X plane Hardware (Joysticks)

jzeitlin

Hey guys,

A few years ago I purchased a Cyborg X flight stick and was unable to get it to work with x-plane so I returned it and gave up on finding a mac joystick. I recently just got a mac book pro and want a joystick again. Can anyone here recommend a good joystick for mac? Do all Joysticks work on mac?

Thanks,

Jared

I have found that most joysticks work on mac. What doesn't work though is the software that enables you to configure a few things, such as different modes on the Saitek Yoke.

The joystick that everyone seems to have is the X52. From what I have heard it is reliable and it comes with sufficient buttons for everything.

I'd avoid the X-52: mine has been problematic from the time I bought it, and the replacement unit Saitek sent has the same problems: dirty input from the rotary switches. I'm going to replace it with CH stuff when I can.

The X-52 Pro may be built better, but check with people who own it first.

I follow this discussion with great interest. Since running on OS X, more sticks lack important features.

I found that the Logitech Flight System 940 looks nice, too. Stick/throttle/pedals for an affordable price. But not for Mac users (trim wheels and the hat to not work).

Been reading good things about the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog (stick/throttle combo), but is darn expensive.

• 1 month later...

Do yourself a favor and get CH gear. I have a full set of their products and have had no problems from them after owning them for more than a year. Great quality. All features work on all OSes.

-NR

-NR, I would value your advice on which of the three CH joysticks you would recommend as I have not even installed X-Plane yet and don't want to make an expensive mistake!

The three sticks I have found are:

CH Flight Stick Pro (Mac)

CH Combat Stick (Mac)

CH Fighter Stick (Mac)

You could, if you really like custom thingies on joysticks, and don't mind voiding warranties or solder, combine a joystick with a Teensy board. Use the existing joystick electronics for basic buttons and axis assignments through your OS, and use the Teensy to drive other switches, LEDs, displays etc.

I'm planning to have a go at building my own flight controls. I don't want much more than what you get on a real control column: autopilot disconnect, PTT, and perhaps electric trim switches and/or a hat. Probably loosely styled on the De Havilland Comet control column, which is hinged just behind and to the left of your left ankle, then leans across your lap to put a yoke in front of you. A nice long travel between the pitch stops, and provision to have a motorised centering spring, are priorities. I'm tired of desk-mounted spring-loaded tiny joysticks!

• 2 weeks later...

-NR, I would value your advice on which of the three CH joysticks you would recommend as I have not even installed X-Plane yet and don't want to make an expensive mistake!

The three sticks I have found are:

CH Flight Stick Pro (Mac)

CH Combat Stick (Mac)

CH Fighter Stick (Mac)

They all work, just different prices and features.

-NR