Boeing 747-200

Goran_M

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't want to mention anything about this until I felt it was the right time.

On Christmas Eve, I had a weekly Virus and Spyware scan scheduled for 11PM.  After a day filled with food and kids, I decided to sit down and work on the 747.  The virus scan finished and it detected 1 virus, 1 malware and 4 or 5 spyware.  My Anti Virus recommended a PC restart to complete the deleting of the offending virus and other nasties.  I restarted the PC after saving my work.  Upon re-booting, I would get to the Windows Logo and it would shut down and continue to restart.  It was stuck in a boot up loop.  

Instead of risking any further problems, I decided to re-install windows on my 2nd hard drive in the PC and retrieve all my stuff that way.  No go.  Windows needed to delete all partitions and then re install.  

So yes, I lost ALL my work, manuals, blend files, programs, documents, absolutely everything.

But, here's what was salvageable.  Reuben had the Saab blend file as he was working on animations.  Theo had the Bonanza and all the UV maps for the Saab.  The Hawker 4000 and the 747-200 were both gone.

A few days later, Jason (Airbus) and I started talking on Skype and I told him what happened.  He mentioned he had a very late version of the Hawker 4000.  The only things missing were the pilots seats. Ok, that was saved.

But my jewel, the 747, no one had it.  I felt so sick to my stomach.  I actually threw up when I realized there was no way for me to get it back.  I also came very close to quitting the 747 project.

I took a day off on Christmas day, reflected on everything, and decided to get started on it again from square 1.  Again, I built the exterior in a couple of days and got started on the flaps and control surfaces.  Then, I caught up with "Indi" and mentioned to him what had happened.  He asked me if I sent it to anyone in "dropbox" and I told him I did send a few versions to Theo (which he subsequently sent back after UV mapping some small sections).  He said the web based interface of Dropbox keeps images of deleted files.  (Something I had no idea about.)  I went to the web based dropbox and low and behold, I found the 747 deleted files.  However, A lot of the engineers panel was missing (it only had the electrical and pressurization panels) and the Main panel was not built yet.  The overhead panel was intact.   I was happy the gear was there because that was a real pain to model.

So for the last 2 weeks, I have been pumping the creative juices into the Saab manual and catching up on the 747-200 modelling.  

BACK UP YOUR WORK PEOPLE.  I took it for granted.  No more.

In saying this, I have an improved FE panel I have been working on.  I got my hands on a panel diagram manual used by British Airways and have been modelling against that so it is more accurate than before.

yafaray20100108034035.th.png

yafaray20100108033914.th.png

yafaray20100106035208.th.png

yafaray20100106035700.th.png

yafaray20100106035457.th.png

I'm really glad this post had somewhat of a happy ending. I was starting to feel a little like throwing up reading it! The speed at which you work is incredible. No one should have to start over, but you have the capability and talent to catch up and get back on your feet in short time. You are the envy of modelers everywhere (or at least this one!). Keep up the excellent work. You set out to achieve some lofty goals and you comsistantly deliver stunning renders. The saying goes: don't let your mouth write a check your ass can't cash...

Your ass is in the check cashing business!

I'm really glad this post had somewhat of a happy ending. I was starting to feel a little like throwing up reading it! The speed at which you work is incredible. No one should have to start over, but you have the capability and talent to catch up and get back on your feet in short time. You are the envy of modelers everywhere (or at least this one!). Keep up the excellent work. You set out to achieve some lofty goals and you comsistantly deliver stunning renders. The saying goes: don't let your mouth write a check your ass can't cash...

Your ass is in the check cashing business!

Thanks for your comments Zach! 

My wife disagrees with your last statement, however.  ;D

Kesomir, 20/20 hindsight.  BUT, I recently did install Ubuntu and was messing around with it.  I love it, btw.  All the blend files would not have been salvageable, as far as I know, because I think the windows volume has to be mounted in Ubuntu.  While I was playing around with it, I could not see any files or folders that were part of Windows installations and the projects I am working on are all part of the "My Documents" folder. 

It's all over and done with now, anyway.  I've had a couple of people on skype ask me, how can I be so calm about losing all my work and starting again.  Well, what's the alternative?  Getting mad?  Smashing my computer?  It was one of those classic cases where I got knocked down (HARD), getting up, dusting myself off, and starting it again.  And keeping a clear head about it.  I did, however, curse virus makers all over the world for a few hours.

Cheers guys,

Goran

Tough way to learn a valuable lesson.

Goran

We all learn the hard way :)

At least you're pragmatic about it and won't make that mistake again.

Glad you're not giving up on the 747, how long do you reckon until you're back to where you were progress wise?

The FE panel is about 95% finished.  Unfortunately, I have to start the main Captains panel from scratch.  Overhead is done but I want to go over it and make sure it's all positioned properly.  To me, it somehow looks incorrect.

The crash didn't really put me behind because programming won't start until the end of the month and I'll get to where I was within the next week.

Goran

I was going to start on the main panel for the 747, but have decided to get started on the center console as the INS is going to be programmed very soon.  I started on the Center console last night and have just about finished it this afternoon.  Possibly a few tiny little adjustments.  

Anyway...Overhead, FE panel and Center console...

yafaray20100110221021.th.png

yafaray20100109183317.th.png

yafaray20100110221141.th.png

yafaray20100111153741.th.png

yafaray20100111153930.th.png

Goran

I have the pricing already figured out.  This add on will cost $6500.  And for every purchase, you get a brand new top end PC for only $1 more!

But wait!!!  That's not all.  If you're one of the first 100 people to call NOW, you get a free 747-200 add on!

;D

Just better clarify...polys are still fairly low and when I finished the modelling, I'll be culling some more polygons.  So far, the entire aircraft has about 270 000 polygons.