Boeing 747-200

Goran_M

Ha, that' s funny, count me in if the $1 pc is an IBM xt to keep it authentic for the times! Your project sounds so nice and true to history, can't wait. Make sure you use nasty 1970s decore too!

I plan on adding a few retro, late 70's early 80's bits and pieces around the cockpit.  But I won't mention what they are.  I'll let you guys find those in future renders.

:)

Lol @ Zach! 

A lot of hours have been spent at the keyboard trying to get used to Blender and building these aircraft.  If people like the work I do, then all the late nights (Sometimes watching the sun come up through my bedroom window after a long night of modelling), junk food and often times, stressful situations (I've had Blender crash to desktop a few times after I was modelling for about 4 hours and none of the work was saved.) are all worth it.

Cheers

Goran

Spent the day yesterday tidying up the center console.  Cutting some polys and making sure it all lines up nicely. 

Also, I made a successful export to the simulator and have seen the aircraft sitting on the ground at Miami.  (No screenshots of that just yet.  It wasn't scaled properly)

So after all that, I spent the night making the Engine instruments panel and started on the Captains panel before I decided it was enough since the sun is well and truly up and I need some zzzz's.

Anyway, Engine instruments...

yafaray20100113053545.th.png

By the way, I am way ahead of where I was when my PC got the virus.  Back then, I hadn't done the center console so things are progressing fairly quickly.  Today I have to have an animating session with Reuben to get some manipulators done on the Saab.

This is purely mind blowing!!!

I have come to the conclusion that compairing this aircraft, or any other aircraft developed by the 3d artists on X-Pilot, with anything that is being or has been released for MSFS is like compairing apples to oranges!!

I am, and forever will be, a follower of X-Plane and the members,developers and 3d artisans on this site.

Slainte,

Andy Gorman

NZCH

Thanks for your comments, Andy.

The main difference between what we do and what developers for the MSFS series do, is we want to model actual objects that actually appear solid and somewhat true to life within the constraints of a "simming" engine.  That includes gauges that are not painted on to flat surfaces.  I am of course speaking of add on aircraft.  We also do scenery, but I'll leave the technical aspects of that to Eric, Tom or Cameron.

We (the developers) also try not to get involved with the X-Plane vs FS9/FSX debate.  The developers for FS9/FSX are somewhat convinced that X-Plane is a vastly inferior flight simulator and we really don't want to convince them otherwise.  Many have tried and failed.  

If you have any questions about anything x plane related, please feel free to ask us.  We're always more than willing to help people enjoy their simming experience with a little friendly ranting thrown in, just to balance it all out.

:)

Cheers,

Goran

Hi Goran,

cheers for the rather rapid response!!!!

I was an "almost" developer for MSFS, I was going to make Wellington Airport (NZWN), but never got around to it!!!

After many crashes with my older PC (after installing some updates for scenery in FS 2004 for NZ...), I decided to give X-Plane a shot. Ihave been a devout convert since purchasing X-Plane ver. 7. I have noticed the improvements over time and have tried to convince my MSFS friends that they should try XP out....not replace MSFS but run in unison. I was geetting further by talking to the wall !!!! I never really bought into the MSFS is better than XP as they really do things the same. I prefer XP because trying to take off at NZWN is a mission and a half in MSFS, but damn near impossible in XP with real weather turned on! I moslty fly the local airport, NZCH (since that is where I live....), and it can get tricky with a Nor-wester in a B733, but that is the challenge and that is what I enjoy most about XP.

I am curently trying to get NZCH airport created for XP using the WED tools....almost there, just have to work out how to get my Maya OBJ files to speak nicely (after converting to .3ds format), to OBJConverter. Not to mention trying my hand at creating a 3d pit for a friend of mine.....3d modelling is easy, sticking to a poly budget....thats another story :)

Anyway, sorry for the long ramble, I have been following the developments of the various aircraft since development and am keenly watching for any advancements and screenshots :D Keep the faith and dont burn the midnight oil too long, last thing we need is a group of great developers having burn out!

Slainte,

Andy Gorman

NZCH

Moving along nicely, although the Captains panel, in particular the HSI, was a little tricky and took a while.

