Burry Textures

richjb

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to use HS CL650 in XP12 with ver 1.71.  I have noticed that the texture quality is not as good as in XP11.  I understand that this still may be work-in-progress.  However, sometimes the texture quality is so bad as to render the instrument panel that I'm viewing as unusable.  An example is attached, which is from the start of the Power Up - First Flight checklist.  I have an RTX 2060 graphics card. I'm using driver version 527.56, which I recently upgraded to.  XP11 is not affected.  I have v 1.71 running in XP11 and the textures are normal, which is to say unchanged from previous versions. 

The XP12 exterior scenery looks normal, although to be honest, I do not play with XP12 that much. I have only been flying the Shenshee B720 in XP12. For comparison purposes, I have included a screen shot of the Citation X default aircraft from XP12.

First question: Do I have any incompatible graphic settings with HS CL650?  If so, what needs to be changed?

Second question:  Is my graphics card too week to run HS CL650?  Do I need to get the 8GB card instead of my current 6 GB card?

Final question: Do I need to wait just a bit longer before using HS CL650 in XP12?  I'm happy with the XP11 version.  Would like to use the XP12 version, especially since it is winter! :) However, that's not a deal breaker. 

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Rich Boll

Wichita KS

983201883_BlurryTexture-Overhead.png

XP12 Graphic Settings.png

1031350706_BlurryTexture-Overhead_bad.png

1973302017_XP12CitationX_Forcomparisonpurposes.png

X-Plane 12 has a new way of dealing with textures, and that's why you're seeing this . You are likely exhausting VRAM, as XP12 is quite a bit more demanding in that area.

My suggestion to you would be to go one notch down on your texture quality setting and maybe some of the others, like occlusion. 

Maximum with 6GB is definitely pushing it, also assuming the 6GB option was selected when installing Chally. Higher SSAO and anti-aliasing might use more VRAM, but not sure on that.

10 hours ago, richjb said:

Do I need to get the 8GB card instead of my current 6 GB card?

If you’re buying a new GPU in 2023 better it be at least 12 GB (and Nvidia for X-Plane purposes).

Thanks Cameron & Pils!

I was not aware of the XP12's new processes.  I will back the sliders down.  I though any issues would show up as loss of frame rates, etc.  Since the rates were good.

I'm trying to hold off on buying a new video card in hopes that the prices continue to drop. 

I'll make these changes and see how things work!  Thanks for the feedback!

Rich 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Cameron and Pils….or anyone else, 

I am looking at purchasing either a RTX 3060 or a RTX 3060Ti.  The 3060 has 12GB of VRAM.  The 3060Ti is considerably faster, but limited to 8GB of VRAM.  Supposedly, the 3060 is only about 20-25% faster than my current RTX 2060, not a huge increase.  However, it has more VRAM which appears to be what XP12 wants…er…needs????  The 3060Ti is much faster, but limited in VRAM for could effect texture quality in the future.

For XP12, which is the better option?  Is it the speed of the Ti or the VRAM?  I’m not willing to shell out $800 plus for a 4000 series card or even  3090.  Im just not willing to go there.   I can get the 3060 for $360 and Ti for $100 more.  

Which is the best way to go? I fly both XP12 and MSFS 2020   

Thanks for your help!!!

Rich Boll

3 hours ago, Pils said:

The question is, are you limited by the CPU? Most people are.

Hi Pils,

I have an i9 9900K with 32 GB of RAM. It’s not the fastest, but it’s not a slouch.  I did NOT win the CPU lottery. I have been mostly unable to OC the CPU.    I can only run stable at 4.7.  I have a good Corsair cooling system and a ASUS ROB MB.  I believe the MB let me down a bit.  I do not want to replace the computer at this point. My upgrade plans usually involve a mid-life upgrade in graphic cards, which is where I’m at now.  

is the i9 9900K not good enough any more?  

XP11 was not bad with HS CL650.  

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Rich

7 hours ago, FYG001 said:

Hi Rich,

I have the RTX 3060 with 12GB and only managing 30 FPS max with XP12 and CL60 1.7, so not impressed with that one

Thanks FYG001!

That’s good information!  I’m getting about 20 FPS with the settings above, but backed down to the first notch from the right. 

I am concerned that the 3060Ti’s 8 GB of VRAM will leave me still with blurry textures, especially if I reinstall HS CL650 with the 8GB VRAM option, which I would really like to do.  

Newegg does not have 3070, 3070Ti, or 3080 cards with more than 8GB of VRAM.  The rest of the cards at too expensive.  

Is 8GB of VRAM enough for XP12?

Thanks!

Rich

4 hours ago, birdy.dma said:

Hi Rich

What is your screen resolution ? 8GB for sure will be enough for a 1920 * 1080 screen.

2560 x 1440

I sharpened my pencils a bit, and I might be able to do a RTX 3070: GIGABYTE Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card GV-N3070GAMING OC-8GD (rev. 2.0) (LHR) - Newegg.com

That card is at the very upper end of what I can afford, but there is some "future proofing" in getting this card.  

I'm still concerned that 8GB of VRAM might not be enough.

Thanks

Rich

44 minutes ago, FYG001 said:

Hi Pils, CPU is running at approx 50 pct, GPU is never below 95 pct. So looks problem is definitely down to the RTX 3060

The numbers from task manager are far from the full story, but that does suggest you are closer to the GPU limit on your system.

1 hour ago, richjb said:

Does it sound like the RTX 3070 would be a better card than either of the 3060 cards?

Hi Rich,

I would love to say definitively one way or the other, but it's just not possible, there's too many variables. My guess is that your current CPU will be the limiting factor for your framerate, not the GPU processor itself, and as such more GPU performance would be "surplus" (I can only speak for X-Plane here mind, MSFS might be different). However, more VRAM can always be used regardless of your CPU performance, if that makes sense. On the flip side, if you intend to later upgrade the CPU/motherboard and/or monitor (4K), but keep the same GPU then investing in a more powerful GPU now may make more sense. Either way, it's just guesswork as I don't have personal experience with any of the cards you've mentioned, unfortunately.

Edited by Pils

11 hours ago, Pils said:

Hi Rich,

I would love to say definitively one way or the other, but it's just not possible, there's too many variables. My guess is that your current CPU will be the limiting factor for your framerate, not the GPU processor itself, and as such more GPU performance would be "surplus" (I can only speak for X-Plane here mind, MSFS might be different). However, more VRAM can always be used regardless of your CPU performance, if that makes sense. On the flip side, if you intend to later upgrade the CPU/motherboard and/or monitor (4K), but keep the same GPU then investing in a more powerful GPU now may make more sense. Either way, it's just guesswork as I don't have personal experience with any of the cards you've mentioned, unfortunately.

Thanks Pils!

I was not planning on a CPU/MB upgrade anytime soon.  It's going to take some serious degradation of performance before I will make that leap.  

Is there a way to tell in XP which is more limited, or how you are being limited by any particular graphics settings or combination thereof?

Thanks,

Rich