IXEG 737 Classic for X-Plane 12 Announcement

Cameron

On 5/24/2023 at 12:04 PM, tkyler said:

Thx.  Somewhere in that endeavor is revealed the next projects we'll be working on...curious if anybody will figure it out :)

Anyhow....the WIP of the cockpit lighting.

image.png

This is not a preview, this is a show off (ps: need this on my hangar asap)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, GusRodrigues said:

this is a show off

Thx....but.......Jan didn't like it.    "...that's not how I remember it"  he said. (Thx Jan)  sent me this...

image.png

so here we are now....and still tweaking :)    Jan's a tough one.

image.png

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 8

OH....if anybody is planning on attending FSExpo 2023 in Houston,  I should be there and love to meet and chat up folks.  Long time fans of the IXEG may remember that I spent several years working on a NASA project....and darn if this Expo isn't 5 minutes from the offices I spent 4 years working at (and hampering IXEG work).  ....it is like a 2nd home to me almost and I do know the good spots for food  and wine in this area :P   I'll be wandering the halls aimlessly during the day and hitting the good spots at night and would love to meet anybody who plans on attending. You'll just have to keep an eye out for the name tag, and if I'm not looking at something close up, my 'readers' will be on top of my head.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler

wingflex done.  Kudos again to Laminar...someone there snuck in a good implementation of it while I wasn't paying attention, saving me coding time.  Moving on to wrapping up the cabin lighting and texturing and then final punchlist and QA checks.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 9

On 5/25/2023 at 8:11 PM, tkyler said:

OH....if anybody is planning on attending FSExpo 2023 in Houston,  I should be there and love to meet and chat up folks.  Long time fans of the IXEG may remember that I spent several years working on a NASA project....and darn if this Expo isn't 5 minutes from the offices I spent 4 years working at (and hampering IXEG work).  ....it is like a 2nd home to me almost and I do know the good spots for food  and wine in this area :P   I'll be wandering the halls aimlessly during the day and hitting the good spots at night and would love to meet anybody who plans on attending. You'll just have to keep an eye out for the name tag, and if I'm not looking at something close up, my 'readers' will be on top of my head.

-tkyler

See you there!    So nice to finally be having an FSExpo again with covid totally in the rear view mirror of life. ... and your NASA work behind us!  

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 1:46 PM, tkyler said:

image.png

Speaking of night lighting, has any consideration been given to triggering "sim/private/controls/render/tickle_cubemaps" when a lighting setting is changed (such as the bright/dim switches, or brightness knobs)? I have a Lua script that lets me trigger it manually with a keybind, but it's super nice having the lighting update happen instantly when you twist a rheostat or flip a switch in the Challenger vs. having to press a button (or worse, wait 2+ minutes for the sim to do it automatically - Laminar PLEASE make this happen more often...).

1 hour ago, rosseloh said:

Speaking of night lighting, has any consideration been given to triggering "sim/private/controls/render/tickle_cubemaps" when a lighting setting is changed (such as the bright/dim switches, or brightness knobs)? I have a Lua script that lets me trigger it manually with a keybind, but it's super nice having the lighting update happen instantly when you twist a rheostat or flip a switch in the Challenger vs. having to press a button (or worse, wait 2+ minutes for the sim to do it automatically - Laminar PLEASE make this happen more often...).

I believe doing this was “blessed” by Supnik too!

5 hours ago, rosseloh said:

as any consideration been given to triggering

I have no idea what that is or what it does :P   It doesn't seem to be a dataref I can change...or I can't seem to change it with DRE rather.   is there a discussion somewhere on this dataref, what its for and why its desired to mess with?

-tk

Edited by tkyler

1 hour ago, tkyler said:

I have no idea what that is or what it does :P   It doesn't seem to be a dataref I can change...or I can't seem to change it with DRE rather.   is there a discussion somewhere on this dataref, what its for and why its desired to mess with?

-tk

Its a command not a dataref, and it initiates the recalc of the cubemap for lighting reflections.   And Ben Supnik did say this wasn't a bad idea to do, that is true.   Not being so visually picky I haven't tried it myself, but I do know Saso did it in the CL650.

1 hour ago, tkyler said:

-tk

What jsnapp said, but in more detail: it's not mentioned in this thread as far as I'm aware. I don't know enough under the hood to know if it's a command or a dataref since I'm barely a scripter, let alone a developer, but I know you can trigger it by writing 1 to it (it will reset to zero next frame). I've done it in DRE, and with my FWL script (required some finagling, as in I had to use jjjLib1.setDataRef_f(tickle_cubemaps, 1.0) to actually trigger it vs. using the built in FWL dataref manipulation, so maybe that's what you're having an issue with).

In normal simming, when you make a lighting change, X-Plane doesn't update the reflections for a couple of minutes, or when you force a change to the time-of-day. As such, your ambient lighting environment is actually incorrect, until that couple of minutes passes and the sim updates it, and suddenly your flight deck gets brighter/darker accordingly. It also affects screen/light source reflections on windows. As an example, take the CL650 before Toto implemented automatic triggering of this dataref whenever you change a brightness knob: you'd load in, turn on the plane, have really bright screens because the last flight was in the daytime and XP12 requires you to actually change brightness settings. Then you'd turn the knobs down, the screens would dim, but the windscreen would still show an ugly blue reflection from the PFD until the sim decided to update the reflections (usually a couple of minutes, as I said).

"Tickling the cubemaps" forces a refresh on demand.

I wasn't aware Supnik said this was an alright idea since I'm not in the dev circles (except the HotStart discord which is full of really smart people), but there you go, take it from the man himself. :)

2 hours ago, tkyler said:

-tk

Anything you set it to other than 0 will be reset back to 0 on the next frame by the sim, but the result is the lighting cubemap gets rebuilt immediately. There’s a discussion on the “Dev Slack,” but there was originally some confusion as to the exact dataref name that got implement in the sim a couple of versions ago.

Edited by Pils

58 minutes ago, jsnapp said:

Its a command not a dataref, and it initiates the recalc of the cubemap for lighting reflections.   And Ben Supnik did say this wasn't a bad idea to do, that is true.   Not being so visually picky I haven't tried it myself, but I do know Saso did it in the CL650.

It is a dataref, but X-Plane treats writing to it as a trigger for the recomputation. So just write something in there (I use the number 1, but technically could be any integer) and X-Plane will perform the cubemap rebuild.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, skiselkov said:

It is a dataref,

Thx Saso...I saw it in the dataref list and set it to 1, but it was immediately set back to zero so I didn't realize if it worked or not...I wasn't paying attention to the lighting..just 'poking around'.  Certainly if its beneficial during the act of changing a lighting setting, then we'll put it in asap.

-tk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wahltho said:

Regarding Mac, will it be M1 native support (universal binary) or just X64?

I'm unsure as of this very instant.   There are some unknowns I need to get more info on, but am currently focused on the dev work atm so I haven't thought about it terribly much.  Certainly we'll be working towards that native support asap and I expect I'll probably turn my attention to that in about a week or so as part of our final punchlist and QA work before deployment.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 8:12 PM, tkyler said:

Thx....but.......Jan didn't like it.    "...that's not how I remember it"  he said. (Thx Jan)  sent me this...

image.png

so here we are now....and still tweaking :)    Jan's a tough one.

image.png

Hi,

I see you also offer optional analoge engine gauges. What about the Autopilot with the A/P CMD engage paddles Lufthansa and Southwest were using. Could this be modeled?
SX-LWA - Boeing 737-330 - Lumiwings

• Like 1

• Litjan unpinned this topic