RMI Scale rotation

Graeme_77

I've been flying some Instrument Rating test profiles, and have noticed the RMI card is not properly animated. The numbers, arrowed in dashed blue, do rotate as expected. The index, arrowed in solid red does not ever move and as a result makes radio nav instrument flying much more like using an old fixed card ADF. The index should rotate with the numbers, with the outer cardinal arrows remaining fixed in a similar manner to the HSI.  Compare witht the stock LR King Air, which has a similar instrument. 

image.thumb.png.ebf4d10e44c8ec298c0caacf41ad0cbc.png

Furthermore, when tracking away from an NDB, the needle will do a full sweep from -179 degrees (relative to heading) to +179 degrees swinging all the way around the scale. This is stock LR instrument behaviour, but not correct and really should just smoothly move the few degrees from "behind on the left" to "behind on the right". Perhaps this could be solved by decoupling the instruments from the stock LR datarefs and implementing custom logic? Or perhaps you can persuade LR to fix this misbehaviour?

Both issues shown in a very short video - you can see at the end that tracking away from a beacon will become pretty frustrating. https://streamable.com/bi0py9

21 minutes ago, Graeme_77 said:

The index should rotate with the numbers

Good catch Graeme.   Looks like that mesh got "decoupled" in my blender file during some editing and didn't get the animation directive.  Will fix.

21 minutes ago, Graeme_77 said:

This is stock LR instrument behaviour

I'll dig in a bit more....seems this was addressed at one point within Laminar...I can't be sure, but noted this post on my todos.

Thx!

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

@Graeme_77I got this mostly fixed.    In the one use case where you switch the knob between ADF / VOR, then the needle won't cross the 0º to get on the newly selected bearing....so depending on the delta between the tuned ADF/VOR relative bearings at the time of knob switching, the needle may swing "the long way around", i.e. more than 180º.   This specific use case constitutes a special "transition mode" that I'm not in any hurry to fix as it only rears its head for about 0.5 seconds when swapping the ADF/VOR knob position, but preserves the continuity of the animation, which I feel is important for the immersion.  

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 1