X-plane 12

Rick310

7 hours ago, VirtualGAaviator said:

I don't think anyone is developing for X-Plane 11 anymore. It has reached its pinnacle.

And where did you get that strange idea from??

@Rick310 Carenado got a bit demanding so Thandra now do their own planes, so you get best of both worlds. Mainly GA.

Edited by mjrhealth

1 hour ago, mjrhealth said:

@Rick310 Carenado got a bit demanding so Thandra now do their own planes, so you get best of both worlds. Mainly GA.

So what developers are still developing aircraft for X-Plane 11? I know one developer that is updating their aircraft for X-Plane 12 and will stop selling their aircraft for X-Plane 11. So I agree with VirtualGAaviator, I don't think any developer is making anymore planes for X-Plane 11. Unless you have information about developers still making planes for X-Plane 11 you would like to share?

I know Carenado and Thandra parted ways. Thandra aircraft are very good.

On 4/21/2023 at 1:45 PM, Rick310 said:

Thranda no longer works for Carenado? Does Carenado contract out to Thranda to do some work? From what I see the answer is no. Without Thranda, is Carenado able to develop aircraft for X-plane 11 or 12? Time will tell.

Thranda stopped working with Carenado back in 2019 and moved onto doing their own planes.
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/197780-thranda-and-xp11-carenado-c208/#comment-1803422
They do still work with Just Flight on their XP aircraft and just released on the first XP12 updates for the JF planes.

As for Carenado themselves there's zero evidence they have any interest in X-plane at all at the moment.

22 hours ago, Rick310 said:

So what developers are still developing aircraft for X-Plane 11? I know one developer that is updating their aircraft for X-Plane 12 and will stop selling their aircraft for X-Plane 11. So I agree with VirtualGAaviator, I don't think any developer is making anymore planes for X-Plane 11. Unless you have information about developers still making planes for X-Plane 11 you would like to share?

I know Carenado and Thandra parted ways. Thandra aircraft are very good.

Oh ignore me. topic was on 12 and brain saw 12. But there are still one or 2 who have planes that where being developed for 11, before 12 came along, which of course would probably be the last than be updated to 12.

X-Crafts is still developing for v11 - their upcoming E-Jets v2 address both simulators. But that's it as far as I'm aware - LES dropped plans for an XP11 version of the DC-3 v2 only recently - cf. this post:

TorqueSim has two new aircraft in the pipeline (Citation and Mooney), but I guess they'll be XP12 only (iirc no official statement exists on that subject though, so I might be wrong). Aerobask dropped XP11 as platform for new products (notably the 8x) already last year. The COWS DA42 is XP12 only as well, the same applies for the other new developments I'm aware of.

Other developers were caught off guard by XP12 (still not sure how they managed to miss this, but...) - FSS e.g. had a Cessna 421C in the making for X-Plane 11, but the project seems to have vanished.

16 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

Oh ignore me. topic was on 12 and brain saw 12. But there are still one or 2 who have planes that where being developed for 11, before 12 came along, which of course would probably be the last than be updated to 12.

No Sir, I did not ignore you. I wanted information and you gave to me. Thanks.

Edited by Rick310

On 4/21/2023 at 4:45 PM, mjrhealth said:

Admittedly, I haven't read it anywhere. Also I said, "I don't think..."  Of course, nothing is carved in stone and there are exceptions to almost every rule. For the most part, no one is developing for XP11. I think there are few devs who might provide a patch or two. I'm not saying or implying that anyone should stop enjoying XP11. It's a great sim. Me, personally, I have a bunch of aircraft that if I want to fly I have to load up 11.

14 hours ago, VirtualGAaviator said:

Admittedly, I haven't read it anywhere. Also I said, "I don't think..."  Of course, nothing is carved in stone and there are exceptions to almost every rule. For the most part, no one is developing for XP11. I think there are few devs who might provide a patch or two. I'm not saying or implying that anyone should stop enjoying XP11. It's a great sim. Me, personally, I have a bunch of aircraft that if I want to fly I have to load up 11.

One reason I will not buy xp12 is because of aircraft availability. The information I am getting from the thread sounds like developers are working very hard to get aircraft for xp12. Cheers!

I can fully understand developers being careful about releasing their upgrades now. XP12 is a great experience, but Laminar isn't really done yet with tuning and adjusting things. With Zink they even introduced a major change that was probably planned for 12.0 originally, but got delayed for whatever reasons. It has been the same with XP11; the first few post-release updates (iirc up to 11.10) were breaking add-ons over and over again. There is one more pending big change I see coming, and that will be addressing VR support (probably entailing changes to parts of the SDK). If that one's rolled out, things might settle down a bit (Laminar adjusting & improving things like VRAM management or AA won't break add-on aircraft).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rick310 said:

One reason I will not buy xp12 is because of aircraft availability. The information I am getting from the thread sounds like developers are working very hard to get aircraft for xp12.

