[SOLVED] iMac CTD Issue

FirstOfficerTom

Hi Developers,

I have been a CRJ-200 customer from day one and adore this aircraft, it flew perfectly in X-Plane 9, but I haven't at all been able to fly the aircraft in X-Plane 10. I have waited through a few updates to see if my problem would be resolved but it has not. I have no plugins in my X-Plane 10 directory (as advised in the pinned thread), yet when loading the CRJ, the sim loads the aircraft, then when the message "Done with pre-loading" appears, a CTD occurs. As you can imagine this is very frustrating for me, please find attached my Log.txt, no Crash log was produced.

EDIT:

My system specs are

iMac late 2011 intel i5 @ 2.7Ghz 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz, 1TB HDD

ATI AMD Radeon HD 6770M VRAM: 512MB

Thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer,

Tom

Log.txt

Edited by FirstOfficerTom

Hi, Tom,

Nothing crazy sticks out in the log provided. If you have the crash_log.txt that would be useful. As your on a Mac, OS X will also spit out a log that you can copy and past in the box that tells you the application crashed.

My first place to start assessing this would be to have you put the texture resolution on the lowest possible setting. I realize things look ugly here, but this is a way to test if we're hitting a VRAM issue.

Tom,

how to find the crash log on Mac:

Open Applications/Utilities/Console.app and look in the list "User diagnostic reports". This list is chronologically ordered, so the last X-Plane crash will be at the bottom end of that list.

EDIT: By the way, did you download the latest 1.4.2 update? No need to fight against long-solved problems.

Philipp

Edited by philipp

Hi Phillipp,

I looked under user diagnostic reports and there were none whatsoever but there were numerous under 'System Diagnostic Reports'. Not knowing much about logs myself I scanned through and it looks like it may be the one you're looking for.

This CTD occured under the same circumstances using the CRJ v1.4.2

The file was a .crash but I changed it to a .txt file for easy viewing.

I have also included the Log.txt file from this occurrence.

Thanks,

Tom

X-Plane_2012-02-07-195230_iMac.txt

Log.txt

Why are you running X-Plane as an adminstrator? Because the crash log appearing under "System" instead of user diagnostic reports means just that. Is there a particular reason why you execute X-Plane with system privileges?

Anyway, the crash log points to a part of programming I'm not responsible for, but I forwarded it to the guys in charge.

Philipp

Hi, Tom,

Indeed, there should be no reason for a scenery pack to require X-Plane to run as admin. Install makes sense (very little still), but X-Plane is the actual application that runs scenery, and to it...a scenery file is a scenery file is a scenery file once it's read.

Tom,

Please do the following:

1. Download the XP 10 Demo: http://dev.x-plane.com/update/installers10/X-Plane10DemoInstallerMac.zip

2. Install the CRJ-200 to this copy of X-Plane

3. Run X-Plane (as well as the demo installer for that matter) without administration rights.

Please report back what happens.

Off the bat, this could be a funky permissions issue. The code is no different from V9 to V10, and you say it works in V9.

Hi Cameron,

I did so in a User account on my iMac and the CRJ worked as expected, which led me to then move my X-Plane 10 folder to a normal user account at which point Bingo it works! :D Only problem now is that I have to choose between scenery and CRJ (as the scenery for some reason still refuses to work in a non-root account).

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it! :)

Tom

Hi Cameron,

I did so in a User account on my iMac and the CRJ worked as expected, which led me to then move my X-Plane 10 folder to a normal user account at which point Bingo it works! :D Only problem now is that I have to choose between scenery and CRJ (as the scenery for some reason still refuses to work in a non-root account).

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it! :)

Tom

Hi, Tom,

All of this makes sense...it's a permission issue. X-Plane was trying to read files it didn't have permission to read based on user account permissions. The same is happening with your scenery.

To fix this, you can CHMOD your scenery files to 777. You'll need to do this recursively in terminal.

A quick google search will show you how to do this...be sure to do the CHMOD under the user account for which you installed the scenery on.

• Upvote 1