Frame Rates

wylie233

Hello!

Yes this is yet another frame rate topic - sorry.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac11,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i3

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s

Rendering Options is on very low settings, and i am still only getting 10 Frame rates per second.

It takes down my enjoyment of the sim very much.

Please Help!

• Upvote 1

start from lowest settings possible and "work your way up" (there even is a button in the rendering settings). This is also directly connected to your memory issue causing your X-Plane to crash. You can solve both issues with turning your settings way down.

Yeah I have tried this. But when I do take everything to zilch

The frame rates are still only at 10.

Simmo, what do ou mean

you can't change the graphics card on an iMac. But yours should not be that bad and instead run XP much better. I would delete preferences and start from scratch. Do not use HDR and turn down "world detail distance" to medium or low.

Sounds great. One more thing - sorry.

How to delete prefs?

Actually, I have a feeling that you are using the same iMac I used to own. Is it an approximately four year old iMac, thick screen, 24 inch?

If it is the 3.06 GHz chip set, you'll either have a 256 mb ATI GPU, or a 512 mb NVIDIA GPU (I feel sorry for people with the Ge Force 8800 GS, piece of junk quit on me three times)...

iMac 11,2 = 21.5 Inch (Mid 2010)

Processor i3 @ 3.06 GHz

Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD 4670

Graphics Memory 256 MB

Resolution 1920 by 1080 pixels

1. The Core i3 is significantly slower than it's bigger cousings (i5/i7) - I wouldnt expect alot of CPU grunt here...

2. The 4670 isn't a great video processor. - Check http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html and have a look for yourself.

3. Turn down the texture resolution - with 256 Mb of VRAM, you'll easily run out of VRAM and that will cause *nasty* texture swapping

4. Disable HDR, Disable AA, Disable Per-Pixel-Lighting, Disable Grtty Textures. As Simon sayd, These eat FPS for breakfast.

5. Do not attempt to run this full screen at 1920x1080. You are suffering from "fill rate" issues - the GPU simply cannot 'paint the pixels' fast enough.

Try this to see if you're fill-rate limited: http://developer.x-plane.com/2012/01/mobile-gpus-and-fill-rate/

- CK.

When i run a lower screen res, its great. But it does make the sim look weird - very fussy!

I thought this was a good computer, i hear people saying 90 FPS - WOW WHAT A DREAM!!!!!!

When my res is lower, it goes to around 27 FPS.

Looking at my computer stats, does this make sense (only 10 FPS at normal Res)?

Thanks for the help!!!!

Also, i am prepared to spend a small sum of money on a graphics card, but will this really make it better?

I'm on the same situation like you wilye233. So that's why i haven't bought XP10 yet! But there where a major improvement for fps when using 2d cockpits, and if i'm not wrong, Laminar has in their to-do list improvements in 3D cockpits as well. I'm checking any update using the demo, and ... waiting!

Yeah, it just seems so weird that people actually get 90 FPS here on planet earth!

How can this be possible, low rendering options, computer shuts down often, what more is there that makes the sim still look

Plauseable?

I'm running a semi-good system but am still getting around 50+ fps with most my sliders turned up.. I think the most crucial criterias to getting XPX to run properly are the GPU, and the tweaking of the sim itself.

Now that's a great suggestion for the poor Wylie! I also suggest doing your best to swap the i3 for an new i7 and add and SSD, maybe a new motherboard too, that helps

(sorry, I'm only joking, although it might be a hint to look over ebay for something faster). I think my phone has more grunt now :D