Let's talk about flying airplanes?

Rick310

I think I have said this before, I had plans to get my PPL. But if I did that I could not afford to retire. I made the right decision, I retired insteaded.

The unrealistic part of flying in Alaska is that most of the airports in Alaska do not have fuel available. I fill up my tanks at every airport in Alaska.

I have been flight simming since 2000. Microsoft Flight Simulator 98 was my first, then 2000, then 2004, and for a short period of time on steam FSX. 2019 I bought X-Plane 11 and never looked back.

Been a member of many VA's. I quit most, because of rejected PIREP's. I was kicked out on one (Flying Tigers Group) because of my mouth. Now I have my own VA, Mainly for my private flight log. Powered my PHPvms. 

For now I will continue to fly the Carenado King Air C90B.

In the past few winter months I made a trip from Rotenburg/Wümme (EDXQ) in northern Germany up to Lakselv Airport (ENNA) in northern Norway, mainly to experience the representation of winter in X-Plane 12. I chose the DA42 for this trip - reasonably fast, easy to fly, and - most importantly - equipped with a fluid deicing system. Oh, and available for XP12 at the time I started the trip...

1992946817_DA42-2023-02-2615_57_52.thumb.png.f33e9054400f045e924e3a7ded7110f6.png

I flew with real weather (or what XP thinks is real), which gave me quite a few unpleasant days with low visibility, strong winds and permanent risk of icing up. I also tested the new ATC on this trip, flying most legs just VFR with flight following, and a few with an IFR plan. Overall a large improvement over XP11's ATC, but still a bit stubborn in some cases. The winter wonderland in the screenshot above btw. is fake - for one of the legs, I set the weather to manual and activated snowy runways. This was the only time I saw snow on the ground, although in reality northern Norway was covered with at least two feet of snow at the time I was flying there.

screenshot-271.thumb.png.6abae16b5f2820ea034e3b2a45e65188.png

My starting point, EDXQ, is approximately on the same latitude (N53°) as Goose Bay (CYYR) in Labrador, Canada, and ENNA is about as far up north (N70°) as Deadhorse (PASC) in northern Alaska.

• Like 1

Hmm to add some new blood. Really havnt done much flying., but since the 560XL was updated to 12 being flying that, helping ironing out bugs. not to many. Its pretty good for a first attempt. Just flight have updated there 52, Dr400 and TB10 20 to XP12, have them all, they also have a lot of input from Thandra I believe now. I like the small business  jets though low and slow around Hawaii still a fav. With seemingly rapid remove of NDBS and VORS here in AUS making VFR more a challenge especially with real, real weather. Can get really immersive in thunderstorms and rain.

Daemotron, You should fly on a network like IVAO and get live ATC. IVAO in Germany is loaded with live ATC. VFR flying in Europe is a little more restricted than the United States.

You were above the artic circle where it stays below freezing 300 days a year. I have flown into Goose Bay and Deadhorse. Deadhorse Alaska is where the main fuel supply for Northern Alaska. And the DA42 is one of my fleet aircraft for my VA Air Nevada.

And you have a plane with De Iceing fluid, Cheers! That is music to my ears, dude. Very nice flying story, hope see more flying stories in the Thread.

I, personally have crossed the artic circle under water in a submarine on October 1, 1979.

Edited by Rick310
more to the story.

5 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

but since the 560XL was updated to 12 being flying that, helping ironing out bugs.

I recently dropped a video on the Citation 560XL. I pulled no punches. I think it's a great airplane and the developer did a great job. He simply over priced it. I get why: that's his baby. Perhaps, in his mind this aircraft is the best biz jet, (barring the CL650) ever made. He may even have thought that at the cost it's under priced.  I like the developer. He's respectful, even in the face of harsh criticism. What I don't like is that he respectfully dismisses criticism rather than learning from feedback. Nevertheless, I do enjoy the plane - even if it is over priced, IMO.

• Like 1

Your comment regarding the manual is spot on - I looked at it and decided to not buy the aircraft. I don't have issues with online manuals, but there are tools to structure and organize them properly (e.g. Asciidoctor or Sphinx). Just compare it to the TOGA MU-2B manual (https://www.togasim.com/mu2docs/) which has been created with Sphinx.

28 minutes ago, VirtualGAaviator said:

@Rick310 Do you have any of Aerobask's Diamonds? The DA42, DA50 and DA62 has deicing. The DA50 is FAA (United State Federal Aviation Administration) FIKI certified. I believe the DA62 is also. Not sure about the DA42 but it has deicing too.

No sir. I never really had an interest in these aircraft. Maybe I need to try one.  Thank-you @VirtualGAaviator

@VirtualGAaviator Yes its his first, and pretty good for a first. Still has issues which I have pointed out. Hardest part is his insistence that is is realistic, as I pointed out its simply a slightly slower Citation X. Hopefully next update will fix the climb cruise performance in 12, got him onto the right person.  I think it wont take long to realise that XP users are rather obsessed with there aircraft, and if you say its real, it better be. But again, its his first, so we point him in the right direction and cut him some slack. Going to suggest next time just add the default FMS he would get some more buyers.

I am in Alaska. Route was 1L1 - 06u - S39 - KONP - CYAZ - CYZT - PAKT. In my Piper Arrow 3 by Just Flight. Only ran into iceing conditions once. Since I was flying the coast of southern Alaska, I was able to lower my altitude.

