Gulfstream G550

Ryan M.

• 7 years later...

It's many years later since this G-550 Gulfstream string appeared.  Now X-Plane.org is offering a G-650 for such a super low price of $14.00 that I'm wondering about what's included. Site photos show dual FMC's or at least CDU's, but there's nothing that assures they're programmable.  Features include: "FMS radio with pop up panel"  If radios are modeled to the exclusion of a nav system/autopilot/FD, i.e., no CDU's, the purchase nets a big, sleek, fast airplane good for VFR CAVOK and not much else. Anyone familiar with this model?

• 1 year later...

I just bought the G550 model from the X-Plane.org store.  I’m retired now, but still hold type ratings in the Gulfstream GV Series, which includes the classic GV, G350, G450 & G550.  I also hold a type rating in the G650 as well as several other aircraft.  When I first saw it in the store, I got really excited.  After purchasing it, I’ve become sorry I did.  It flies well enough, but I’m finding a large number of avionics issues, especially with the display units, flight guidance system, CAS system, auto throttles and autopilot, as well as missing and/or improperly labeled/displayed and non-functioning system switches on the overhead panel.  I plan to take my time to document all the issues, then I’ll send them to the company that produced this model.