display on the FMC) just go dark regardless of the plane I'm flying ... I'm running XP 10.20 (stable).

In case it's an issue with my card, I've got AMD Radeon 7800 series card and running the latest Catalyst 13.1 drivers (stable).

I've tried searching on this but the HDR thing doesn't appear to be current anymore ... any input/ideas greatly appreciated!

The Edit ... probably should've reworded the subject as "Is HDR rendering in XP still an issue for some?"

Edited by Kris Pryo

Not for most anymore. Many of the aircraft vendors have worked with LR/Ben on this over the past 6 months, and they've got the lighting issues mainly covered these days. They would be in the minority if there is.

However, In terms of rendering speeds:

4x SSAA + FXAA is actually now FASTER than non-HDR Mode. i.e. I get consistently better FPS++ in HDR mode vs Non-HDR.

Ben's been doing some fantastic optimizations in this area. I'm now using HDR mode exclusively.

- CK.

• Upvote 2

Not for most anymore. Many of the aircraft vendors have worked with LR/Ben on this over the past 6 months, and they've got the lighting issues mainly covered these days. They would be in the minority if there is.

4x SSAA + FXAA is actually now FASTER than non-HDR Mode. i.e. I get consistently better FPS++ in HDR mode vs Non-HDR.

Ben's been doing some fantastic optimizations in this area. I'm now using HDR mode exclusively.

- CK.

Huh, i'm getting without HDR nice 25FPS, with 4x SSAA + FXAA 3 fps....

Thnx for the information Chris ... (have I told you I love your work? I love your work man! YSSY and YPAD are glorious and REALLY come to life with HDR).

I am running 4x SSAA + FXAA and love the atmosphere, but looking at the issue more carefully I notice that the anomaly for me happens on the FMC screens of some aircraft (I know I initially said all .. that's incorrect). Specifically it looks like an old VT100 style terminal that's lost it's sharpness and clarity ... or like an LCD screen that's been damaged so that the characters are incomplete and unreadable. It happens for both 64bit and 32bit modes).

The aircraft I have noticed this effect is on the JARDesign A320neo (all MFD's & FMC screens), the default KingAir C90 (FMC screen only) and the FlyJSim Q400 (FMC screen only).

The EDIT: Also on the FlyJSim 727-200F (love this aircraft) it affects the green LED that let's you know at a glance which COM/NAV radio is active ...

Cheers!

Edited by Kris Pryo

• 5 weeks later...

Seems to be affecting the Bombardier Challenger 300 Captain Edition

Just curious, because up till now I've not really bothered with it. Today I've turned it on but it still seems to make my MFD's (and the display on the FMC) just go dark regardless of the plane I'm flying ... I'm running XP 10.20 (stable).

In case it's an issue with my card, I've got AMD Radeon 7800 series card and running the latest Catalyst 13.1 drivers (stable).

I've tried searching on this but the HDR thing doesn't appear to be current anymore ... any input/ideas greatly appreciated!

The Edit ... probably should've reworded the subject as "Is HDR rendering in XP still an issue for some?"

Seems to be affecting the Bombardier Challenger 300 Captain Edition in a similar way. The green information digits disappear as does the background colour of the PFD display whenever HDR is enabled.

In 64 bit since the new SASL 64bit plugin was updated a couple of weeks back that is, as regards 32bit the same problems apply.

It isn't intermittent either it is every time HDR is enabled. Sigh! This was the only one of my top rated payware planes that was flying without problems. Think I will go sob quietly in a corner.

Edited by Femke
  • Upvote 1

I think it's my monitor .. it's an old resuscitated 19" monitor that was getting thrown away @ work .. guess I'll bite the bullet and get a decent one that  will do justice to the rest of my rig; which considering it's not the bee's knees is still not too shabby ... lol! Hells bells I might even splurge and get myself three hehe!

Edited by Kris Pryo

Got a DX11-level card? ;)

i.e.  Fermi, Tahiti, Kepler, etc.. chipsets,

I don't need this Card...  i have the best GPU forever, you don't need any NVIDIA or AMD GPU's.  With the Ultimative Intel HD Graphics 3000!!!!  With imense 512 MB VRAM!    

( i hope, you see, that this is Ironic)

• Upvote 1

I just tested with and without HDR. I flew the Duchess from KSEA for about 1min 30 sek. Then I went to replay mode, and benchmarked the replay as it was playing 60 seconds of it. Each time from the same point of time.

I did nothing to manipulate the view, it was 3D cockpit and looking forward.

Here's my findings.

HDR OFF - 4x antialiasing
Frames: 1759 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 29.317 - Min: 24 - Max: 33

HDR ON - 2x SSAA + FXAA
Frames: 1575 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 26.250 - Min: 24 - Max: 29

HDR ON - 4x SSAA + FXAA
Frames: 1293 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 21.550 - Min: 19 - Max: 24

Tested with these settings. Only HDR/antilaiasing were changed. 1920x1080 windowed mode.
post-171-0-08733700-1365426366_thumb.png
Edited by OlaHaldor

- CK.

Are you serious? I find it hard to believe because 4xSSAA gives a huge performance hit by nature and I don't know what Laminar could do to make it faster than 4xMSAA. It might related to your specific system.

Performance for HDR / non HDR on my system (GTX670-2GB, 2600k) is about the same as ola's and for me it's still an issue because even FXAAx4SSAA (which is expensive performance-wise) produces more shimmering at daytime and dusk/dawn than 4xMSAA.

As Ben said, there are hopes that someone comes up with a new and fast solution for a high quality AA for HDR. But that is not for sure and it will take some time. TXAA is not very good either at this time.

Regards

Flo

Edited by FloB