Pics of your X-Plane desk setup

Kaphias

Edit I am having a hard time attaching a jpeg....any suggestions on how I do it?

Below the text window, click "Choose File", choose your jpeg file, and click "Attach this file". Make sure it's not too big to upload.

Ola, nice setup, can you tell us what app your running on your iPad that shows the map with your ac position on it?

Thanks. It's Air Nav Pro. It works for its purpose, but setting up a route is way too slow for my liking. It feels that it would be faster to just fly the damn route without setting it up beforehand.

The performance is kind of lagging too. You move ever so fluid in XP, but it updates, say, twice per second where you are on the map. So I use it only for VFR flights. A bit too expensive too..

Below the text window, click "Choose File", choose your jpeg file, and click "Attach this file". Make sure it's not too big to upload.

Thanks. It's Air Nav Pro. It works for its purpose, but setting up a route is way too slow for my liking. It feels that it would be faster to just fly the damn route without setting it up beforehand.

The performance is kind of lagging too. You move ever so fluid in XP, but it updates, say, twice per second where you are on the map. So I use it only for VFR flights. A bit too expensive too..

Ola, thanks for the info about Air Nav Pro. You're right, a little expensive especially for just the map feature I'm looking for. Does anyone know of an IOS app that show a moving map (google?) with x-plane?

Ola, thanks for the info about Air Nav Pro. You're right, a little expensive especially for just the map feature I'm looking for. Does anyone know of an IOS app that show a moving map (google?) with x-plane?

I am a fan of this app. A must have for VFR. Not only you will have OSM instead of Google Maps (wich is what XP10 uses), but you also have airspaces around the world - essential for flying Vatsim and/or Ivao. On top, it has the visual reference points you won't find in any IFR-specific app like airtrack. Also I do not suffer from the bad performance that Ola is experiencing. There are a lot of options to set up this app and I tuned most stuff off that I do not need (wich is possible because it is so much more than only a mapping app. you also could have additional instruments on the screen etc.etc.)

Edited by woweezowee

Hi guys and gals,

I use an app called Skycharts.....(www.skycharts.net) pretty successfully for a while now...it communicates with x-plane well mooves smoothly and you can switch the overlay from different maps (ifr, vfr etc etc) As far as I am aware it just covers the USA and Canada but I think it is still fairly inexpensive compared to the competition. I use it for flying VFR and GA and find it invaluable as a resource. I hope people find that helpful. It also will map your flight plans too with airways and it gives you sids and stars of all airports too.

Enjoy

Best,

Phil

Just to keep things on topic I've included a pic of my setup.

Thanks for the suggestions for iPad map apps.

Skycharts looks good but only for USA and I'm in Canada

xGPS looks good too but I don't want to jailbreak my iPad

FSWidgets looks promising but only sectional and aeronautical charts for USA but it does use OSM for everywhere.

Air Nav Pro is good but $$ and seems to have limited resources for Canada also.

post-106-0-17011500-1325625714_thumb.jpg

I'm in temporary accommodation at the moment. I've put my Saitek pedals under the desk, and stopped them from sliding all over the place by putting DVD cases between the base and the wall. In front of the pedals, I've put my PC tower. In front of that, there is my chair. I put the X52 joystick on top of the tower so I sit at the chair with my legs each side of the PC and the joystick roughly between my knees. Throttle, mouse, keyboard and monitor sit on the desk above.

No-one else is using such a setup?

not really a xplane workstation as much as a developers I guess....coffee, books, trackball. I have a cheap joystick in the corner I just bought though.

post-5-0-33047800-1324481659_thumb.jpg

High tech with with a little retro thrown in (the fan and the YETI mike) Now if you could only interface the fan with engine RPM data and place it behind the monitor for some wind for flying open cockpit aircraft .HiHi B)

If you're interested in building stuff for your home cockpits, see what Paul Stoffregen's just done:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=55952&st=20

He makes a very small, cheap USB interface board called Teensy, which depending on model provides a combination of 25-46 digital input/outpit pins, 8-12 analogue inputs and 7-9 pulsed outputs. I emailed him exactly eight days ago asking about flight simulator applications for Teensy. He has no background in flight simulation or aviation, but in less than a week he's written code allowing a Teensy to communicate with the datarefs and commands in X-Plane. It pretty much makes hardware equivalent to generic instruments and 3d-cockpit manipulators in how they interface with the sim.

I'll be using one to build the autopilot console from the Comet airliner to begin with. Just waiting for the boards to get across the Atlantic. They're cheap enough I can buy half a dozen and use them on frivolous things, like wiring a bunch of potentiometers to the dimmable cockpit lights in one of my favourite aircraft, or building a switch panel for the MU-2 overhead which would be useless on any other aircraft. Or the annunciator panel for that matter. It would actually be cheaper to build my own MU-2 overhead panel and wire it up using a Teensy than to buy a graphics card capable of running X-Plane at a high-enough texture resolution that I can read the labels on it!

• 4 weeks later...

Leo Bodnar's board are superb. They are relatively cheap compared to other boards on the market, such as the simkits 32bit controller. I used one to convert a gameport CH pedal set into a USB variety and it has never failed on me. It only cost me £25 when I bought it, they cost around £40 now but that is still pretty good. I used to have a switch panel to control various FSX switches where I used the Simkits board (also good).

Some pics of the switch panel (plus my old project) here:

http://cessnasim.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately, I stripped it out to make my new simulator that runs with X-plane 9.70, but i think it was worthwhile :) I haven't got it to run in X-Plane 10 just yet. I hope to make a new one for using with XPX.

Some pics of my new one here:

http://www.simkits.com/builderpage.php?url=rhydianjamesyeoman

Here is an old photo (I think I've posted it before, must make a new one)

Cheers

Rhydian

My-Cockpit.jpg

I sympathize with that setup Goran. Hardly any room left to write notes! I have a hallway table for a desk, it's so small in depth that I roll out the drawers to support the keyboard. And every time I think of getting a 30 inch screen, I have to remind myself I couldn't fit it in anyway!