Random XP12 MU2 'bugs' I've noticed

Leviathan

Put some serious time in over the past few weeks - genuinely super excited for v12 support and I'm convinced this is going to be my favourite plane for a very long time. I've been using the GPS variant (not the G500, but RXP 530) and the lack of the same old Garmin G1000 has been incredibly fun and challenging. I was going to buy the G500 addon but I think I like the dials and switches way too much to go glass now - the retro challenge is half the fun with this bird for me at least. And it has been challenging indeed.. 

I thought I'd let Tom know about some of the XP12 specific issues, although I assume most (hopefully not all - otherwise this is a waste of everybody's time) of these are already known. I apologise in advanced for any of these that are my fault and not the plane's!

• When starting a new flight, the MU2 preferences don't seem to use the saved preferences from previous flights until the MU2 Preferences window is opened. You can test this by setting the pilot to NOT appear in external view, but if you start a new flight he will appear until you open and close the MU2 preferences window.
  • The rotating beacon light under the plane shines through the floor at night - I will attach a screenshot. 
  • The wheels poke ever so slightly out of the Dolly Partons when the gear is fully raised.

A lot of my issues are presumably because this version hasn't been ported to v12 yet, but for me I find it extremely difficult to land this plane because it floats so much - I'd say 80% of my landings are above 400fpm. Totally possible I'm just bad at flying it, but given the changes to the XP12 flight model I'm sure that's part of it. I noticed the Thranda Grand Caravan also has really bad floating issues and it also isn't yet XP12 compatible. 

The engines don't seem quite right, but again I'm assuming these XP12 compatibility issues:

• Over torquing the plane seems to do nothing, even at greater than 120% torque for long periods.
  • The oil temp never seems to go above 85C no matter the ambient temperature, altitude, or power setting.
  • This could be user error, but when I start the plane my props are always in reverse - as far as I can tell I'm following the Normal Procedures properly (ie., doing the tests) but I always have to put the throttle into reverse and the props at T/O Landing right after starting up, otherwise I just sit on the ramp at reverse thrust (with the beta lights on).

Anti-ice seems to be not modelled? Last night flying in Brazil I had all the anti-ice systems maxed and still accumulated so much ice (at 23k feet) that I stalled and the AP switched off. I'm assuming this has to do at least partly with the changes to icing that were made in XP12.

• Flying with the landing lights extended past 175knots (even at cruise speeds) doesn't seem to do much of anything and presumably isn't modelled in XP12 yet.

On the ground, I basically have to keep my brakes on 80% of the way or the plane will idle up to taxi at speeds of knots or more - that's with the props and power both set to taxi and ground idle, but I think I might just have my reverse power settings incorrect because I can't seem to get the power to ever go 'ground idle' - it just goes reverse after going into the checkered region of the power lever quadrant. This one may very well be user error.

Absolutely loving the plane and can't wait for v12.

Merry Christmas and happy new year.

light.png

Edited by Leviathan

• Leviathan changed the title to Random XP12 MU2 'bugs' I've noticed

Really appreciate it, Tom. 

Some of these are very likely my fault, particularly the prop locks routine after startup.

One other thing I noticed earlier tonight was that on a fresh install of X-Plane 12 I was having serious difficulties getting the RXP 750 heading mode to work. Basically if the 750 was in the panel and selected as ‘master gps’, once I swapped from Heading to GPS on the switch it would TRY to track the appropriate heading, but at like 60 degree angles and then the AP would disconnect. This doesn’t happen at all with the 530, which works great. 

Enjoy your holidays, sir. 

*fresh install where the only add on I had installed was the 750. Was also trying to get the RSG G500 to work but that’s a mess atm and crashes my sim regardless of which plane I fly if the plug-in is running, even on a clean install . 

