NorCal screenshot of the day

RealScenery

Whats the frame rate like?

Performance for RS products is often times better than what you would expect to find with default scenery. This is due to a number of factors, but in short, it's a lot more efficient than the layered approach X-Plane default scenery gives you. 

I would hesitate to criticise Austin for anything but i do think he has given himself a task with scenery that is essentially a mountain that is not worth climbing. Real scenery will always be preferable to plausible, for the simple fact that it is real. While your Washington and Florida were nice, Arizona with the hi rez Phoenix and Tuscon was a revelation. I live in new Zealand and yet have spent endless hours exploring Arizona because it looks so good.  And then flying into Honolulu from an outer island is a treat, it truly is stunning.

X- plane is a journey that I have had the privilege of enjoying for 20 years now, from those basic planes that all had the same cockpit and scenery that left you never quite sure how far off the ground you were (with the inevitable result) but the attraction was that the planes "flew" that and the constant upgrades.    

Austin's X-plane, flyjsims 727 and Real scenery is, as a package, something to to behold.  

A credit to you all.

Edited by Sopwith

Real scenery will always be preferable to plausible, for the simple fact that it is real. While your Washington and Florida were nice, Arizona with the hi rez Phoenix and Tuscon was a revelation. I live in new Zealand and yet have spent endless hours exploring Arizona because it looks so good.

Really a matter of taste, I think, and certainly one of quality. What RealScenery offers here looks very professional and very good, so it's really an option. But some people say that photo-based scenery has an "Hiroshima look" and "plausible" scenery is the way to go, others like photo scenery much more. This discussion is a very old one (when you take similar stuff in FS9/X world into account).

I think both options can look great. Andras Fabian's New Zealand scenery, for example, consists only of standard elements and is very beautiful. But my hometown (Rostock, Germany, near the Baltic Sea) looks much better with an orthophoto on the ground, but XP roads and OSM buildings on top.

Question to Cameron: Actually, I would like to be able to add OSM buildings on top of the NorCal scenery as well, because it's very FLAT. Is this possible? I remember that in Oahu it wasn't.

Thanks, Sopwith, for the kind words about flying with photoscenery. I'm glad you're enjoying your Arizona and Oahu scnenery.

Actually, I would like to be able to add OSM buildings on top of the NorCal scenery as well, because it's very FLAT. Is this possible? I remember that in Oahu it wasn't.

You can certainly add OSM buildings on top of any of our photo scenery, Mario. I have used OSM2XPlane to create buildings for NorCal. Also, there are many screenshots on several flight sim forums of this being done for Oahu as well. You are correct that the default OSM that comes with X-Plane 10 will not render on top of RealScenery, but you can certainly create your own.

You can certainly add OSM buildings on top of any of our photo scenery, Mario. I have used OSM2XPlane to create buildings for NorCal. Also, there are many screenshots on several flight sim forums of this being done for Oahu as well. You are correct that the default OSM that comes with X-Plane 10 will not render on top of RealScenery, but you can certainly create your own.

Thanks. Then I have to try again. Maybe I made a mistake in prioritizing the custom OSM. IIRC I had the Oahu photo textures as downmost layer, followed by your Ohau overlays (which probably contains your street definitions, so the cars drive on top of the photos), and the custom OSM as topmost layer. Which seemed to replace, not add to, your overlay. I'll try again.

How does the resolution compare with the more recent googe earth imagry at max zoom settings?

Google resolution varies according to location and their imagery source, generally from 1 meter to half meter or better, especially in popular urban areas. NorCal uses several resolutions and data sources, but in general, the displayed resolution is between 1 and 2 meters, which a compromise based on the size of the geographic area and the need to control bandwidth costs, which keeps the product price reasonable for everyone. Edited by RealScenery

Thank you for your resolution reply. One to two meters is pretty impressive for such a large area.

It sounds like a very reasonable and elegant solution to the problem.

I suspect that the imagery will actualy look even better once we have it up full screen and ful res in the sim.

-- looking forward to seeing that "coming soon" flag dissapear; if you don't have a release party - I will. :)