Next Photoscenery Airport Project, which should it be?

chris k

If we were to tackle another Photoscenery Airport Project, which should it be?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which Airport? (Multiple Choice Allowed)

• YPAD - Adeliade, SA, Australia
    • CYYZ - Toronto, Ontartio, Canada
    • YMML - Melbourne, VIC, Australia
    • NZAA - Auckland, New Zealand
    • Other - Please ensure there is royalty-free 10-15cm orthophotos for it first

Hello All,

Since we're nearing completion of the YSSY Airport Photo Scenery Project, I'd like to get all of your inputs for the next project we should take on.

The Airports listed above I have short-listed, since they all have 10-15cm royalty-free orthophoto tiles available for them. They also have existing X-Plane objects made for them:

- YPAD and YMML we can derive permission from the AussiePak's/VOZ for inclusion.

- CYYZ There is an excellent FSX conversion from 2007 which we could also derive rights to.

- NZAA was done by the XPJets team back in the v7 run, and I have shown that they can be converted to XP8-OBJ spec for use in XP10; and would just need Robin/Dhruv's blessing to use.

So, that being said, cast your vote. i would also suggest that if you vote for them, that you can also contribute somehow to the project (i.e. donation of objects, willingness to help Photoshop things, help beta test and give precise feedback (i.e. this line needs fixing w/coordinates and screenshots), and perhaps use WED1.2 to fix up taxiway markings or provide XP10 ATC/AI Airport "Flow" design for taxi routes, etc..)

If you have another one not on this lease, use the "Write in"; but please ensure that (1) 10-15cm orthophotos already exist for it, and know where we can download them, and (2) ensure that there are existing objects somewhere (either in a free FSX conversion we could use, or an earlier X-Plane build), which we could attempt to derive rights from. I don't want to re-invent the wheel here. =)

Thanks for the feedback!

You can choose Multiple Responses in the poll above.

- CK and all the helpers.

Edited by chris k

How about Orcas Island Washington After seeing Mountain Air this would be a great small destination and the perfect addon for Inside passage users It has been done in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 and X " see I said Simulator followed by 2004 and X for all of you perfectionists " LOL

post-927-0-15445600-1341715619_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris K,

I have been tentatively following your crews progress throughout the great development of YSSY.

With that said, would it be seen as too unrealistic/challenging/etc etc and look at developing all the major hubs in South East Asia and beyond?

YMML would be my choice for the Poll, but how about................... KLIA?? :lol:

What an achievement that would be to complete.

Thoughts?

Also, I am taking an interest in scenery development for Xplane-10 as a hobby. How do we get involved in your volunteer crew as a newbie?

Bennett

Hey Bennet!

Hmmm! WMKK - I don't know - I'd have to check into the Malaysian Govt's websites to see if there's some free orthoscenery for it. Generally, I'm looking for easy-to-access-and-download imagery that has little to no cost, and has no copyrights associated with it (or, has copyrights, but is some kind of creative commons license so we may re-use it in a scenery pack). I don't see any Kuala airports for X-Plane either. Ruyjo did an FSX conversion for his video on Youtube, but don't think he was allowed to redistribute. We'd have to find someone willing to allow us to convert their work. (again, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel).

So, if we want to go down this path, if you can find:

1. Royalty Free Geo-referenced Orthophotos of the Airport at less than 20 cm resolution (10-15 is better); and where we can download them. JPGs are good, GeoTIFFs are better. =)

2. Any existing FSX scenery we could use, and/or convert and/or derive redistribution rights to; or other such objects (Sketchup?)

I highly appreciate your offer to help out! In terms of tasks of "The Merry Band of Volunteers"... we have a few areas I see that always need covering for any project so far:

1. Photoshopping of Tiles - Removing Airplanes and other chaff from the photos, so they're nice and clean. (Ropeless and Fenriz are doing a great job on this so far, and Simon also helped)

2. Object Creation - If we need a custom object created for a specific scene, or general things like checkered huts, custom billboards, jetways, etc. Seth, Henry have helped in this regard. Goran has also offered to help.

3. Object Texturing - Many times a Public Domain Sketchup object already exists, and need it converted from Sketchup to X-Plane. Needs redoing the textures into 1 file and then using the SU-2-XP scripts. Again, Seth was my man here. Goran has also offered to help...

4. WED, WED, WED. Taxi lines are massively occupying my time. Any help in tracing out taxiway edges, markings, lighting, entrances, centrelines w/bezier curves, signage, etc.

Basically, the tasks break down to those 4 items above (well, at least as what I can think of off the 'top of my head' =) heh.

Any of those interest you? I have need of someone for item #3 right now for YSSY to texture up the harbour bridge. I already have the 3D object ready to go.. but any help in any of these is always appreciated. Even just doing basic research (finding useful objects, finding existing objects/scenery we coiuld use down the road, etc..) is also good!

- CK.

P.S. DEEP Apologies to others who have offered to help and I have forgotten..! (no, I dont forget our Singaporean/Montreal Habs Fan, Karinga). =) My ecxuse is its Monday night, it's late, and my Dog has eaten my brain instead of my old Homework.

Edited by chris k

Hi,

Okay the search is on for WMKK.

I'll have a chat to the chap who had developed WMKK for FSX and see if we can go further with it.

I see through threads, you can transfer his work over to X Plane, which is a positive.

Its just convincing him to release it to us!

Let me work my magic.

Bennett.

Then finding ortho's of WMKK is tricky.

• Upvote 1

You're free to do what you will with NZAA, Chris. If you do put an update out, we'd be happy to host it on the XP Jets website as well.

Thankyou Dhruv and the XP-Jets Team.! As Mentioned, if I do a conversion fro XP10, It'll be heavily credited to you guys for the original art assets.

- CK.

"Landsat Data Continuity Mission website says the new satellite will capture images at 15m-100m resolution"

Good idea, unfortunately an entire taxiway would be one blocky pixel. =(

nearmap.com is still providing 15cm stuff of the major CBDs for Aussieland... hence YPAD and YMML are on the list. We'll close the voting when YSSY is released, BTW

My vote would be for YSBK and/or YWVA. I'm not too up on editing, but since I love to fly the scenery so much I should probably learn...spent a very happy vatsim hour tonight at YSSY doing ccts and ILS approaches to 16l. Again, well done and thank you Chris k and dr ropeless. Cheers Justin.

I think CYYZ may be in the lead here..... question is if those who have voted for CYYZ can contribute to it. =)

We'll leave this for another week - then I'll circle the wagons with the regular rogues gallery of photo-shoppers and obj contributors; and see if we have a consensus on direction. =)

- CK.

• 2 weeks later...