The definitive answers to all your CRJ-200 questions...Release Info and More

Cameron

Okay, everyone,

It appears a lot of people here have got lost in the blunder of threads and replies here, as it seems more and more questions are being asked repeatedly about this project. As such, the following will serve as accurate answers to the most common questions we see here. I hope this helps clear the air for a lot of people out there!

When is the CRJ-200 going to be released?

• At this time we have NO publicly announced release date, nor do we plan to until we are certain we can make such a date. In short, this project will be released when it's done, and when it's done is when it will be done.

How much will the CRJ-200 cost?
  • For the time being we do not have an announced price for this product. As we approach release time we'll divulge more information on this.

What kind of systems modeling/plug-in work will the CRJ-200 have?

• We are aiming to recreate as much of the real CRJ-200 systems as possible, including a custom FMS, sound system, custom glass displays, etc. You can expect to be able to do a full engine startup/shutdown just like you would in the real aircraft, as well as monitor systems, such as fuel flow, hydraulics, and more due to our custom plug-in work.

Will the CRJ-200 have a custom AIRAC (Navigation) database, or will you rely on default X-Plane data?

What liveries are you going to be doing for this aircraft?

Will you be including a paintkit for the CRJ-200?

• Yes, we will be releasing a paintkit with the ability to also paint the aircraft in 3D mode if you have that functionality within your texturing program of choice.

Will you be doing a CRJ-700/-900 upgrade?
  • At this time we have not worked on such an upgrade, nor have we committed to doing so. This may change at some point in the future, but for now the answer is: We don't know!

Will the CRJ-200 have failures modeled?

• The initial release of the CRJ-200 is not planned to have system failures modeled other than what X-Plane already offers. However, we are considering this as an upgrade pack later on.

What is the best way to keep informed about news on this project, and how will I know when it's released?

That's all for now. I do hope this helps!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You missed one line brake after the list of liveries. :D

It's not missed...it's there, but the forum software has an issue with hyperlinks and lists in one, disallowing a break...something I'll fix when I have a little more time.

EDIT: Fixed forum code to allow such formatting.

I'm not registered to Navigraph, nor would i like. Are you including an up-to-date database with the release or am i forced to spend money for another service, in order to fly the aircraft?

Navigraph offers a demo cycle free of charge. This cycle is 0609, and the current cycle as of this writing is 1001. You will not recieve an up to date database unless you choose to subscribe to this service. Navigraph is the standard for flight sim navaid data, and is used by all the popular add-on companies like PMDG, Wilco, the UFMC for X-Plane, and many Flight1 Products. We will not be changing our way for default X-Plane data, as there is not enough data to sufficiently provide our customers with the realism we are trying to simulate.

Nice. A 2010 aircraft, shipped with 2006 navigation data.

Those of you finding the irony, may keep it.

This means you already know (or guess) it will be released in 2010 !  :D That's nice to hear.

I hope the file format for navigation data will be "open" or at least easy to edit and understand. Most add-ons I know are using text files, so you can even create your own points, airways or SID/STAR procedures. You can even create your own tools to convert AIRAC cycles from the sources you want.

But I like Navigraph. They provide a very good service for most Flight Simulator products so you don't have to care about this. OK it's not free, but if you really need the latest cycle then it's worth the price. And this also means you can update your AIRAC cycle... I know products where there's no solution provided (SimSoftWorkshop A310 or Reality-XP GNS using the Garmin Trainer data).

Nice. A 2010 aircraft, shipped with 2006 navigation data.

Those of you finding the irony, may keep it.

I fail to see the irony. A 2010 aircraft using a 2010 standard through a company that CONSTANTLY updates your data to 2010 and beyond (should you choose to update), OR should you choose to not update, you get a free old cycle that STILL has more data inside of it (everything the XP database has and more considering it still would have a SID/STARs database), and essentially enhance your sim even more.

The majority have asked for a navigraph feature, and that's what the majority will get. We're approaching this no different than has been seen in even the MSFS world, and there's no complaints there.

With the above said, if this still bothers you then I'm happy we were able to let you know now so you may take this plane off your "radar" without anticipation and alternatively finding out about this at a later date. While I would certainly like to hope otherwise, this plane may not be for you.

well.. like always I say.... If the computer is not loaded to the last data.. fly by hand. So PILOT a bit.