Edited by Rick310

Alaska is awesome. For the second time going through Merrill Pass. There is nothing like flying the canyons. Utah has some awesome canyons to fly in also. The Piper Arrow 3 is the perfect plane to  fly the canyons. The weather has been good, little haze and light rain going into Mcgrath, but no iceing. Bethel was socked in with low clouds and snow.

In my latest escapades, I've acquired a new aircraft and have been getting checked out in it. it is the Maule M7 by VFlyteAir.  I've also been working on renewing my type-rating for the King Air 350 and the Cirrus SR22 Integra, which were recently release for XP12. Finally, I been working on getting type-rated in the ZIBO. I've acquired the 737-300 a few days ago. I've yet to install it in XP11. It sounds like the XP12 version will come online soon. Fingers crossed.

Since I've recently expanded my flying to include charter and airline operations, I'm looking at what else might be dropping for regional jets for XP12. Kinda keeping an eye out for what's coming.

8 hours ago, VirtualGAaviator said:

In my latest escapades, I've acquired a new aircraft and have been getting checked out in it. it is the Maule M7 by VFlyteAir.  I've also been working on renewing my type-rating for the King Air 350 and the Cirrus SR22 Integra, which were recently release for XP12. Finally, I been working on getting type-rated in the ZIBO. I've acquired the 737-300 a few days ago. I've yet to install it in XP11. It sounds like the XP12 version will come online soon. Fingers crossed.

Since I've recently expanded my flying to include charter and airline operations, I'm looking at what else might be dropping for regional jets for XP12. Kinda keeping an eye out for what's coming.

Xcrafts Ejets are not far away,

Being flying the 560XL, its not a bad plane, being helping to improve climb performance, much better now, slower version on the Citation X. First aircraft they have done. Though I suggested they add avitab for all misc things and even use default FMS but they hesitant right now. Does have GPS. Quiet enjoying it but I do wish more people would comment on it.

14 hours ago, VirtualGAaviator said:

Yeap, I'm definitely watching the Ejets.

Mark7 is great. I really like him. I really hope the 560XL get its due. He's releasing an update soon. I plan to circle back and check out the airplane again.

Hi yes, will get at least the 175 I only need one, the xp11 version was good. Love the ejets. Yes 560 getting some love going to do a review at some stage, it has some quirks but flies well.

JustFlight has just updated the Duchess, and the two Archer packages - together with the Robin DR400, C152 and the TB10/TB20 package, that makes a total of 6 packages updated to XP12 on their end. Although nothing official was announced, that only leaves the Warrior and the two Arrow packages for the next batch, before they turn towards the Hawk, Vulcan and finally the Jumbolino.

Great weather this week in Alaska. I was able to get into Barrow. The temperature is hanging around the freezing point or a little below freezing. The JF Piper Arrow 3 is performing very well. I am up to 150 hours in the Arrow 3 and the landings are getting better and better. Air Nevada Virtual Airlines now has over 300 scheduled routes in Alaska and more on the way.

Flying everyday on the IVAO network. See ya all in the air soon.

I made a flight from Barrow to Bettles. At an altitude of 3500 ft VFR in the JF Piper Arrow 3. Just north of Bettles there was some 4000 to 5000 foot mountains. I jumped in the canyons and made my way south to Bettles. From Bettles I headed west to Nulato hills. The temp in Nulato was 0 degrees F. Looking at the airport cams for Nulato there was no snow on the ground, just very cold.

Alaska is the best flying in the world. I love it!!!!

VirtualGAaviator, You have stick to one plane to get the hours in that plane. Just saying, Dude.

On 5/22/2023 at 6:23 AM, Rick310 said:

Alaska is the best flying in the world. I love it!!!!

VirtualGAaviator, You have stick to one plane to get the hours in that plane. Just saying, Dude.

#1 - I agree.. I love Alaska and have most of the free (and paid) scenery/airport improvements that I could find.

#2 - I'm embarrassed to tell you how many planes I have. I normally stick to your plan of putting some hours in on the same plane,

but then I read an article (or Skunkcrafts says an update is ready)... and I'm off to the races.

Do you think the internet is giving me a short attention span? :lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blueb said:

Do you think the internet is giving me a short attention span?

Ok, I admit, I do not get it? The internet does not give me a short attention span. I am all ways searching for something. The internet has everything I want, Knowledge. 

Knowledge is power. But power, I do not have. My wife has all the power(Pus#$%).

Ok, lets get back to flying airplanes.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 8:23 AM, Rick310 said:

Agreed. Back in 2016-18 I flew basically two airplanes exclusively: the C172 and the Piper Arrow III/IV. I have a bunch of video on my YT channel in the Piper. At the time, I was trying to stick to aircraft I might actually fly IRL. Once I decided I am not going to finish pursuing my PPL, I decided I would fly whatever suits my fancy. Then I fell in love with the PC-12. Since the Citation X and the Challenger I've been transitioning to biz jets, which has segue to airliners. However, I always return to my pistons and turbo props for the love of those planes.

23 hours ago, Blueb said:

I'm embarrassed to tell you how many planes I have.

Same here @Blueb.  I tend to let my curiosity get in front of my wallet. I'll buy a GA airplane, usually around $25US, fly it a few times and  move on. Those I mark as a favorite, I'll return to for more flights.

BTW: I flew the PC-12 from the Congo to RDU (Raleigh-Durham International) similar to the way @Rick310 is flying through AK. If y'all haven't tried FSEconomy, then it worth a look. To move an aircraft from one location to another you have to fly it there. No teleporting.

• Like 1