64-bit support for PilotEdge

Keith Smith

Horani,

My last post said that we'll be switching in the 'coming months'.  It's not that it will take months to build the 64-bit version, but I need quite a bit of time to coordinate the swap to the new version of the third party library with all of the customers. The commercial operators need time to schedule the upgrade.

We'll see how this test goes in Europe. I can't comment on Australia without knowing about the potential market size there. If you have any indication of the number of potential users there, it would be good data to have.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Good news, I came up with an approach this morning to implement a 64-bit Mac plugin while still using the 32-bit library, removing the need to have the entire userbase upgrade to a new version of the voice library.

I should be able to start on this in about 2 weeks from now.

Sweetness!!  Now that I have a brand new MacBook Pro I can finally fly V10 so this is good news!

Good news, I came up with an approach this morning to implement a 64-bit Mac plugin while still using the 32-bit library, removing the need to have the entire userbase upgrade to a new version of the voice library.

I should be able to start on this in about 2 weeks from now.

Great news!!!

• 6 months later...

Got the bridge pretty much working, but the deployment and support would've been problematic. It just wasn't a production-grade solution. So, I'm just pulling the trigger and going with a full 64-bit implementation.

The first step is a single, unified build for win 32, win 64 and Mac. That is now done...the installation is much simpler than before, it's a fat plugin with a single folder that you drop into place. 

I just need to pick a date and pull the trigger now. I'll post updates here.

In other news, the recently-released Mac 32-bit client does allow you to use the COM2 radio now (like the Windows plugin does). Additionally, ATC can now trigger system failures from the scope. It's pretty neat stuff. That feature is mostly used by commercial clients, but we have tested it with a few retail customers (with their permission...they just didn't know what failure was coming, or when).

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Realized the bridge was going to be too hard for many people to deploy. Am pulling the trigger with the voice server upgrade (resulting in a mandatory upgrade for all pilot clients and anything else that connects to the voice server, such as our standalone Receiver application) and will be releasing the full 64-bit Mac plugin.

The release date is set for June 10.

Edit: jun 17

Edited by Keith Smith
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...