IXEG 737 Classic for X-Plane 12 Announcement

Cameron

On 5/7/2023 at 3:37 AM, Litjan said:

Another successful testflight this morning - Flagstaff, Az to Tucson, Az.

We are still ironing out some issues, but here are two screenshots (one showing the current look of the new GUI).

1399342736_NewGUIlook.thumb.jpg.953ddf13f1ffd9518aa65898b686a842.jpg

1200628067_FinalRNAV11LZKTUS.thumb.jpg.0c1143b2dcb9612b51c0aff7ff386310.jpg

Will we see cockpit improvements in the 3D model and textures in 4k PBR? Thanks!

3 hours ago, ThorBrasil said:

Will we see cockpit improvements in the 3D model and textures in 4k PBR? Thanks!

Not for some time.  The cockpit looks great in XP12, even after 13 years since its first incarnation.  PBR effects are applied in several areas of  the cockpit already.   There is a limit to the resolution of the textures where more does not necessarily equal better and a specific balance was chosen at the onset.  One thing that has not changed much over the years is monitor "dot pitch'...with a few exceptions (Apple's retina display).   Having chosen a minimum distance from camera to surfaces that we consider reasonable for a good simulation experience....and also in consideration of anti-aliasing algorithms,  we have found that going higher and higher resolution results in poorer detail at the nominal viewing distances and there is a 'sweet-spot' balance between resolution and anti-aliasing algorithms.  Anti-aliasing gets less effective at 'too high' resolutions and you get more 'jaggies', not less.   Sure, when you get the camera right up on the surfaces, they look good then, but if a real pilot had to get as equally close to a surface to see its detail, you would most certainly question his last eye exam.   As such, we selected a nominal range of camera distances from surfaces for typical simming activites and developed our resolutions based on those use cases.  Going any higher doesn't yield any worthwhile benefit in our experience as of yet.

I'm not saying there's not room for improvements in a few areas...but relative to other ares of the 3D, its certainly one of the better textured areas and not at the top of the list for improvement.....and we're quite proud of how good it still looks in XP12 after 13 years.   Nils Danielson did an unbelievable job of texturing the cockpit, best I've ever seen to this day IMO, and those who have experienced his work and the immersion it imbues (myself included) know what I'm talking about.

We'll keep on eye on it, vs the state of the art technologically,  and if there's something we feel we can do that will improve the immersion experience, we'll ceratainly put it on our wish / todo list and try and knock that out.

-tkyler

• Like 11

Hi,

Thanks for your efforts with the update. I check very regurarly to see the progress, is this threath the correct place to see that? I and all are looking forward to the IXEG 737 in XP12, could you maybe say something about approximatly when or at least where you are with the development?

Thx! 

Edited by rylabics

38 minutes ago, rylabics said:

is this threath the correct place to see that?

This thread (and this forum at large) are the correct place - although there will be an email newsletter when the plane is ready for XP12.

We are in the final stages of updating, I am not going to dare and put a date on it, but the plane is flying fine and the remaining work is some 3D, some minor bug squashing and a final user-experience polish.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, rylabics said:

could you maybe say something about approximatly when or at least where you are with the development?

I have a confession.  I was approached about 10 days ago to participate in a short-notice endeavor (X-Plane related) that was tough to refuse and had me put the IXEG work on hold for this time frame....so this short delay in our original time estimate is squarely on my shoulders.....but I feel was the wiser decision for my continued work in X-Plane.

I'm back on to the IXEG tomorrow.  This side endeavor will become known sometime today I suspect.   The good news (hint) is that completion of this endeavor will allow me to continue on the IXEG development right after the V12 port version comes out, and not have to detour back onto any other work....and there is a bit of an 'Easter Egg' in this endeavor that reveals the two projects we plan on working on in 2024.

