NorCal screenshot of the day

RealScenery

Sorry that this topic has not been very active for a couple of weeks. One of the software programs I use to create RealScenery is produced by Laminar. A few weeks ago, a bug was found that didn't allow for two neighboring scenery areas to edge-match correctly to each other along their boundary. We managed to get this bug fixed, but then another very strange bug appeared where a hole to the center of the earth would appear near the junction of neighboring scenery areas. Now, I'm happy to report that this bug has been fixed, too, and we can move on with production. I now have a special build of the software and one that should be very robust going forward. :) I'm grateful to Laminar for taking the time to help me with this over the past few weeks.

While waiting for Laminar to investigate these bugs and code the fixes, I started work on a much improved technique for smoothing/flattening the airport terrain. The current method used in RealScenery products works, but not as well, or as consistently, as I would like. I'm going to finish up the programs to smooth the airports, then re-run the scripts which generate the final scenery using the, hopefully, bug-free software.

Thanks again for your patience!

Eric

RealScenery.com

Edited by RealScenery
  • Upvote 3

The new elevation processing programs to flatten the NorCal airports were tested and appear to be working as I had hoped! :) Below is a sample from one of the newly flattened airports. This is necessary in order for the airports to not have ridges and bumps after processing through Laminar's creation tools.

This is a huge advance in the technology to flatten the elevation within an airport area using automated tools, and will benefit both NorCal and all future scenery projects going forward.

Below is a sample from KHES, Healdsburg Municipal Airport, north of San Francisco.

I'll be testing this more extensively, as well as verifying all the airport ICAOs prior to running the final scripts. There have been some changes to a few airport identifiers over the course of this project's development, so this will get everything up-to-date as of 2013.

flattening.png

• Upvote 1

Will there be any demo releases similiar to Arizona HD?

Keep up the good work.

No demo releases, as has been consistent with our past two releases. I believe our screenshots already do the talking, and since performance is naturally better than you can even get with default scenery, there's really no concern there either.

• 5 months later...

It's been a while since I posted some screenshots. Here are some more images captured while flying around the San Fransisco Bay Area.

Enjoy!

Flying south over the city of Walnut Creek. The Interstate 680 interchange with Highway 24 is visible just above the Cessna.

norcal_o1.jpg

Flying over Oakland, looking north toward Alameda and the San Francisco Bay. Interstate 580, the MacArthur Freeway, is on the right (east) side of the image.

norcal_o2.jpg

Looking south over Union City. Interstate 880, the Nimitz Freeway is the main highway on the left (east) side of the image.

norcal_o3.jpg

Flying north over the city of Hayward. The Hayward Executive Airport (KHWD) is located between the Cessna and the San Francisco Bay, just west of the Nimitz Freeway.

norcal_o4.jpg

Over Union City, looking west across the San Francisco Bay toward the cities of San Mateo and Redwood City.

norcal_o5.jpg

Edited by RealScenery

Just teasing us again. where is the buy button Cameron ? You told me last week it would be ready this week in person.

Well, I didn't say that, but I did say the span of time to create such a release would be about that time. :)

In any case, really cool stuff to show you guys coming up. :)

May I ask, what is the cut-off date for the rendered sceneries? I notice one of the screenshots is missing a landmark building built almost two years ago.

There are many image sources used because NorCal covers such a large area. While the most current imagery is desired, because of image quality or availability, older imagery may have to be used. We try to choose from the best available imagery, rather than using a newer image that has overexposed, blown out areas, or long shadows, haze, clouds, or other artifacts that affect image quality.

Like any map or aerial photo, they are all outdated as soon as they are created.