IL-96-400 by Ramzzess

Orcair

*****XPlanenation review of Ramzzess' IL-96*****

One of the least reviewed aircraft in X-Plane, is in my opinion the Il-96 by Ramzzess. Available for X-Plane 9 this whale of an aircraft is a great aircraft and a total beast to fly. This review has been on xplanenation.com for some time and I believe it is time to publish this review to everyone.

The Il-96-400 is a modern variant of the IL-96 aircraft with Russian engines and avionics. Although a modern aircraft, it has had trouble with orders with only 29 96s so far built. However, in X-Plane we can have as many as we want! This aircraft is available at http://store01.prost...e/Detail?no=225, and at only $19.95 USD is a great price! So lets go explore the IL-96!

The cockpit is very well done. The Il-96 has 6 Main Screens as seen to the side. Each screen is meticulously done and is very clear at “high” settings. Starting the aircraft from a “dark position” is readily available for even someone with limited skills in X-Plane procedrues. The cockpit has extensive use of “manipulators", which allow for doors and windows to open as well as adjusting the landing lights brightness. Here are a few examples of what manipulators can do with a 3-D cockpit. Sun screen, instrument brightness, and flight attendant seats in the cabin. The 3-D cockpit is well modelled done and it must be noted that the aircraft has no 2-D cockpit, which can be a turn off for some buyers. However most well crafted payware planes come with a 3-D cockpit these days, thus without they cannot expect to get the same amount of purchases.

The Cabin is also very well crafted. All three cabins are well modeled and for obvious reasons, I find first class to be the best to relax over a 6-9 hour flight! I always find it interesting to view the interiors of late era Soviet designed aircraft with beams throughout the cabin and IFE! The one drawback I find with the interior is the map, based upon the Airline Manager Facebook Simulation. It is quite blurry but it does seem to be a good idea to have a companies' map shown. The Il-96 also features a cargo variant. Featuring a main cargo door it is quite low on cargo and is interesting to navigate through the nooks and crannies.

The last thing I will talk about is the sound. There are realistic X-passenger sounds (It is quite fun to smash the Il into the runway) however as I run it on a mac the engine sounds do not stop when accessing menus like weather, weight etc. I believe this is a mac only issue however. And my gosh the engines screech! Don't say I didn't worn you about the PS-90s....

So is it worth the 19.95 price tag? If you are a Russian aviation aficionado than of course! If you like any of Ramzzess work then yes! The one drawback is that it does not work with X-Plane 10 yet. I have updated the airfoils but the plugin prevents the PFDs from being clear. So if you fly X-Plane 9 this commercial beast is for you!

-Orcair

Xplanenation.com Owner

1910336.png

More photos available at the review on www.xplanenation.com: http://www.xplanenat...-il-96-400.html

• 5 months later...

I'd like to reply and rebut that review.

Perhaps one of the most poorly modeled aircraft of X-Plane, I got to try this one out on a friend's computer. The exterior model doesn't matter much in the way of simulation, but it is extremely low quality. the cockpit is well built but the textures make it look like the "Virtual Cockpit" view from FS95 (yes, I have used FS95, it's what I fell in love with flight simulation because of). As I have never flown a real Il96, I can't say "It's unrealistic." Lets just say I can only assume that a quad-engine wide bodied jetliner wouldn't feel like a Cessna 150 (the only plane I've ever flown in real life) but apparently the Il96 does. Impressive for the Russians if it is so, I'd love to try my hand at it in real life.

Yet again a Ramzzess or whatever he calls himself falls way below even freeware quality, much like his 787.

Well this was awhile ago as I published the review in late 2011 (lazy and added it here later).

A lot has changed in X-Plane payware since I originally reviewed it meaning the review needs an update then....

Stay tuned..

The exterior in my opinion is not "ghastly". It might not be the best anymore but when it was released in 2011 it was one, if not the best payware aircraft available. An update would be nice however I am not holding my breath.,,

As well I did not find it to fly like a Cessna 150. When it was loaded at least 80% of MTOW it was like a brick...

Edited by Orcair

it is wrong to compare the 1l-96 with the jets you mentioned. because it is different, the 747-8 from SSG is not the best i can say, the engine textures are pretty poorly done. but i believe they will do better next time, and thats proven in the E-170 with systems. the AN-148 is not comparable with the 1l-96 due to it's size, but IMHO it is better then the 1l-96 in terms of quality, the x737 is great, but still the model has WAY to much polygons when you only need approximately 64 sides for the fuselage.

comparing the il-96 to XPP's a330/a340 is more appropriate, XPP exterior is better then the il-96 IMHO, but the systems and eyecandy hacks from the il-96 still beats the XPP aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depends on if you like systems ;)

Alright, I bought it. Probably the best 20 dollars I have spent in a long time. Saitek panels do work fine with the plane. You do have to disable the engine start button on one of the panels through to get the bleed air system to work. No big deal. Just thought I would write this if someone else with the panels was wondering if the panels work with the plane.   

• 8 months later...