Pre-compiled version with ARM64 support?

RubbrDug

Hello and thanks for the great project. I am just starting to dive into X-Plane 12, having a long flight sim history dating back to MS Flight Simulator 3.0. I always stayed a casual sim pilot, flying mostly the Cessna. Had plans for getting a real PPL-A for years, but never found the time.

I am on a Macbook with the M2 processor. And I have a Loupedeck Live here.

I tried to follow the installation procedure for the XMidiCtrl, but for now it fails with an error in the log.txt: 

dlerror:dlopen(/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl, 0x0006): tried: '/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl' (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have 'x86_64', need 'arm64')), '/System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/OS/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl' (no such file), '/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl' (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have 'x86_64', need 'arm64'))

Obviously, the ARM64 version is missing. I hope it can be added to the binaries. 

Regards and happy flying to you all,

RubbrDug

Edited by RubbrDug
added some info

dlerror:dlopen(/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl, 0x0006): tried: '/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl' (code signature in <607B163F-53F5-39BA-917E-3BB185DD391C> '/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl' not valid for use in process: library load disallowed by system policy), '/System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/OS/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl' (no such file), '/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl' (code signature in <607B163F-53F5-39BA-917E-3BB185DD391C> '/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl' not valid for use in process: library load disallowed by system policy)

Seems it's just about signing the code, as usual, and macOS or X-Plane has changed the handling of it.

16 minutes ago, VirtualCPT said:

Hey,

I'm currently working on an option to sign the code. Unfortunately, that means changing the entire building process which will take me a couple of days.

Did you get it do work?

Thanks,
Marco

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Security/Conceptual/CodeSigningGuide/Procedures/Procedures.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40005929-CH4-SW2

Search the page for "Signing Code Manually" .. you can sign binaries from the Terminal...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 3:33 AM, RubbrDug said:
dlerror:dlopen(/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl, 0x0006): tried: '/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl' (code signature in <607B163F-53F5-39BA-917E-3BB185DD391C> '/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl' not valid for use in process: library load disallowed by system policy), '/System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/OS/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl' (no such file), '/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl' (code signature in <607B163F-53F5-39BA-917E-3BB185DD391C> '/Users/RubbrDug/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64/XMidiCtrl.xpl' not valid for use in process: library load disallowed by system policy)

Seems it's just about signing the code, as usual, and macOS or X-Plane has changed the handling of it.

https://x-plane.helpscoutdocs.com/article/26-mac-xpl-not-starting

Thanks for trying to help, but this doesn't work under macOS Ventura. Systems preferences have changed and no recently blocked file shows up in the menu. Instead, when starting X-Plane, macOS shows a message (2 times actually) that the XMidiCtrl.xpl File is damaged and recommends moving it to the trash.

On the other hand, maybe the problem isn't the signing of the file. The Error message contains a comment 'mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have 'x86_64', need 'arm64')'.

Edited by RubbrDug

I downloaded v1.04

It contains a "fat plugin" binary with both x86_64 and arm64 segments present.

There is definitely a glitch with the signed status of the file.

It claims it is unsigned yet attempting to sign it with my own Apple Dev cert fails.

I was able to get the plugin working by extracting the arm64 portion of the plugin and renaming some files.

cd ~/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64

mv XMidiCtrl.xpl fat.xpl

lipo fat.xpl -extract arm64 -output XMidiCtrl.xpl 

After extraction X-Plane 12 starts without error and XMidiCtrl was present.

The lipo tool might not be available if you don't have Xcode installed...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ben Russell said:

I downloaded v1.04

It contains a "fat plugin" binary with both x86_64 and arm64 segments present.

There is definitely a glitch with the signed status of the file.

It claims it is unsigned yet attempting to sign it with my own Apple Dev cert fails.

I was able to get the plugin working by extracting the arm64 portion of the plugin and renaming some files.

cd ~/X-Plane 12/Resources/plugins/XMidiCtrl/mac_x64

mv XMidiCtrl.xpl fat.xpl

lipo fat.xpl -extract arm64 -output XMidiCtrl.xpl 

After extraction X-Plane 12 starts without error and XMidiCtrl was present.

The lipo tool might not be available if you don't have Xcode installed...

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for taking the time to check my plugin. I don't own a Mac and cannot test the macOS version of the plugin. So far I cross compiled the macOS version on Ubuntu Linux. However, I recently started to use GitActions instead which allows me to compile directly on macOS.

Do you have any idea how I can fix this problem?

Signing the plugin isn't an option, as I don't have an Apple Developer Subscription :-(

Thanks,
Marco

16 hours ago, RubbrDug said:

How cool is that! Don't know why and what you did there with 'lipo' but it did the trick. 

Thank you! Where did I put my Loupedeck?

Attached you will find new new version, which was built directly on macOS instead of Linux. Would you mind testing this version if the lipo step is still required?

Many thanks!

XMidiCtrl_GitHub_Build.zip

think this version does it. After installing the ToLiss A319 I had to run X-Plane 12 under Rosetta (Interpreter for Intel-Code on ARM-Macs), because the ToLiss Airplanes aren't ready for ARM yet. This broke the install with the 'lipo'-trick. I installed your build from above and it works just fine. Manually allowing the execution is, of course, still required. 

Edited by RubbrDug
  • Like 1