Edited by Leviathan

I'd add:
- All external lights are not shining in external view at day for me in XP12. Works OK at night.
- If HDG was enabled when TCS button presses - it is not activating back on release. (Probably not a bug).
- ILS not captured even enabled, tuned and alinged on approach path(not retested yet)
- Instruments' glass in cocpit are very reflective (Could be fixed with texture replacement (in parallel thread))
- Instruments' needles and FD have reflective area around them. (Probably not a bug and also same fix works as for reflections).
- Even carpet in cockpit is now reflecting light sometime :)

Re: GTN750 - no issues for me on following track, tho I saw similar behaviour when forgot to switch GTN from VLOC(do not remember exact name(button to the left from OBS button on GTN screen)) to GPS mode.

P.S. Amazing model of amazing plane anyway! Thank you!

Fix for extental Lights for daylight.
Note: Beacon texture will lit, but not blinking, rest are ok.

Add numbers in BOLD below to \External Lights\objects\LIT_Items\LIT_Items_Exterior.obj

ATTR_light_level    0    1    sim/flightmodel2/lights/landing_lights_brightness_ratio[0]    5000
        TRIS    0 108
    ANIM_end
    ANIM_begin
    ANIM_trans    0.39082    -0.44902    0.59785002    0.39082    -0.44902    0.59785002
    ANIM_rotate    0    1    0    -21.729424    -21.729424
    ANIM_rotate    0    0    -1    19.128196    19.128196
    ANIM_rotate    1    0    0    82.559781    82.559781
    ANIM_rotate_begin    -0.00000001    -0.00000001    -1    xscenery/mu2b60/anim/right_landing_light_extension
    ANIM_rotate_key    0    0
    ANIM_rotate_key    1    76.634217
    ANIM_rotate_end
        ATTR_light_level    0    1    sim/flightmodel2/lights/landing_lights_brightness_ratio[1]    5000
        TRIS    108 108
    ANIM_end
    ATTR_light_level    0    1    sim/flightmodel2/lights/generic_lights_brightness_ratio[76]    5000
    TRIS    4380 72
    ATTR_light_level    0    1    sim/flightmodel2/lights/generic_lights_brightness_ratio[77]    5000
    TRIS    4308 72
    ATTR_no_shadow
    ATTR_light_level    0    1    sim/flightmodel2/lights/nav_lights_brightness_ratio[0]    2500
    TRIS    216 1140
    ATTR_shadow
    ATTR_light_level    0    1    sim/cockpit/electrical/beacon_lights_on    2500
    TRIS    1356 1056
    ATTR_no_shadow
    ATTR_light_level    0    1    sim/flightmodel2/lights/nav_lights_brightness_ratio[0]    2500
    TRIS    2412 420
    ATTR_shadow
    TRIS    2832 420
    ATTR_light_level    0    1    sim/cockpit/electrical/beacon_lights_on    2500
    TRIS    3252 1056

• Like 2

Also, I changed Main gear damping constant to 812 (from 512). I do not know if it is right number, but plane now won't falling on the tip-tanks if the Pilot makes more effort than just touching the rudder while taxiing or sneezing in the cockpit while looking to the side window. You still can flip it to the side doing hard-rudder with good speed.
There is also no bouncing.

• Like 1

Thx @OneOffRegistrationUser (love the name...don't like typing it) :)

....for others.... these types of changes will be in for the XP12 update; however, what OneOffRegistrationUser has provided are effective patches for those interested in making the manual tweaks until the update comes out.    I'm currently making a hard run at the IXEG, but the MU2 is hard on its heels and nagging and will get more love relatively quickly....thanks again to OneOffRegistration user for providing some stop-gap options until then.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Adding few bits:
1. Cocpit Night Lighting, Pointers for the following instruments are not lit (rest are OK): Main fuel, Outer fuel, Tip fuel, Cabin pressure Up\Down, Voltage(?).
2. Yaw damper seems doing nothing when enabled. Also it is enabled right after Radios turned On.
3. Heading Indicator pointer is not transparent in the middle, between orange things. Easy fix in PS or Gimp by deleting few pixels.

Edited by OneOffRegistrationUser