Makes sense. Right now, the Maule M-7 s the only native XP12 STOL plane I own, aside from the default aircraft. I have a lot of STOL aircraft in XP11. Kudos about the devs.

Edited by VirtualGAaviator
clarity
  • Like 1

Plenty of good aircraft for Xplane12. Freeware Zibomod is consitently being improved, the A330 is getting a freeware update. Citation X is very good.

Than we have Airfoil KA350, Citation 560XL, first release but pretty good . FJSQ400, stll needs some optimizing, Just flight Dr400, TB10,20, C152,  Thandra have a few I believe Kodiak is in the pipe line right now, All Vskylabs are XPLANE 12 and he has a lot, X-craft will be releasing theres soon, plenty there if you look, waiting on the 737 from here

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

Plenty of good aircraft for Xplane12. Freeware Zibomod is consitently being improved, the A330 is getting a freeware update. Citation X is very good.

Than we have Airfoil KA350, Citation 560XL, first release but pretty good . FJSQ400, stll needs some optimizing, Just flight Dr400, TB10,20, C152,  Thandra have a few I believe Kodiak is in the pipe line right now, All Vskylabs are XPLANE 12 and he has a lot, X-craft will be releasing theres soon, plenty there if you look, waiting on the 737 from here

Agreed. I think our virtual hangers look alike. I have the same aircraft except for the FJS Q400 and the TB10 & 20.  I can fly everyone of them OK but none of them well. My sim friends keep saying I should focus on 1 aircraft. It's people like me who devs love. I'm going to buy and fly it at least once. Sheesh! No wonder this hobby is expensive for me. Still looking forward to the IXEG 733 (new purchase) and the MU-2 Marquise (upgrade).

• Like 2

I had left X-Plane 12 alone for a while & started it up again a few days ago. What a mess!

It updated to version 12.04. But 12.05 betas are also available. So more fixes are coming.

I launched the ZIBO 737 & XP12 promptly crashed, something about vulkan. The workaround is to start in another aircraft & then switch to the ZiBO. And that seems to work, except that the performance is really bad. Xlua seems to be taking a large amount of fps away.

I switched to the A330. Then I find out that the A330 has issues &  is getting fixes from LR as XP12 fixes are rolled out.

Meanwhile, there are aircraft & non-aircraft add-ons/plugins that are still in limbo & no news on if they're going to be updated to work on XP12.

If I were a developer, I'd be tearing my hair out.

At this rate, it's going to take a year before XP12 is actually usable. Back to XP11 it is.

Just WOW!

• Downvote 1

Flight simulation can be frustrating. Frustration is one of the reasons I could never gasp the other flight simulator. Nevertheless, for good or bad, I made the choice to use XP12 as my primary sim. At one point, I could hardly complete a flight due to sim crashes. For the most part, the crashes have subsided - although yesterday it crashed during a video recording 3/5th through a flight.  It does appear that LR is accepting the auto-generated crash reports.

For the most part, I am enjoying XP12 immensely. I miss some of the aircraft that has been promised via upgrades to XP12. I've come to accept that so far, XP12 has been a slog for LR. We all wanted it to be a sprint. I'm sticking with XP12 because I believe in the end the pains and delays will be worth it. I would rather the LR and 3rd party developers take the time to get XP12 right than to make the time to fix mistake due to rushing. You are smart, @scooke7 to remain with XP11 until XP12 matures a bit more. XP12, in its current offering, can be extremely taxing, especially in class C and class B airspace. Yes, there is work to be done in XP12, but I'm confident the work is being done. As I said, I am enjoying XP12. There's no better feeling than to simulator a flight from planning and preflight to landing and shutdown in either version.

Funny, I never had issues with CTDs (apart from those caused by third-party addons, or by segfaults I built into my own plugins :rolleyes:) since the first early access version of XP12. I was expecting a far worse experience in early access, but found that (vanilla) XP12 was pretty solid right from the beginning on. After 12.00 became final, I stopped hopping onto the betas though, since I need a halfway stable platform for my purposes.

What I will never get: people are disappointed to experience crashes when they run add-ons explicitly marked as experimental (e.g. Zibo for XP12), and then blame the platform for the experienced issues. If you want a stable experience with XP12, then restrict your flying to aircraft which are marked final by their developers. If your favorite aircraft isn't yet out of beta for XP12, stick with XP11.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2023 at 5:11 PM, scooke7 said:

I had left X-Plane 12 alone for a while & started it up again a few days ago. What a mess!

