[SOLVED] HUD projection

Finlayson

Hello all,

I have been flying the CL650 in XP11 for a while and have invested quite some time into the "perfect setup" for my tastes, configuring X-Camera, Keybinds, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, adding some FlyWithLua scripting, you probably know the drill when getting a new aircraft into the virtual hangar.

In order to make the CL650 HUD work with my X-Camera pilot view camera position, I have modified the CL650 hud_projection.obj accordingly. This still works fine even in the latest CL650 v1.7 in XP11. But it does no longer work in XP12. It seems the projection surface defined in hud_projection.obj is completely ignored in XP12.

It seems unlikely that this has something to do with XP12 per se. I would suspect that the CL650 v1.7 XP12 version (which differs significantly from the XP11 version) handles the HUD differently.

So, the question then is: is this a bug or a feature? My fear is that it is a feature...

Before you tell me to move the camera back to the default position and leave it there, let me elaborate why that is not an acceptable solution.

In my case, I have a 1440p 27" monitor, and given the viewing distance in my setup a FOV of 60 degrees is appropriate. That will result in a "true to life" feeling/scaling of the 3D cockpit and outsides, and together with X-Camera and/or TrackIR is a good/acceptable setting. Other people with other monitor sizes and/or viewing distances might prefer different FOVs.

Now, the problem with a larger FOV is that by definition it makes everything outside the cockpit very small. So you get a better overview of your cockpit, but cannot see any slightly distant details outside, and you get that unnatural fish-eye effect.

When setting up a workable pilot view in the CL650 cockpit with a FOV of 60 degrees, I end up with a camera position that does not allow me to view the HUD correctly, hence my hack of the hud_projection.obj.

I guess other people have done the same, so it would be very much appreciated if this behavior (working hud_projection.obj) could be restored in the XP12 version of the CL650.

I realize that in the real plane, you have to adjust your seat such that you line up the eye position indicator (which is in fact modeled in the CL650). However, this is a simulation, and no amount of monitors, TrackIR and whatnot will come close to the (peripheral) view you have in the real cockpit.

So I guess because of the above it would actually make sense to reverse the logic from reality and at least scale the HUD depending on camera Z position such that it fits on the glass. Yes, that is not how a real HUD behaves, but it would at least allow the use of the HUD with non-default camera positions.

Or maybe simply give us a setting in the settings dialog where we can enter a HUD scaling factor. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,

F.

10 minutes ago, Finlayson said:

handles the HUD differently

Correct. HUD is now rendered by X-Plane.

10 minutes ago, Finlayson said:

So, the question then is: is this a bug or a feature?

Feature.

11 minutes ago, Finlayson said:

restored in the XP12 version of the CL650

I think I can say with almost certainty that won’t/can’t happen (but I’m not the developer).

• Finlayson changed the title to [SOLVED] HUD projection