So we'll roll out the V12 port and I'll jump right back onto the FMS and other improvements planned for the remainder of the year.  So this endeavor delays the V12 port, but moves forward the follow-on work.   Those improvments (FMS, new nav data, beginnings of new 3D exterior) will take the better part of 2023 I'm sure, but we'll start that immedately after the V12 port release.

As far as time frame for the V12 port now.... I can't say exactly.  we always feel "close" because all the big stuff is out of the way.  My todo list largely consists of finishing the interior texturing (rear galley), putting in the wing flex and squashing Jan's list of 'mostly small' issues, that's the list.  

I am dealing with 3 graduations of my kids this weekend (and family get-togethers).... and they will get my time to celebrate their achievements.   I'd like to be done within 3 weeks, that's all I'll say.  Will we be done in 3 weeks?  I don't know.  If not, I'll certainly be closer than I am today and still moving!

-tkyler

• Like 10

1 hour ago, PEPcessna said:

Intergrated Cue EADI texture mod work with it? 

I apologize, that's a new one on me.  What is the 'Integrated Cue EADI texture mod'?   

That being said, Any symbology on the EADI that is texture based, then modifying the texture would change its appearance.  Not sure if that answers your question.

-tkyler

Quick Question: 

Will we be able to use both the X-Plane 11 and 12 versions on the same machine? I'm guessing different license keys for the X-Plane 12 version if you are upgrading from 1.33?

Thanks in advance. 

23 hours ago, tkyler said:

I apologize, that's a new one on me.  What is the 'Integrated Cue EADI texture mod'?   

That being said, Any symbology on the EADI that is texture based, then modifying the texture would change its appearance.  Not sure if that answers your question.

-tkyler

It does thank you, I just wasnt sure with the XP12 version of the aircraft the textures were going to be in different directories making any texture mod for previous version incompatible.  If they remain the same then this mod should work. 

The integrated cue EADI mod is located here https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/69579-integrated-cue-eadi-for-boeing-737-300-ixeg-with-different-color-options/ not sponsored. 

1 hour ago, PEPcessna said:

If they remain the same then this mod should work. 

definitely.  we're not touching that.

On another note, we are back full steam on the IXEG after that short MU2 detour for Sporty's Pilot Shop.  Working the lighting pass now, probably one of the bigger jobs.  We have over 700 inidividual surfaces / lights that we have to audit 1 by 1 for the proper brightness values in XP12.   After that, I'll hit the wing-flex and then the final punchlist items list.  Jan is performing more test flights for any obvious bugs also.

After the V12 compatibility / port release and bug chasing dies down, we'll start the "improvement" phase.

-tkyler

• Like 10

Hello! Question to the Authors, most likely, why is there no support for ixeg 737 on xp11 and is not solved by the developers in any way!? Do you think that the goods are not cheap in terms of money!? Is it possible, of course, to respond or not to respond to the requests of thousands of people using the product for ixeg 737 under xp11? Notice the price is the same stable! Fix a couple of jambs in version 133, I think that this is not a problem for the Developer. Sorry fellow developers! I'm afraid to say that this is all waiting for users of the xp12 version

Edited by jenijek

Its a simple business decision based on our many years of experience, more than most developers.  We've kept metrics since day 1 and still do.  When a new version of XP comes out and stabilizes, the majority of users migrate to the new version.  XP12 is so vastly different from XP11 technologically, that maintaining two development branches such that fewer and fewer XP11 users over time can benefit is incredibly costly timewise...and users who linger in older versions commonly do so to avoid the cost of upgrading, either the software or suitable hardware to run it.  They don't usually refrain because they like the "older uglier version" more than the "newer prettier version".......and this generally means they also do not want to pay for the work to upgrade a V11 version either...and catering to that dwindling market would come at the cost of development time to improve the XP12 version for the majority of customers who have moved to XP12, and will do so in the near future.  We have to move where the business is, or go broke and nobody gets the 737.   We deal with this every time X-Plane changes a major version.....nobody that we know of is using XP9 or 10.  Eventually, no one will be using XP11 either.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 1

• Litjan unpinned this topic