I have a couple of people who are willing to experiment with color renders so I'll throw some color renders up soon.  But for now, here's the Main panel minus the FO's side and MCP.

yafaray20100114021331.th.png

yafaray20100114021639.th.png

yafaray20100114021740.th.png

yafaray20100114033315.th.png

yafaray20100114023007.th.png

Comments, feedback and/or criticisms are welcome.

Goran

Looks good. NOW WORK FASTER :):D

I'm REALLY sorry for working so slowly.  I left the computer desk for an hour because my wife ordered me to eat a decent meal instead of some of that instant stuff.  Won't happen again!

:D

I'm just thinking of this now.  What if I were to somehow break or severely injure my "birdie" middle finger?  Oh my god.  I use that for the scroll wheel and selecting verts/edges/faces in Blender.  Who would think 1 finger would be so important to ones livelihood!?

KNOCK WOOD!

Lots of nice gauges!  I really appreciate the readability on the gauges of the new BK-117, makes most of the other aircraft I virtually fly hurt my eyes.  Looking forward to the sharp 3d gauges on the 747-200!

Part of the pre planning for this aircraft was to make sure I was able to fit a highly detailed, high polygon main panel into an aircraft as large as the 747.  I'm fortunate I stumbled onto making the Hawker 4000 with a high polygon count before I trimmed it down.  I flew the Hawker 4000 in the simulator with a poly count of 600 000 and it flew quite well on my E6750.  Eventually, I managed to cut it down to about 240 000. 

The 747...let's just say the polygon count is climbing rapidly now because of the main panels, but I'm still "under budget" at about 310 000 polygons.

The bad news...It appears unlikely there will be any kind of virtual cabin.  Not even an upper deck.  It's still possible, but I am leaning towards the "no virtual cabin" side of things.  At best, POSSIBLY a crew rest area right behind the cockpit.

The reason for this is, with the poly count now above 300 000 and quite possibly being able to hit the 400 000 mark by the time the cockpit is finished, any "unnecessary" texture maps for any kind of cabin will slow the sim down.

But as I said, it's not a definite "no cabin".  Everything will be decided somewhere down the road.

Goran

What Javier is to lighting, you are to old farty steam gagues!

Now with due flattery aside, I have a question.

You will have to forgive my ignorance (it abounds in my family... on my wife's side BAZING!) as I came straight from FS9 into X-Plane, bypassing FSX (I own it, but not a japuter that will run it).  I missed out on the whole PMDG/CaptainSim/Level-D/Wilco hysteria. Have any of MSFS' 3rd party developers produced ANYTHING remotely approaching this level? Do any of them have 3d gagues? My experience with those devs does not go beyond screenshots and manic hype in forums.

I only ask because this thing is nuts! I would think you'd be getting more attention from fissers who once prayed at the altar of PMDG, "Save us, Goran, from our melevolent overlords!". At least that's the way it goes in my head...

Best!   

What Javier is to lighting, you are to old farty steam gagues!

Now with due flattery aside, I have a question.

You will have to forgive my ignorance (it abounds in my family... on my wife's side BAZING!) as I came straight from FS9 into X-Plane, bypassing FSX (I own it, but not a japuter that will run it).  I missed out on the whole PMDG/CaptainSim/Level-D/Wilco hysteria. Have any of MSFS' 3rd party developers produced ANYTHING remotely approaching this level? Do any of them have 3d gagues? My experience with those devs does not go beyond screenshots and manic hype in forums.

I only ask because this thing is nuts! I would think you'd be getting more attention from fissers who once prayed at the altar of PMDG, "Save us, Goran, from our melevolent overlords!". At least that's the way it goes in my head...

Best!   

Thanks for the comments Zach.

I have a lot of FS9 and FSX add ons and I can safely say that no other FS add on has as much detail in their 3d pits as we do at X-Aviation.  Personally, I want to make cockpits that actually LOOK like a real cockpit.  Not a bunch of textured leggo blocks.

Why do they build such low poly/low detail cockpits?  Who knows.  But they're more than welcome to continue doing it.

Goran

I have a lot of FS9 and FSX add ons and I can safely say that no other FS add on has as much detail in their 3d pits as we do at X-Aviation.  Personally, I want to make cockpits that actually LOOK like a real cockpit.  Not a bunch of textured leggo blocks.

