G5 Cessna 172 in X-Plane 12 - GPS won't open 2d window

echomanhce

Hi all,

I'd like to throw this out there to see if this is just me, or a common issue.  I'm a long time X-Plane 11 user, and upgraded to X-Plane 12 (I'm currently on 12.04).   I bought the AFM G5 plugin for X-Plane 11 in 2020, and when I got the email that it was ready for use with X-Plane 12, I downloaded the update (v2.1.0), installed it, flew the G5 172 provided with the plugin, activated the license, and started flying.

Everything works great except for one, relatively small detail: when I click either of the GPS screens in the cockpit, the 2D-window does not open.  I went back and re-tested the version in X-Plane 11 (2.0.0), and the G5 172 does not exhibit this behavior (clicking either GPS opens a 2D window of the GPS screen).  While a workaround exists (assigning keys to the 2D GPS Window popups), I did want to post this to let the developers know in case this is not expected behavior, and to see if any other users of v2.1 have seen this behavior in X-Plane 12.

Thanks all!

log_could_not_popout_gps_g5cessna.txt Log_standard_cessna.txt

Edited by echomanhce
added log files
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @Coop, can you provide a status on this report? I just ran into this today, and it is a blocker for me using my RealSimGear GNS530 for instrument rating practice. Hoping there's an update since the report has been here a while. I encountered the issue on the G5 v2.1.0 update.

Thanks!

My understanding is that Coop is blocked by Laminar Research.

- Laminar changed how avionics are rendered.

- Laminar updated the default aircraft to use their new avionics.

- We as developers are waiting on the SDK and tools to be expanded in many ways to allow us access to all XP12 can do.

I've attached a Screenshot from the XP-Developer Slack chat where Ben Supnik explains some of the logic behind current choices.

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 11.07.40 am.png

Further in the thread Ben S. explains that Laminar is looking to expand the "click" processing to better suit things like; real touch screens, VR, VR Gloves, and boring old mouse clicks.

The obvious solution seems to be to provide patched versions of the default aircraft files that can hook the the mouse clicks but I don't think it's possible at this time with the way XP12 has changed.

The thread that screenshot is from was quite long and several other developers(including Laminar for their own mobile titles) are wanting better functionality for these items so hopefully it's high on Laminars priority list.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Echo said:

Hi @Coop, can you provide a status on this report? I just ran into this today, and it is a blocker for me using my RealSimGear GNS530 for instrument rating practice. Hoping there's an update since the report has been here a while. I encountered the issue on the G5 v2.1.0 update.

Thanks!

tagged for notification of reply