Freeware 787-8 project

Michael_Chang

Hey, take your time! I'm just impressed that you are handling school, and this project and everything else you do and are still making such a high quality product! I find it amazing that you take the time to make sure everything is accurate even for a freeware plane!

Keep doing what you're doing!

This is very impressive. Looks so good dont think my hardware will handle it. Do you think a 512mb nvidia geforce card with 4gb ram will handle it with nice fps?

my entire project is built on a macbook pro late 2012 model with intel HD 4000 integrated graphics, 8 GB RAM and a dual core i7 processor, generally, it should be usable by a lot of PCs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, we're pulling support for V9, it's become too tedious to write plugin code for things that are already simulated without coding for V10, as well, V9 has started running very slowly for me and is just too much of a hassle to work with, all 787 work will now be V10 exclusive.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Dear Mr. Chang,

I am immensely disappointed in you and the entire team behind this project. It has been over two years I have been following this program and I always very happy that every single time that a member asked if this plane would work in v9.70 you would answer that yes it would work in v9.70 even if it was the last program that you and your team would make for v9.70. This made me think that you and your entire team where thinking about people like me who simply can not purchase a computer that can run v10. I am not the only member of the XP community that did not change to v10 for one reason or another, I always thought that you where kind and thinking towards us. Seems like I was wrong, you are just a plane maker like so many out there. I have question for you Mr. Chang, its been well over 2 years you have worked on the B787, so what will a few months more or less make as a difference?

Best regards,

U2 Fan

• Downvote 6

Dear Mr. Chang,

I am immensely disappointed in you and the entire team behind this project. It has been over two years I have been following this program and I always very happy that every single time that a member asked if this plane would work in v9.70 you would answer that yes it would work in v9.70 even if it was the last program that you and your team would make for v9.70. This made me think that you and your entire team where thinking about people like me who simply can not purchase a computer that can run v10. I am not the only member of the XP community that did not change to v10 for one reason or another, I always thought that you where kind and thinking towards us. Seems like I was wrong, you are just a plane maker like so many out there. I have question for you Mr. Chang, its been well over 2 years you have worked on the B787, so what will a few months more or less make as a difference?

Best regards,

U2 Fan

Believe me, it wasn't an easy decision, however, the decision was made due to the nature of writing code for the plane. My abilities in computer programming only extend so far, and I'm afraid I can't write a lot of the code for V9 that is automatically simulated in V10. At this point, it just feels like a lot of backwards progress, because every time a break through in V10 happens, I have to go back to the V9 model and write a new line of non-functional code and waste hours trying to line it up properly. I'm truly sorry that the plane has become out of your reach, however V9 designing is just too difficult from a dev's standpoint when compared to V10. I'm really sorry, but as you said, this project's been going on for 2 years (wow) and I need to finish it sometime, and being V10 exclusive is the best for the community. I'm truly sorry.

~Michael Chang~

• Upvote 2

I'm really sorry, but as you said, this project's been going on for 2 years (wow) and I need to finish it sometime, and being V10 exclusive is the best for the community.

Dear Mr Chang,

That is BS, it is not the best option for the entire XP community, its just better for you and a few others.

Best regards,

U2 Fan

• Downvote 7

Dear Mr Chang,

That is BS, it is not the best option for the entire XP community, its just better for you and a few others.

Best regards,

U2 Fan

I beg to differ. When we continue to develop for X-Plane 9, the ever shrinking percentage of the community that stays with X-Plane 9 will continue to stay with X-Plane 9 because we're enabling them to. By enabling them to continue to stay with X-Plane 9, we're actually holding back the progression of X-Plane 10 by having to devote time to making X-Plane 9 compatible aircraft. The smartest developers, such as Flight factor, Jar Design, and SSG no longer develop for X-Plane 9 because they're devoting their time to developing for X-Plane 10 and look at what's happened; we now have the best 757-200 in the flight simulation world. As time goes on, computer technology advances further and further and higher power systems become readily available for everyday people like you and me. For example; I have a quad core computer than gets AMAZING framerates in X-Plane 10 and I only had to spend $600 on it. That was 2 years ago. The price for that same computer is now $400 from the same site I purchased mine from. I'm sorry, but the flight sim world won't wait for you to get a better computer and the sooner you realize that, the better. 

P.S. 

I spoke all of this in a posh British accent while typing it so I could feel smart. :P

Edited by Darius Alexander
  • Upvote 1

Dear Mr Chang,

Best regards,

U2 Fan

It is for the majority of the community, many respectable developers that undoubtedly care about the X-Pilot community and the broader X-Plane community have gone down this road, that is to exclusively develop for XP10.

It is understandable that you are frustrated with this decision, as it doesn't include you and a minority of users that unfortunately for several reasons cannot upgrade to a newer system to be able to run the new sim. However, with a new sim come new capabilities and new potential, and from a developers standpoint it is very reasonable to want to create the best possible with the tools that you have, and that cannot be achieved with XP9, and when you take several years building a plane, or even a few months it should be on something that you enjoy. Additionally this doesn't only benefit the developer, but also the broader community as it reaches new levels of simulation and also serves as an advocate for the potential of the sim, bringing new developers and new very welcome users. 

If I blame the devs here for something is that they changed their course midway, they should have realised that from the beginning. However, frustration and bitterness aside I believe you can understand that backwards compatibility can hurt and cripple a platform if continued for too long, and without good reason. 

Edited by ktomais

I'm sorry U2 Fan for your loss, but It's simply no longer logistically feasible, if I could develop for both, I would, but i have a life outside of XP and this project is starting to take up too much time, it's gotta finish eventually...

anyways, I got all the electrical systems coded in place and now the plane can start itself in full 3d cockpit mode :D

787_4.pngWIPFSXP4.png

• Upvote 5

I'm sorry U2 Fan for your loss, but It's simply no longer logistically feasible, if I could develop for both, I would, but i have a life outside of XP and this project is starting to take up too much time, it's gotta finish eventually...

anyways, I got all the electrical systems coded in place and now the plane can start itself in full 3d cockpit mode :D

787_4.pngWIPFSXP4.png

Honestly, I'd take it as is. 

I initially support V9 for my work too, but when i released LJPZ V2 (Both for v9 and v10), i found out that only 5% of total downloads was for the v9 version, so yes it is not feasible because practically over 90% of us have converted to the new v10. So it is logical that developers now turned to develop exclusively for v10, developing for 5% of the community isn't worth it for us developers, in the future I am sure you will eventually get a new computer that is able to run v10.