Yes.. I know that maybe are VORs that are not on the data you have.. but for sure is easy to create a new Radio Aid without paying. If you don't want to pay the Airac Data.. then you (all.. not talking about only one person) have the 2006 or whatever free one. You won't have Real Sids, Stars or even airways.. but you can find the real maps on internet so you can program fixes on the FMS to be the same as the updated data, and with the ARR/DEP procedures.. you can do the same.

Anyway.. I think this is not a cheap hobby. How many money I have paid to have my joystick, track ir, good computer, radio hardware and planes and airports? If someone wants to have all those things you have to pay the work. Of course there is free option but not always is covered and supported that way.

But as we say in my country. Nunca llueve a gusto de todos (never rains for everyone happiness)  ;D

I can't understand what is the problem about using Navigraph standard database. I mean all main developpers for FS use it because it provides with realistic and continually updated data. To use these kinds of hi-end products this data base is a must have! Everybody here is talking about wishin have some beatiful product like PMDG, WILCO or even better than them. Everybody is ready to spend some amount for this fantastic aircraft but some complaines appear to spend some more to be on top level regarding the realism.

Anyway, the CRJ will be fully functional so if you don't want to buy some data from Navigraph and use ready to load SID&STARS it's your choice.

Hi, Kamil,

Navigraph is a company that creates monthly cycles of worldwide navigational data, including updated SIDs and STARs. These are important for FMS navigation, as well as approaches, especially if one may plan to use the aircraft on something like the VATSIM or IVAO networks.

X-Plane data, however, is very limited in it's data content when compared to the Navigraph data, and does not come with monthly cycle updates, or SIDs and STARs data.

If you would like to learn more about SIDs and STARs, please go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_plan#SIDs_and_STARs

In regards, to costs:

Navigraph uses a credit system. Each cylce you CHOOSE to download costs 20 credits, and a pack of 100 credits costs 10 Euro. Doing the math, this means you get five cycles of downloads (you can spread the downloads apart if you like...i.e. every other month to last for 9 months...after 9 months unused credits expire) for that cost of 10 Euro. Alternatively, for 30 Euro you can purchase 350 credits.

A list of the currently supported Navigraph add-ons are here: http://www.navigraph.com/www/fmsdata.asp

As you can see, it is widely used by the masses!

Thank you kindly Cameron.

I can't see there a x-plane or something similar. Anyway. One thing remains unclear for me. What exactly a cycle is? Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I can understand it now, for ¢10 I can get SIDs and STARs along with all the waypoints up to date of purchase, right? But for what region?

Thank you kindly for your time you have spent making that clearer to me. Thanks.

Kind regards,

Kamil

Kamil,

The product list you see there is of development groups. You'll see something similar to that effect for the CRJ once released, unless we choose to share a dataset and we tell you which to download.

A cycle is an up to date release. In short, each months worth of data is considered a cylce. For example: January data is cycle 1001, February data is cycle 1002, etc.

You have it right...for 10 Euro you get SIDs and STARs along with all the waypoints that are up to date, and that purchase includes the ENTIRE WORLD. It is not region based data.

Of course I respect the developer's right to release his product in whatever state he wishes. None of us are forced to buy the product. With that understanding, I offer my feedback as a potential customer who has sentiments that may be shared by an unknown number of other customers who are not sharing their opinion.

I can say that as much as I was looking forward to this product, I am not interested in purchasing a subscription-like supplement just so I can keep flying with current information or else be stuck with something out of date. I am sure this Navigraph has some great features that interest others, but I am very happy with what X-Plane provides. I usually fly with the charts on a second monitor from the Internet, and X-Plane has never once let me down with a navaid that was inaccurate from what was posted on the most recent charts. I know that it happens sometimes, though they can be fixed and then updated for the good of the community at large.

I'm really not a fan of using the FMS that much anyway, especially for SIDs and STARs. I don't want it to do that much flying for me. I would rather look at the charts freely available online and then use them myself. Watching a plane turn and change altitude, etc. all by itself on a computer screen does not interest me. I do often use auto pilot, but I want to control the radios and carefully follow the procedures. Well, surely others do like the FMS, and that's great that we can all pursue our own differing interests.

It's just my 2 cents (or more properly $40 or $50, or whatever it will be) that I don't care to buy a plane that will require a subscription to stay current. I understand the features that the subscription has, but I don't want them. I am happy with what X-Plane has to offer on this matter. I offer this only as feedback, and the developers have the right to take it or leave it with no hard feelings. Now on the other hand, if all this affects only the FMS, then my concern is unfounded. If I can continue along with the latest updates as supplied by X-Plane by following the charts and putting in VOR/NDB, etc. frequencies in the radios as I always do, then there is no harm done on my end. In such a scenario, if I ever decided that an FMS with SIDs and STARs really is the greatest thing to ever come along, then I could change my mind about the value the subscription.

