Boeing 747-200

Goran_M

The Engineers panel will definitely be a 2D pop up panel.  1 person will easily be able to control engineer duties with a 2D pop up engineers panel once the person grows accustomed to the duties involved.    Most engineer duties are performed on the ground during start up and after landing.  The engineer also controls engine thrust on take off, climb and descent by placing his hand on the throttle (in the real aircraft) but I might be able to include an "autothrust" system which replaces the engineer.  Other than that, the engineer mostly monitors the aircraft systems to make sure the aircraft flies smoothly and to address failures should they occur.

There MIGHT be other 2D pop up panels as well, (INS, radio stack and Overhead) but that remains to be decided during testing.

It is, undoubtedly, a complex aircraft, but once you learn how to fly it, it is a real fun aircraft to conquer.

Goran

And I thought that building the T7 overhead was bad. Definitely something to be said for 30 years of streamlining.

Fab job :)

Just out of curiosity, what kind of poly counts are you getting in the 3d cockpit so far?

I'm starting to notice a fps slowdown with my unfinished T7 cockpit. I'm sitting around 111000 polys in Blender...so close to double that for obj triangulation in the sim. Have lots of work yet to do so I may need to cut here and there.

Cheers

Alex

And I thought that building the T7 overhead was bad. Definitely something to be said for 30 years of streamlining.

Fab job :)

Just out of curiosity, what kind of poly counts are you getting in the 3d cockpit so far?

I'm starting to notice a fps slowdown with my unfinished T7 cockpit. I'm sitting around 111000 polys being rendered in the sim. Have lots of work yet to do so I may need to cut here and there.

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for your comments, Alex.  

So far, Engineers Panel (1 more sub panel to make it complete) and Overhead panel have about 30 000 polys (15 000 each).  I'm shooting for 15 000 polys for each panel of the cockpit (Engineer, Overhead, Captains and First Officers Panel combined, Center Console).  I'm hoping to peak at around 300 0000-350 000 polys for the entire aircraft.  

So far, I'm at 240 000 polys for the whole plane.

So nice!  

I can't wait to see these panels lit up at night.

You planning on doing a old school Cathay livery?  If so first flight for me will be Manila (RPLL) to HongKong (VHHH Kai-tak).

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cathay-Pacific-Airways/Boeing-747-267B/1168605/&sid=c25bc9ddd55b3550de1c87f236bd3374

The liveries I have in mind are (in old colors):

Qantas

Cathay

United

Atlas

British Airways

NorthWest

and KLM

There may be more but these are on my "definite" list.

Thanks for your comments, Alex.  

So far, Engineers Panel (1 more sub panel to make it complete) and Overhead panel have about 30 000 polys (15 000 each).  I'm shooting for 15 000 polys for each panel of the cockpit (Engineer, Overhead, Captains and First Officers Panel combined, Center Console).  I'm hoping to peak at around 300 0000-350 000 polys for the entire aircraft.  

So far, I'm at 240 000 polys for the whole plane.

If you have to cull polygons can you please not do it from the Captains panel or glareshield?  

This is where the pilots view is most of the time and to be seeing "unsmooth" corners is really glaring!

CLS did a great classic 747 for FSX but IMHO they wrecked the immersion somewhat by making the artifical horizon and glareshield corners not as smooth as they could have been.

Please if you have to, borrow some polys from the engineers panel or fuse panel rather than pilots panel/glareshield.

I'm begging you!  :)

I miss the Air Canada 747s. Was about 4 and a half when I flew trans-atlantic to London Heathrow from Toronto on one of the 747's.

IMO, this plane wouldn't be the same without an Air Canada livery.  :D

Looking stunning too. I can't imagine the work load the rest of those panels will put on you.

:) - Jason

awwwww, I guess I can get Theo to throw in an Air Canada.

Re: the work involved...I have had more than 1 person tell me I was in over my head with this aircraft.  ME included.  I have to say, it's not an easy one to make. But the workload is what I expected.

It's one of those things where I just need to be patient and take 1 step at a time until I'm finished.

1 thing is for certain.  I will finish it earlier than I anticipated.

Goran

I'm wearing out my scroll wheel on my mouse!  I managed to trim a little of the poly count.  Got rid of 30 000 polys, mostly from the landing gear and some from the fuselage.

More renders...

Engineers panel

yafaray20091218234337.th.png

Beginnings of the Captains Panel

yafaray20091220041318.th.png

I also got in touch with a retired Flight Engineer (he flew on the -100 and -200) and he'll be providing some very useful information for me should I need it.