My first project 787

Vezirgiannis

I used blender 2.4 the name of the lever need to be for examp. Planename_cockpit? And where i putting this file? What folder. And something last, to work properly needs to be textured? Thanks.

planename_cockpit.obj is placed in the aircraft folder, NOT in the objects folder, also, manipulators are hard to program, it's easier to use invisible buttons to program the 3d cockpit, good luck! and feel free to contact me if you need help!

I can't upload images right now, but i'll try to give you a run-down

Step 1: create a polygon (3d squares or rectangles) that covers the button you want.

Step 2: animate your button/lever/handle, but DO NOT check the manipulator option.

Step 3: add a button in your 3d cockpit, but make it an invisible one, so edit the button texture to make it invisible at all times

Step 3a: mark the location of that button on the panel, then, map the rectangle so that it is fully within that button.

The rectangle should now function as a button, but it will be invisible! therefore, when you click it, it will look like you're clicking the handle/button/switch, but in reality, you're only clicking the invisible square while the handle/button/switch rotates. This feature doesn't allow drag options, however it is my prefered way of animating the cockpit (the drag manipulators are so damn annoying) i'll try to upload a photo of it when I get a new laptop (mine was stolen) but for now, a good example would be Jrollon's CRJ-200, there's an object set called "Manipuladores" (I think) and all that set is is a bunch of squares, set over the buttons that he wished to animate. Go check it out!

Alright... let's see...

Okay, in plane maker, there's the option for adding a gear lever to the panel. that gear lever has two or three images (name of the file)_1,_2 etc. one that is the BASE IMAGE, and others that show the gear handle in various positions of transition. Anyways, what needs to be done, is that all the gear handle image files need to be painted transparent in photoshop, and THEN added to the 3d panel, which should be a transparent 2048X2048 file IN PLANEMAKER. you NEED to mark down the dimensions of the BASE gear handle image, and mark a square of those dimensions onto the panel.png, as a temporary guide for adding buttons. save that panel.png.

now, in blender, add that rectangle prism over the gear handle, make sure it covers most of it. now map the rectangle directly over the panel.png in the location that you placed the gear handle button in plane maker (this area is the same area you marked earlier with a "square of those dimensions") now, erase that square, so that the area in panel.png is once again transparent. now, save panel.png, and export the new rectangle. if all goes as planned, the rectangle (which should be saved as the cockpit.obj) will now function as a button, and if the gear handle is animated correctly, clicking the invisible square will allow the handle to move.

That's the basics, now on to the harder stuff.

The image file for the landing gear should be located inside the aircraft file, if not, go to xplane10/9>resources>bitmaps>cockpit and copy the cockpit folder into your aircraft folder. In your aircraft folder, inside (aircraft)>cockpit>buttons, that is where you'll find the file now. The BASE IMAGE can be distorted to any size you want, as long as the dimensions are also distorted proportionally for the other images. that way, space can be saved.

I'M REALLY SORRY IF THIS DOESN'T HELP, BUT BEING WITHOUT A LAPTOP WITH BLENDER MAKES IT REALLY HARD :( AGAIN, TRY USING THE CRJ, IT HAS A PRETTY GOOD EXAMPLE (FROM WHAT I REMEMBER). XPP's a330/340 also has a good example. There are invisible boxes over each of the doors, so that in 3d cockpit mode, clicking the doors will cause it to open.

Good luck Vez, i'm heading to bed now!

Edited by Michael_Chang

• 5 months later...