nVidia Titan

Ntr09

So in summary based on experiences you've made:

• For X-Plane only playing it's not worth the price, instead it's better to buy GTX690 with a high-end (i7) CPU
  • For not only X-Plane users who plays other simulators, games, uses blender a lot it could worth the price, but i7 is still recommended. 

Am I right? I'm just before buying new desktop computer and still uncertain should I buy Titan, or 690 will be enough for me. As I see, there is no big difference between the two cards about the price.

Cheers!

Yes, both are very very expensive ..

And don't worry, my I73970X is maxed out when making a working in Blender ( renders ) or any video/image/sound editiing, Computer Assisted Music etc etc

But it's also a good investment for the years to come, hopefully this kind of rig will easily handle next X-Plane version, and also other simulators/games

I stumbled upon this post and, has I am working in the game industry on graphics engines, I feel that I have to put things straight.

... The fact there are multiple cores on your CPU these days, is not really relevant in most rendering engines. Almost every gaming 3D graphics engine out there runs single-threaded too; so X-Plane is not alone here.

It's quite the opposite, and has been for a while, all top professional game engines are multi-threaded. Given the fact that game companies want to get the best results and cram as much as they can in their games, why would they leave 75% of the processing power (in the case of a quad core CPU) unused in the first place ?

• Valve presented their work on their source engine in 2007, here are some interesting slides.
  • Volition also presented their work in 2007, the presentation can be found here. This one is especially interesting as it presents the whole design process leading toward a multi-core engine.
  • The same goes with DICE, a presentation can be found here.

I had quite a long email discussion with Ben, back in 2008 probably, explaining him why the job architecture was the way to go with a multi-core hardware. So who knows, may be one day this will happen.

PhM

• Upvote 1

I stumbled upon this post and, has I am working in the game industry on graphics engines, I feel that I have to put things straight.

It's quite the opposite, and has been for a while, all top professional game engines are multi-threaded. Given the fact that game companies want to get the best results and cram as much as they can in their games, why would they leave 75% of the processing power (in the case of a quad core CPU) unused in the first place ?

• Valve presented their work on their source engine in 2007, here are some interesting slides.
  • Volition also presented their work in 2007, the presentation can be found here. This one is especially interesting as it presents the whole design process leading toward a multi-core engine.
  • The same goes with DICE, a presentation can be found here.

I had quite a long email discussion with Ben, back in 2008 probably, explaining him why the job architecture was the way to go with a multi-core hardware. So who knows, may be one day this will happen.

PhM

Interesting presentations.

There's a part of me that recalls a comment being made by one of the X-Plane developers that GPU drivers are single-threaded, hence the single X-Plane rendering thread.  (Disclaimer: I could be very wrong about this.)

Have you been in contact with Ben lately regarding any progress?

...There's a part of me that recalls a comment being made by one of the X-Plane developers that GPU drivers are single-threaded, hence the single X-Plane rendering thread.  (Disclaimer: I could be very wrong about this.)

I could probably find out about the drivers by asking a contact at AMD. Nevertheless it does not mean that the engine using the driver has to be single threaded, these are two different things.

Have you been in contact with Ben lately regarding any progress?

Nope, nothing. Given the posts I made on the org that he answered he knows about my findings, there are also people in touch with Laminar on several forums that most probably read this kind of posts.

PhM

I still cross my fingers they'll make the simulator driven or accelerated by either by CUDA or OpenCL. I see a lot of use with these two in professional video apps where processing needs to be done in real-time in order to deliver on time, in the highest quality, at frame sizes larger than you can imagine being used for film and video.

So far mine has performed great over photoscenery level 18 and cities can drop it down to upper 20`s to lower 30`s. Otherwise its over 100 in mountains with trees and photo scenery.

Just wishing I had more time to play with it. Next month when the rest of guys come for annual gathering we get a chance to see what it can do. I am sure Tom Kyler and Cameron will

give it a workout.[/quote

Hi there,

Where do you get level 18 photo scenery?

Cheers

• 1 year later...