Caution! Engines are about to fail. Reduce power immediately.

Hi,

I'm new to the DC3 so the answer to my problem may very well be buried somewhere in the manual. I'm trying out the DC3 at El Alto airport in La Paz to test the limits of this old lady. Three times after take-off, I've got a red warning message on the bottom of the screen which says something to the effect that the engines are about to fail and that I needed to reduce power immediately. I was flying well within limits and neither exceeded the CHT nor the oil temperature. Any idea why this is happening?

Many thanks.

Enzio

It's possible to blow an engine even if the oil and engine temps are within limits. An overly high Manifold Pressure and/or Engine RPM that is sustained for too long can cause engine damage (Try revving your cars engine to an RPM in the red zone and watch how quickly the engine dies while all temps stay within normal limits)

Make sure your Manifold Pressure is below the red zone.

It's possible to blow an engine even if the oil and engine temps are within limits. An overly high Manifold Pressure and/or Engine RPM that is sustained for too long can cause engine damage (Try revving your cars engine to an RPM in the red zone and watch how quickly the engine dies while all temps stay within normal limits)

Make sure your Manifold Pressure is below the red zone.

Goran: thank you for your quick reply. At 13300 ft airport elevation a plane eats up the runway pretty fast and when all your concentration is on the airspeed indicator I may have neglected engine parameters for a second. I'll try to reproduce the situation and I'll upload a screenshot next time this happens.

Regards,

Enzio

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Yesterday I was trying to overfly the Austrian Alps and I was not able to even climb to more than FL90 without frying the engines.

Plane weight was around 25.300 lbs, QNH 1013 and 15°C at 0 MSL.

Is it normal or I did some error? Like improper mixture settings?

Hi, guys!

I used the search function but I cannot seem to find what I'm looking for but I got question for you, how long does it take for the engines to be damaged if running at full throttle, even at high altitudes the engines will be damaged when running at full throttle? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Assume they will be damaged within seconds.  The engines should NEVER be at a setting where it flashes the warning up.  That's telling you that engine failure is imminent and you must reduce power immediately.  This varies with environmental conditions.