Why do they build such low poly/low detail cockpits?  Who knows.  But they're more than welcome to continue doing it.

As I understand it the technical limitations of FSX/FS9 don't allow as many polygons as with XPlane.

Please spend your polygon budget in the cockpit and not a cabin/crew area.  Make the most beautiful cockpit you can (with smooth/round gauge fascias, and great night lighting) and you will have the FSX/FS9 crowd talking.  XP needs a super high quality 747, its the glamor plane of all time.  You can be the guy that convinces 1000's of FS9/FSXers to buy XP just to try your 747.

Ha, so my 3 and a bit line encouragement message was considered chin dragging by some. Oh well, I don't care, the more of us that get worked up over this forums' creations, the better, coz we need these creations for our enjoyment and to encourage other devs to progress. Goran, a pity re. no complete cabin, but if that maximizes fps and still means we have 123 or so  gauges (I think that's the correct spelling) to enjoy, that'll be great. Will the gauges all be bk-117 quality? If so, we won't need scenery! Oh, I saw your pmdg comment, they use poor quality interiors to keep their fps from

getting below 10 fps :) slideshow anyone?

Ha, so my 3 and a bit line encouragement message was considered chin dragging by some. Oh well, I don't care, the more of us that get worked up over this forums' creations, the better, coz we need these creations for our enjoyment and to encourage other devs to progress. Goran, a pity re. no complete cabin, but if that maximizes fps and still means we have 123 or so  gauges (I think that's the correct spelling) to enjoy, that'll be great. Will the gauges all be bk-117 quality? If so, we won't need scenery! Oh, I saw your pmdg comment, they use poor quality interiors to keep their fps from

getting below 10 fps :) slideshow anyone?

I don't think he meant you in particular, Simon.  I like to think he means all the people who admire the work I'm doing.  

In regards to the lack of complete cabin.  I would absolutely love to model a complete cabin.  First, Business and Coach.  It's pretty simple to make a few seats and just multiply them.  Logistically, it would be a nightmare. A Nightmare to texture and a nightmare with the polygon count.  

Just the inner walls would be roughly double the fuselage polygon count.

With regards to gauge quality...I don't really want to go so far as to compare the gauges to the BK-117.  I have seen screenshots of the BK panel and it looks brilliant.  I can tell a lot of work has gone into that helicopter.  I haven't been in contact with Nils in any way, but I do have a great deal of respect for him and I can see him going very far in add on development.  What I would LIKE to accomplish is the highest quality I can possibly achieve but at the same time, keep the polygon count to a respectable level.  

That said, I hope the overall quality of the 747 will make everyone enjoy their simming experience.  

Also...

Jason (aka Airbus) was messing around with some colors in the rendering and he came up with this.

55411237.th.jpg

Goran

As I understand it the technical limitations of FSX/FS9 don't allow as many polygons as with XPlane.

Please spend your polygon budget in the cockpit and not a cabin/crew area.  Make the most beautiful cockpit you can (with smooth/round gauge fascias, and great night lighting) and you will have the FSX/FS9 crowd talking.  XP needs a super high quality 747, its the glamor plane of all time.  You can be the guy that convinces 1000's of FS9/FSXers to buy XP just to try your 747.

FS9 has a poly limit of 65000 but FSX is unlimited. So the detail can be added in FSX.

Doing my best to make a pretty cockpit.  Adding detail and keeping to a poly budget is very similar to driving a ferrari...6 feet at a time.  I just want to open the throttle up all the way and go crazy but I can't.  

Goran

Do you think this plane will fly pretty well on the newest mac mini? Because I REALLY want this plane, and I hope I'll have good framerates. Also, you don't have to make a cabin, and if you do make a cabin, be sure to allow the option for us to buy one without a cabin. If you just make a really realistic cockpit, then it will still be the best flying experience there is. Besides, I'm not gonna look at the cabin during flight.

Thanks for elaborating on the cabin rendering Goran. They don't call it the jumbo for nothing! Wow, the panel is given extra dimension and looks great even with that quickndirty colour scheme from Jason. One idea for later I've just had- I think this version might have had an 'SP' version? If so, a few of us would kill to see that cute, stumpy bird in our skies! Just something to think of later, not now!