Heavy banking on autopilot

arb65912

Gentlemen,

I need some help. My problem is a little bit related to what I recently posted " When speed is your friend..'

When I fly on autopilot for a while, plane gets into a heavy left  bank ( for the straight flight) and stays in that attitude.

The bank must be around 15 deg or more, it is very clearly visible on attitude indicator and from chase view.

When I disconnect autopilot, as expected, plane banks abruptly to the right, no matter how much trim I use for ailreon, I am not able to trim the plane for straight and level flight.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

Cheers, AJ 

This was mainly due to rookie airline pilots not knowing how to handle a fast turboprop

That's me .. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I just did a little bit more of testing and came into one conclusion, if the plane stays too long in icing conditions, with all available deicing and anti icing systems on, it will end up in crash due to not being able to maintain speed...

Cooley, would you mind to elaborate a bit on the subject? ( icing)

Thank you.

Cheers, AJ 

AJ,

Since I haven't bought the J32 yet, my response will based on RW aircraft experience.

All the other posts about icing and XP rendering of icing are accurate and on point.  My goal is to figure out how to get the 10.20b 32bit loaded since I'm already running the 64bit version.  Once I get that figured out I will buy the aircraft to start learning how the J32 is modeled.

That being said, here are some general icing and J32 experiences:

Icing conditions are defined:

• Any form of visible moisture and,
  • IOAT (in flight/on ground) is less than +10 degrees C

General operating procedures when in icing conditions (in flight/ on ground) are to turn on propeller and engine/elevator ice protection, including continuous ignition.

An important limitation is for Airframe de-icing must be OFF during takeoff and below 200 ft on approach to landing.  This is more for maximizing engine performance during critical phases of flight.

As with all aircraft the J32 comes with standard icing condition warnings.  But, the J32 is prone to ice build up on top of the wing behind the boots.  This does dramatically degrade performance and will easily see airspeed drop by 10+ knots.

We typically turned the autopilot off when flying in icing conditions because we had tactical sense of how the aircraft was performing vs. the autopilot trying to overcompensate. 

We also encountered ice bridging when de-ice set to AUTO cycle where the ice would form a layer between the expanded boot and the ice.  This would make it hard to shed ice from the leading edges.  We routinely had to switch to manual mode and wait longer than 6 seconds between cycles to ensure enough ice was accumulated before trying to shed it.

We typically experienced a significant hit in performance anytime we stayed in icing for long periods of time.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Cooley

Hi Cooley,

Thank you very much for your input, invaluable information for me.

We already know the X-Plane limitations as far as icing and flying JS32 for a longer time in icing conditions ends up in crash no matter what I do because of engine decreased performance, I was simply watching  torque dropping slowly until the plane stalled.

In other words, no flying JS32 in icing conditions for more than maybe 10 minutes, at least for now, maybe in the future Javier can touch some things up if X-Plane model allows it.

As far as banking flying on autopilot .... the problem is solved.

Since my tests were made in icing conditions I had the throttle set to the max, so obviously with that huge torque coming from both engines, in order to stay on track, all left aileron trim was used.

Last night I was flying in normal conditions and I was engaging and disengaging autopilot many times, all was great.

I can tell that constant trimming is required every time the power settings change but that makes it more challenging and I do not mind it, especially after you said that JS32 is a handful in real life for a rookie pilots.

Thank you very much for the input.

I will make a new post called "JS32 Real life pilots input" and ask moderators to make it sticky.

I think that it would be great to have all this information from real life JS32 pilots in one place so we can refer to it as needed.

Cheers, AJ 

• 2 years later...

I am experiencing the exact same problem. As soon as the plane takes off it abruptely banks right. this is with or without autopilot on and with or without icing conditions. I have to use heavy trim to compensate for this.

any solution ?

thank you

Patrick Bureau

Javier, thank you very much for ALL your replies, they were almost immediate. :)

I will do more testing and I will post the results here.

I want to make sure it repeats before I ask.

Cheers, AJ