It updated to version 12.04. But 12.05 betas are also available. So more fixes are coming.

I launched the ZIBO 737 & XP12 promptly crashed, something about vulkan. The workaround is to start in another aircraft & then switch to the ZiBO. And that seems to work, except that the performance is really bad. Xlua seems to be taking a large amount of fps away.

I switched to the A330. Then I find out that the A330 has issues &  is getting fixes from LR as XP12 fixes are rolled out.

Meanwhile, there are aircraft & non-aircraft add-ons/plugins that are still in limbo & no news on if they're going to be updated to work on XP12.

If I were a developer, I'd be tearing my hair out.

At this rate, it's going to take a year before XP12 is actually usable. Back to XP11 it is.

Just WOW!

Havnt touched XP11 since 12 came out, in fact it no longer resides on my PC. 12 is perfectly useable, for every 1 person saying is so bad, there is probably 10 out there in silence happily flying it

• Upvote 1

I run add-ons. However, I restrict them to those that have been tested and rated for XP12. There simply no way I could enjoy a vanilla sim. I enjoy my aircraft addons so I run Gizmo and other scripting add-ons as needed. I love my ortho, X-Camera, Traffic Global, Real Sim Gear 500, and other add-ons like the PilotEdge plugin and Xpilot for Vatsim. If any of these are causing an occasional CTD than the inconvenience is worth it. The only plugin that I know has caused CTDs so far is TG or Traffic Global. Then there's Spad.neXt for my external hardware. Making X-Plane as immersive as possible is almost a hobby within the hobby. For me, I couldn't imagine running XP12 out of the box with only the default aircraft. So I say, live and let live. We all have our own expectations for simming and mine doesn't invalidate anyone's expectations and vice-versa.

I enjoy simming so much that I hang out in these forums and look for opportunities to share and give back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VirtualGAaviator said:

I run add-ons. However, I restrict them to those that have been tested and rated for XP12. There simply no way I could enjoy a vanilla sim. I enjoy my aircraft addons so I run Gizmo and other scripting add-ons as needed. I love my ortho, X-Camera, Traffic Global, Real Sim Gear 500, and other add-ons like the PilotEdge plugin and Xpilot for Vatsim. If any of these are causing an occasional CTD than the inconvenience is worth it. The only plugin that I know has caused CTDs so far is TG or Traffic Global. Then there's Spad.neXt for my external hardware. Making X-Plane as immersive as possible is almost a hobby within the hobby. For me, I couldn't imagine running XP12 out of the box with only the default aircraft. So I say, live and let live. We all have our own expectations for simming and mine doesn't invalidate anyone's expectations and vice-versa.

I enjoy simming so much that I hang out in these forums and look for opportunities to share and give back.

Do you know gizmo has been split and is now available as an aircraft plugin and a lighter-weight xa drm global plugin? 

CTDs don't fly with me. every time I added new scernery in Microsoft flight simulator 2004, I would run the risk of a CTD because of a corrupt scenery file. I started useing xp11 in 2019 and I have had less the 5 CTDs. Main cause was one third party plugin. And the developer has fixed the issue.

XP12 in this forum there are mainly good things said about the sim. But go to Avsim.com, or flightsim.com and read the BS there. You would not buy XP12.

A new computer is coming soon for me. I9, 64 gb ram, NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4090 (24 GB GDDR6X dedicated), and 1 tb ssd. Then I will see what xp11 really looks like with the grapics turned up MAX. I hope???

I plan to buy xp12 in 2 years. By then it will be a great sim with lots of aircraft available to choose from. 

23 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

Havnt touched XP11 since 12 came out, in fact it no longer resides on my PC. 12 is perfectly useable, for every 1 person saying is so bad, there is probably 10 out there in silence happily flying it

And for every 1 of those 10, there are probably some number who bought it & are not using it.

So, I have a FlyWithLua script that refers to a dataref: laminar/B738/toggle_switch/vhf_nav_source.

It was working in an earlier XP12 release.

FWL suddenly decided to quarantine the script because the dataref was no longer available. True enough it seemed the dataref had been removed.

So, I simply replaced the dataref with an alternative:  laminar/B738/toggle_switch/vhf_nav_source_lft. And FWL quarantines the script again with the complaint that this dataref was also not available.

My point is not about the error although it is an issue. But it's a beta release. So some things won't work.

But imagine the time spent on this & other bugs like this when I could have used that time flying.

I don't want to turn this thread into a school yard level argument like the "community leaders" do in the other forum. I simply state my experience with XP12 & will let readers decide for themselves what to do.

Apologies for this rant.

• Upvote 1