Freeware 787-8 project

Michael_Chang

Yeah, I agree with Derek as well. The normal maps look incredible! The orange tint to the windows just seems off to me. When I saw the 787 at Oshkosh the windows appeared much darker like in this picture 4xjr3uT.jpg

indeed one of the most ANNOYING things about the 787 is that the windshield literally changes color... I probably will alternate between black and iridescent, but I chose orange this time around because it's more dramatic XD

130113_leaky_boeing_787_660.jpg1626254.jpgUnited-Boeing-787-Dreamliner-Aircraft.jp

Yeah, I agree with Derek as well. The normal maps look incredible! The orange tint to the windows just seems off to me. When I saw the 787 at Oshkosh the windows appeared much darker like in this picture 

Maybe you can differ the windshield with different liveries?

Hey! The plane can now alternate between black and orange using the preferences tab in the electronic flight bag!

787_20.png787_21.png

• Upvote 5

Micheal, this is the best implementation of normal maps I have seen, and the first time that the balance between sharpness and scale of the riveting is convincing (IMHO). My only concern would be that the specularity of the rivets still makes them look dome headed (or dimpled) rather than flush. But this is only a minor thing in a project that's progressing in leaps and bounds. Can I ask how many textures you are using for the fuselage?

• Upvote 1

Micheal, this is the best implementation of normal maps I have seen, and the first time that the balance between sharpness and scale of the riveting is convincing (IMHO). My only concern would be that the specularity of the rivets still makes them look dome headed (or dimpled) rather than flush. But this is only a minor thing in a project that's progressing in leaps and bounds. Can I ask how many textures you are using for the fuselage?

the fuselage is mapped on to one large 4096 texture, the normal maps themselves are only 1x1 pixel in size. X-plane interprets this 1x1 dot as a circle and makes a nice little dimple appear. I know they look a little deep, i'm trying to adjust them to make that better.

• Upvote 1

the fuselage is mapped on to one large 4096 texture, the normal maps themselves are only 1x1 pixel in size. X-plane interprets this 1x1 dot as a circle and makes a nice little dimple appear. I know they look a little deep, i'm trying to adjust them to make that better.

So, does this mean a separate mapping "position" for each rivet, individually? I'm not sure I understand...

looks fabulous!!!!!! excitement!!!! out of curiosity, will you be sticking strictly to real life liveries? as in one that are already out and flying? another is is there a plan for making other livers that companies have purchased the plane but have not been delivered? just wanted to because one of my fav airlines ordered the -900 and plane won't be delivered for some time.

looks fabulous!!!!!! excitement!!!! out of curiosity, will you be sticking strictly to real life liveries? as in one that are already out and flying? another is is there a plan for making other livers that companies have purchased the plane but have not been delivered? just wanted to because one of my fav airlines ordered the -900 and plane won't be delivered for some time.

Since the 787 is going to be released as a one paint per plane style thing, yes, we will only make real liveries as they are unveiled (because we need to take into account the location of window plugs, new cabin configs etc... when we release each airline's 787. We'll also release a blank jet for the -8 and the -9, though we'd encourage painters NOT to paint planes that have been unveiled, because chances we're already working on it