Now on the other hand, if all this affects only the FMS, then my concern is unfounded. If I can continue along with the latest updates as supplied by X-Plane by following the charts and putting in VOR/NDB, etc. frequencies in the radios as I always do, then there is no harm done on my end. In such a scenario, if I ever decided that an FMS with SIDs and STARs really is the greatest thing to ever come along, then I could change my mind about the value the subscription.

Then your concern is most certainly unfounded. Considering that with your purchase you'll receive a free, older AIRAC cycle that provides MORE data than X-Plane's current navdata, none of your concerns are "valid." You've stated you are happy with what X-Plane provides...we're providing you with more right from the get go. Should you DECIDE to utilize the subscriptions offered by Navigraph to update your SIDs and STARs even more, you're more than welcome to do so. That's a product they offer that we've made compatible with our CRJ.

To be honest, this whole disagreement is unfounded. Simply put:

1. X-Plane's current data is "legacy" compared to what we will give you for FREE when you first purchase the aircraft.

2. The subscription is OPTIONAL. No one is forcing you to use it, and the aircraft will run just fine without the latest data.

I do not understand what is so "legacy" about the current X-Plane data. It is updated nearly monthly on http://data.x-plane.com/ for anyone who wants to download it, and each new X-Plane version comes with this latest data upon release. Am I missing something there? I ask because I want to know. I really could be missing something.

And am I still understanding correctly that what comes free included with the aircraft purchase is from 2006? Wouldn't that mean that any changes since that time would therefore be inconsistent with the charts, and then it would only continue to get worse? The only charts I have available is what is current. The X-Plane data, "legacy" or not, manages to keep current with the charts I use. Again, if I can just forget the FMS and plug in the radio frequencies from the current charts, and let X-Plane data do its thing, then I'm happy. I'll leave the FMS stuff to the others.

Garrett,

X-Plane's data that you speak of is mainly airport updates...usually re-alignments of taxiways, sometimes better alignment of ILS fixes that were otherwise incorrect in previous data. In most cases, it's user submitted to Robin Peel and he packs it up and publishes it to everyone on the site you have linked to. To add to this, X-Plane data contains no SIDs or STARs information at all.

Yes, what comes included with the aircraft is from 2006. Keep in mind that the only REAL difference here is STARs and SIDs change frequently, hence the reason there are always new cycles released. Waypoints, otheriwse known as VORs and NDB's, etc, are pretty much stagnant and always remain the same, thus such information is NOT outdated. The Navigraph data only affects the use of the FMS, and nothing more. As such, I'll echo your own words and put them out as a statement that your concern is in fact unfounded. Choosing to fly by radio frequencies and charts has nothing to do with the data we are speaking of in this topic. For someone who chooses to fly like you, nothing has changed.

Of course, I never presumed to believe that the aircraft had to be designed just the way I wanted, and I hope I did not leave that impression. In this case, my concerns have been cleared up, but even if they weren't, that would still be the developers choice and I respect that.

I appreciate (and applaud) your further explanation. Thanks for taking the time so that it makes sense to me.

I do not understand what is so "legacy" about the current X-Plane data.

I'm not sure about the U.S. and Europe, but in the regions I fly (mainly Oceania and the Far East) X-Plane is frequently lacking major routes, VORs, NDBs, waypoints, etc.  I work around it just fine and I like to find real world charts and hand fly the approaches, but despite the frequent updates X-Plane's data is far from current.

One thing (gripe?) I have with navigraph - I use it for the UFMC - is that it's hard to update the XPlane database itself because there is no published Navigraph XPlane update.

The UFMC comes with a tool that I have to use in Windows to convert the PSS format cycle data to XPlane, then copy it over to my mac, and place the generated files in the xplane directory. Then I copy the PSS SID and STAR files directly into the UFMC plugin folder.

Will your CRJ come with an easier (mac compatible, preferably) tool to use to convert the cycle data into a format that XPlane can use?

....or will I not need to do that, since the CRJ FMC will take care of /all/ the navigation data, and XPlane itself doesn't even need to know about the airway/etc data that might be missing in the default xplane dataset?

Either way, I'm looking forward to some fun flights in the CRJ :D