Visual issues with XP12

MediocreGorilla

Hi everyone,

thanks for the latest update and XP12 support, absolutely loving it!

I came across some smaller issues with how the model renders in XP12 (and some missing polys) and I'd like to pass those on.

First and foremost, some areas of the plane seem to have a material assigned that just renders the sky. You can see this primarily at the edges of the windows and shades:

4.thumb.PNG.687496381ffaccba25ebe1da5c1989a8.PNG

But it is also creating see-throughs at various other areas of the plane as basically the entire inside of the model is using that material. This area has not been an issue in XP11 for example:

5.thumb.PNG.6aaf75b8677d36cd2db412a8211f5b29.PNG

The culling on the rear door is a bit too ambitions and culls the door frame which should remain visible:

3B.thumb.PNG.f09531e8c79223d9970e77080b1fb3b3.PNG3A.PNG.2c7843caee007f9e6fff578884bda18a.PNG

The emergency exit is either missing a seal all around it's edges or it's the same odd material as mentioned previously:

2.thumb.PNG.54cf641fb61998e8e20ab8711592f431.PNG

And there's some small gaps at the ceiling towards the cockpit:

1.thumb.PNG.d7f2f66fdf7dc5380951ddebf9f81f32.PNG

It would be amazing if you looked into those at some point. :)

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Johannes

That's quite the eye you have.  

I'll address each one.  

I can't do anything about this one.  It was brought up in XP12 testing, and I checked it.  The mesh is there, but it's the way X-Plane 12 renders lighting that gives this result.

13 hours ago, MediocreGorilla said:

4.thumb.PNG.687496381ffaccba25ebe1da5c1989a8.PNG

I'm guessing you're talking about the visible seam in the nose equipment bay doors.  The nose equipment bay will be added in the next update, however, it's likely the seams will still be visible, as we do something called an "object kill" if objects are not visible.  This helps with performance, but shows a sliver of background light.

5.thumb.PNG.6aaf75b8677d36cd2db412a8211f5b29.PNG

Another example of object kill.  The object that is getting killed is behind the door.  The problem with fixing it on that side of the door, by adding it to the cabin, is that it will be culled when on the other side of the door.  Other than not killing the object, there's nothing we can do about this one.

3B.thumb.PNG.f09531e8c79223d9970e77080b1fb3b3.PNG3A.PNG.2c7843caee007f9e6fff578884bda18a.PNG

This is another object kill.  When not in the cabin, the cabin is killed.  Purely for performance reasons.  If the cabin isn't killed, X-Plane loads the mesh and textures, and the computer hardware takes a hit.

2.thumb.PNG.54cf641fb61998e8e20ab8711592f431.PNG

I'll look into this one.  It may be another X-Plane issue with the lighting.

1.thumb.PNG.d7f2f66fdf7dc5380951ddebf9f81f32.PNG

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response and looking into those!

11 hours ago, Goran_M said:

This is another object kill.  When not in the cabin, the cabin is killed.  Purely for performance reasons.  If the cabin isn't killed, X-Plane loads the mesh and textures, and the computer hardware takes a hit.

I get all the object killing, however for my unterstanding, the seal around the emergency exit shouldn't be part of the cabin and thus not be killed on the exterior, should it?

On another note, a little idea that came to my mind regard the killing: I wonder if it was possible to make it an option disabling it altogether? With XP12, I (and probably many other users) gained a quite substancial performance headroom that could easily suck up those additional meshes without any issues and eliminate some downsides coming along with the technique.

Just an idea, maybe it's only four lines of code to happiness... ^_^

Cheers!

11 hours ago, MediocreGorilla said:

I get all the object killing, however for my unterstanding, the seal around the emergency exit shouldn't be part of the cabin and thus not be killed on the exterior, should it?

Yes, there is a seam around the emergency exit, but the seal for that seam is on the interior.  I suppose I could add something and make it part of the exterior to block it off.

• Like 2