Boeing 747-200

Goran_M

I thought I wouldn't beat around the bush with the title and just name it for what it is.

I've started making the 747-200.  Now I'm truly in the deep end.  This is a huge undertaking by me and my little boutique of a team and often I think I'm in over my head.  And I'm not the only one.  

Why the 747-200?

I have spent 8 years learning about it.  In FS9 AND the real thing.  The -200 has a lot of memories for me and I have a lot of info on it (more than I need, actually).  I worked with a developer who made a payware version for FS9 and I have repeatedly tried to convince him to make one for X Plane.  All to no avail.  So I decided to tackle this project.  

This project IN NO WAY hampers development of the Saab 340B.  I will most likely develop the 340B as an upgrade to the 340A so work on that will be very fast.  

But this beast?  This will be a labor of love.  

I have no idea when this will be ready.  

I am in talks with a programmer from the MSFS world who is considerring making the INS for me.  

Nose Gear

grab510.th.jpg

The detail will be extensive.  Theo's worst nightmare when it comes to texturing.

grab509.th.jpg

The N1 fans will have proper rotation.  Not a blur.  It's tricky but I know how it can be done.

grab500.th.jpg

grab508.th.jpg

Almost imagine it flying overhead.

grab507.th.jpg

Looks big, even from the front.   :-\

grab506.th.jpg

Detailed Main Gear

grab505.th.jpg

grab504.th.jpg

grab503.th.jpg

grab502.th.jpg

Again, this will be a big one and I'm going to go all out with what's available to me.  

So far, what you can see above, has taken me about 4-5 days to model.

Exterior is the easy part.  The panels...let's just say my eyes still haven't recovered from seeing the panels.

As always, comments and feedback are always welcome.

Forgot to mention.  The wingbox is a nightmare.  That'll come later.

Goran

You're the man for this job, Goran. Looking good already. Winglflex on this thing will make me buy it on the spot... oh the aura of the classic 747. Watching those old Airport 77 Movies, those classics really had such an awe factor... the entire public could recognize one, it's capabilities captured the amazement of all. Good luck Goran, this one will be very, very welcome.

Will there be a 3D interior?

Good luck.

Maxime

It will have a full 3D cockpit but there will most likely NOT be a virtual cabin.  If I do a cabin, it will be limited to the upper deck only.  I don't see the reason to make an entire 3d cabin.  Not to mention it will obliterate the poly count.

There will be 2D pop up panels of the Flight Engineers panel to make life easier.

Goran

You're the man for this job, Goran. Looking good already. Winglflex on this thing will make me buy it on the spot... oh the aura of the classic 747. Watching those old Airport 77 Movies, those classics really had such an awe factor... the entire public could recognize one, it's capabilities captured the amazement of all. Good luck Goran, this one will be very, very welcome.

Thanks Nils.

I'll need all the luck I can get.  I can see myself re doing many things on this bird.

Goran

I am in talks with a programmer from the MSFS world who is considerring making the INS for me.  

Please consider releasing a "basic" version without the INS or detailed systems.  That way we can purchase your product sooner and upgrade to the "advanced" version when it becomes available.

747-200 for XP, bring it on!

Will there be a 3D interior?

Good luck.

Maxime

It will have a full 3D cockpit but there will most likely NOT be a virtual cabin.  If I do a cabin, it will be limited to the upper deck only.  I don't see the reason to make an entire 3d cabin.  Not to mention it will obliterate the poly count.

There will be 2D pop up panels of the Flight Engineers panel to make life easier.

Goran

Yea that's a good idea just the upper deck is fine with me!!!

That is just like i wanted!!

Hope this bird flies soon:)

Maxime ;)

Please consider releasing a "basic" version without the INS or detailed systems.  That way we can purchase your product sooner and upgrade to the "advanced" version when it becomes available.

747-200 for XP, bring it on!

I have just had confirmation from a programmer who is willing to build the INS for me.  There will be no need to release a basic version without the INS because the INS will be ready before the actual aircraft is.

Goran

Stunning, Goran !!!  :o How is time calculated on your planet? I would've been pushing points for weeks to make this.

Thanks Ola.  I actually have a secret.  I can fast forward my watch to affect my immediate surroundings.  Unfortunately, making this plane has so far aged me about 2 years.

;)

Goran

Finally after 3 days, the landing gear APPEARS to be finished.  I'll go over it to make sure things are in the right place.  I still want to work on the front gear a little more.  

Anyway, as always, comments and feedback are always welcome.

Beautiful work! 

Please keep the pictures coming because it is fascinating to watch the 747-200 take shape!

With the exception of a few very tiny adjustments, antennas and the gear doors, the exterior is done with the modelling.

All control surfaces have been cut, including the triple slotted flaps (what a nightmare) and the wingbox (bigger nightmare).

yafaray20091208024832.th.png

I deleted the other 2 exterior renders that were here before because I didn't like them.  I'm still trying to get the hang of yafaray.

I'll put up 2 more renders of the exterior soon.

Just to point out, the seam that is visible running horizontally across the engine nacelle is a deliberate cut I made.  Thrust reversers.

;D

Onto the panel.

This might take a while.

Goran